1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What did you achieve this year? 2019 edition

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Oct 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

In addition to learning another language, something that felt basically impossible, I stopped smoking weed regularly which seemed super possible while I was smoking it and turned out to be true with the major caveat that giant lifestyle changes are the only thing to make it easy.

This year I did a 10 (12) day silent mediation “retreat” (intense camp) to start 2019 off after taking all the psychedelics necessary. I had a big ass mustache and a skullet worthy of @Lefty Scaevola . Shaved it all for the meditation event and for my nieces and I look less glorious but way more sexy.

I finished my halfway point in a foreign language requirement hanging over me for my undergraduate degree for many many many years, living in Texas and confirming I like coasts.

Before leaving and passing my second class I threw the after hours party I dreamed throwing in Texas with the people I wanted to throw it with. Techno in one room and gay multi format party in another in a converted hair salon after hours. To most of the players I was the backdrop but quietly I was the keystone.

I moved back home and techno’d really hard and played my original music for the second time at a pig roast dance party but in a way for the first for a judgmental crowd to good response. I worked for my dad which was actually really nice as well and did good work. At this time I researched Spanish language schools to turbocharge my abilities so that I could finish the next to semesters because the Hygro that self sabotaged is over.

Sad news too, the second of my aunts and uncles died. Many left but it’s no consolation.

I moved to Nicaragua for six weeks, got support for four more, and had quite the experience here. And I’m not done.

I plan to move back, finish school in the summer of 2020, get a job in the tech bubble capital of the universe, and continue posting here.

Truthy, hobbsyoyo, Snerk and 7 others like this.
  2. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Fell in love.

Pretty much nothing else tho.

MaryKB, Truthy, Hygro and 6 others like this.
  3. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I consider that one the biggest win.
    Most everything else pales in comparison.

Kyriakos, The_J and hobbsyoyo like this.
  4. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Yes.

5. Snerk

Snerk Finger Lickin' Good

Alright lets see..

- more exams, good results. Won't be until next year when I can get things a little more started for real though.
    - met a girl, we had a nice little relationship, didn't last though but that's life. Made me rethink my forever alone lifestyle.
    - bagged a greylag goose, so that was a first.
    - started seeing a shrink, I think it's been somewhat constructive but it's a little hard to say.
    - quit nicotine

Overall I think I've made some progress. Health woes still putting spanners in the works 24/7 but that's what it is. Been pretty miserable these last few months but here's hoping that means I'm due for a turn upwards. :)

MaryKB, Narz, Truthy and 7 others like this.
  6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

My big accomplishment was sticking with a decent exercise regime the entire year. There were a couple of breaks mostly due to outside circumstances but I think this is the longest I've been committed to working out in my life. The rest of the year was pretty hit or miss but I think things are working out in a positive way.

MaryKB, Narz, Snerk and 6 others like this.
  7. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Any last minute achievements?

8. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Oh, sure:
    • We submitted a manuscript to Science, and it has not go rejected yet, so that's already not bad :D
    • Visited another country this year (that didn't happen within the last month, but anyways)
    • Had very recently a promising job interview, and probably another one soon
    • Had finally a nice date this year (2 with the same girl actually)
    This year still looks good :).

Snerk, hobbsyoyo, Birdjaguar and 2 others like this.
  9. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

No debts, no injuries, no broken hearts (mine or other), no guilt for not doing something and no regrets even without doing anything major. I guess this has been from one side most inactive year, but same time most peaceful I ever had. It had lowest mileage of cycling since age 14 (now 30) and same time I don't feel any issues with that. That is new. I want to keep this feeling for next year - no matter what actually happens - "to do things I want to do..(that others do only being commanded :D )"

Snerk, Kyriakos and The_J like this.
  10. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Professional Killjoy Moderator

Published again and built a new computer!

Truthy, Birdjaguar, hobbsyoyo and 2 others like this.
  11. Truthy

Truthy Idle

• I spent a few months moping and being broken hearted. The achievement is I moved on
    • I created an algorithm, made a nice software package for it, wrote a paper, and submitted it for publication. Will find out later this month if it was accepted
    • I made a fun politics website thingy
    • I exercised regularly, gained 15 pounds in muscle, and ran my first race (a 10k)
    • I read or listened to 16 books (and counting)

Snerk, Kyriakos, The_J and 3 others like this.
  12. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Not dying...

rah, Snerk and Birdjaguar like this.