What have you achieved in 2016?

Kyriakos

Creator
Somewhat predictably an annual thread... :) This time about 2016.

I thought of waiting a few more days (last year it was started in the 15th of November iirc), but feared the deluge of posts/threads just after the result of the US election, so it is a bit earlier this time around...

Question is simple, as well as ruthless. What did you achieve this year?

As for me, well, not very much tbh. Continued some paid seminar work in the municipality libraries, but still no breakthrough. Had some good news from a different (not down to myself) source. Book is now 1 year old and seems to be near a new edition. Will move to a better house in the very near future. In a lot better mood by now, though :)

Negative: wrote less (actually only 2 large stories completed in a year... :/ And in total only 5 stories completed this year). This will have to change in 2017.

Basically nothing.

I did more writing in 2016 than I have in many years but it was pretty much all for naught.

I went to Hong Kong and Malaysia and Vietnam so that was cool.

Other than that I am still stuck in a dead end job with no upward mobility and lack the resources to ever get out of a low income job or move to a big city like I want to. Also I still screwed the pooch on the whole meeting people thing. And I don't have enough talent in any single area to ever accomplish anything so this question will always have the same answer.

I went to Japan and tried a lot of food. I also went on 4 dates. That's the most number of dates I've ever gone on in one year. I learned a lot. Including how to go on a date with 2 girls at the same time

I also went to New York and saw The Book of Mormon. And spent some time in Cincinnati.

Does going to my team's first ever home playoff game count? I've been waiting for that moment for 10 years and this year it finally happened.

I also entered the push up challenge. Was supposed to do 22 pushups a day for 22 days I think. So far I've only done 4, but it's the thought that counts. Plus the money I donated to the "Wounded Warriors" organization

All in all it's been a good year. I'm having a tough time remembering what else I did. I guess in the summer it was really hot so I just stayed indoors.

My most recent accomplishment was not swearing at the guy subbing for the building manager this morning - the water's turned off today and they didn't bother telling anyone they were going to do that. At least there was just enough water to give the cats enough to drink.

I won a caption contest the other day on a Star Trek forum. No tangible prize, just bragging rights for the next couple of weeks.

Otherwise, my major accomplishments this year include two successful Camp NaNoWriMo events in April and July, when I met and exceeded my target word count (and have two winners' badges to show for it). I'm currently in the midst of the main November NaNoWriMo event - a harder one, but two days in and it's so far, so good. I hope to meet and exceed the 50,000-word target and pull off a hat trick.

I went to Japan and tried a lot of food.
Any pictures? or it didnt happen.

I just keep going and by that I mainly mean my spiritual life. Not giving up is a kind of succes I guess. I didnt traveled much this year and I suppose I will make up for it rather soon...

I'll get back to you in a day or two. I'm on the verge of my fastest domination win ever at Deity in Civ V. If I secure it, it will probably count as my biggest achievement for the year.

(It won't really count for much, though: England on an islands map.)

I looked up what a washlet is. 95% of all toilets in Japan are like this. The seats are heated, there's buttons to spray water up your butt if you're a guy, there's a similar button for girls that sprays in a slightly different location (it was pretty much a scrotal cleaning button), there's buttons for sound (to mask pooping sounds), volume buttons, various flush buttons, and all sorts of other buttons I was too afraid to try.

Returning home to Canada and stepping into a bathroom was like stepping into a 3rd world country. Like going from your smart phone back to a rotary.

I want to upgrade but I have 3 toilets at home and these washlets/smarttoilets seem pricy. Plus installation. So for now I'm going to wait, but I'm upgrading at some point

I was scared horsehockyless about using the bum gun in Vietnam, I was convinced I would mess up and spray water everywhere but my ass, but after using it for awhile I am thoroughly convinced that irritating your butt with rough toilet paper over and over is actually inferior and grosser in every way.

I've been really curious about these things. Does the wash replace toilet paper? And do you end up with a wet bum after the fact, or does it blow dry it?

Reduces toilet paper. I use toilet paper to dry, I ain't got time for the blow dryer.

I want to upgrade but I have 3 toilets at home and these washlets/smarttoilets seem pricy. Plus installation. So for now I'm going to wait, but I'm upgrading at some point

You could upgrade just one toilet, and split up duties between toilets. I found installation pretty easy, though my toilet had a plug right behind it already, which was convenient.

Had 4 new years resolutions:
- lose 8 kg. I'm at 6 kg right now
- Be able to run 10km
- to do this with a speed of 10 km/h. Both achieved, on a tread mill. Outside still necessary
- get a girlfriend (not achieved at all).

Some things which were not on the plan:
- gave a talk at a conference
- finished the strong viking obstacle run, 13 km
- started with the free weights in the gym
- first time organized my holidays on my own
- been to 4 different countries this year
- learned a new dance
- tried MMA and HEMA
- been the first time to real music festivals (Trance, Techno/House, Heavy Metal)
- been to different events/locations which I've not seen before (e.g. King's day in Amsterdam, Gay pride in Amsterdam)

...yeah...think I can be pretty happy with myself :).

You can get a basic cold water bidet for $30~. Not remotely like the advanced toilets but a good start to revolutionizing the pooping experience for anyone who visits you.

To answer the OP: My greatest accomplishment this year is giving pooping advice to people on an internet forum. Besides that, nothing at all. Literally nothing.

I found installation pretty easy, though my toilet had a plug right behind it already, which was convenient.

Yeah, I would have to get an electrician to install a new outlet, then get somebody to fix up the wall, etc. It'll have to wait until after I finish paying off my trip

As per ^^ $30 seems way too cheap for a smart toilet! I wouldn't be happy with it unless it has 10+ buttons

I don't feel to need anything anymore. I just go. I land. I feel released.

That's the only thing achieved in 2016 that is worth mentioning.

I graduated high school, started college, registered to vote, got my full driver's license, officially left my old religion, met some friends, and learned a lot of stuff, but failed to get a job or a girlfriend. Overall it's been a pretty good and busy year.

I guess in the summer it was really hot so I just stayed indoors.

That sounds like something someone says where I live, not someone in Canada.

Top Bottom