• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What are you watching on YouTube now ?

Crows playing in the snow! Having fun on a snowy day.

Learned what the word Xenia means in Greek.
Interesting that the video doesn't mention it's a popular female name in some countries. I have two co-workers who have this name.
We pronounce X as Ks though, not Z

That's the correct (Greek) pronunciation ^^
It's also incongruent to pronounce xenos* as zenos, but Zeno still as Zeno :p

*the x in English has the sound of the Greek letter Ξ, which is the one in ξένος. Pronounced as ks. Αξ a question.

Last edited:
Do you call him Zeno in Greek as well, or are you just using his much more well-known name?

Do you call him Zeno in Greek as well, or are you just using his much more well-known name?
I'll risk it, being of the view this isn't a set-up for a horrible pun :)
What is "his much more well-known name" supposed to be? [and yes, we call him Zeno(n)].

meh, so you just meant that in the hypothetical case the name was pronounced/spelled very differently in English, that would be "his much more well-known name"? As Herakles would say in that English-speaking show:

What is "his much more well-known name" supposed to be? [and yes, we call him Zeno(n)].
I believe spelling X as Z is just an English language peculiarity. For example Zenia sounds ugly comparing to Xenia IMO, these are two different letters for reason.
Same for Zenon which can be confused with Xenon this way.

I meant whether you say Zenon when speaking Greek or just default to Zeno.

Top Bottom