What did you achieve this year? 2019 edition

Won an honorable mention in the Writers of the Future contest. This means no publication, no money, bit I got a nifty poster to hang on my wall.

One goddaughter graduated from college, the other from high school. :high5:

Lots of repairs on the house. :hammer:

My big achievement will be next year.

Good

1. Total body stransformation
- Lost about 20KG of fat and build considerable muscle instead
- Squatting well above the double of my body weight (deadlifting is almost there)
- Fat level just above 15%
Spoiler :

2. Setup a company and now have my own startup (on top of my day job)
3. I still have a good job
4. My daughter loves me and she is becoming quite good in judo (for a 6 years old)
5. Very fun personal life

Bad
A. No paying customers for my startup yet (but we are just enetering Q4, there is still hope)
B. No career advancement in my current job
C. No medals in fencing (I improved a lot but I don't have time to do proper technical training)
D. Very messy personal life

In general it is a positive year so far, but it fall short of my original targets.
Between work, daughter, startup, gym, etc. I have very limited free time and not very clear direction: I do too many things while I whould focus much more to a more limited number of goals

Last edited:
Quite predictably, an annual thread...

So, what did you achieve in 2019?

As for me:

Positive:
- three new books -translations- printed (well, to be pedantic, the third is to appear this November)
- translated another book
- contracted to complete (and did so) an online lit seminar, which fortunately pays well!

Negative:
- one year older
- no new own work published

Didn't someone with a weird nom de guerre like Princess Ineffable or Hello Kitty double your Patreon receipts recently? Or am I getting a fake news feed from the Kremlin again?

I just noticed I've managed to stay active on CFC for a year now - I think that merits an prestigious achievement ! :D (my first post after a huge break was achievements edition 2018 I think :think:)

- I stayed true to myself
- I've managed to keep my job for a year, which is an achievement for me (may not seem like it to others but I'm happy about that)
- I got drunk maybe hmmm like 4 or 6 times during this year, which is an "upgrade" over previous years. To clarify - the less, the better xD (again it's probably not an achievement to others but to me it certainly is :D)
- I've got the honor to know You all guys and gals, to talk with You all on this forum, it's great, You're the best ! :)

"Well ,that's all she wrote" (wonder from where that quote is coming from - I remember first hearing it in Fallout New Vegas at the beginning of the game)

Positive :
1. No back-spasm attacks this year
2. Fitter than I've ever been (well I'm sure my 20yo self fitter in some ways just on virtue of being 20 but my strength at highest point ever & flexibility probably better than it has been in at least 10 years)
3. Better friendships than last year
4. Slightly improved peace of mind
5. Got out of (another) crappy relationship
6. Amazing roommate rn

Negative :
1. $5k in the red
2. Single w/ no one to cuddle/bang/be all cutesy with
3. I've grinded my teeth down into horrible shape (positive : I've manned up & realized I just have to wear my biteguard even tho I hate the thing)
4. I'm 40 and the skin on my face looks bad up close (sun damage & just simply aging)

Positives:
  • Better social / work / online balance. I'm what you'd call Extremely Online, (surprising nobody :p), and in the past had a good few friends I originally knew online. These days, all being adults with varying degrees of life and adult problems, less in contact. It's a shame, but lead me to realise I can't hang onto "online" quite so much, and just stick with the couple of communities I have. This includes you folks, though I'm a bit new to OT :)
  • Lot of work achievements. Too many to list (also not technically sure what I can list), but involved with some major customer go-lives across a few continents. Managed the first implementations with various software vendors, and so on. I'm just a guy in a team, can't take all the credit, but this year definitely helped me understand what I'm good at, and what I can be even better at!
  • Relatedly, went on a work trip to Jerusalem. Went very well!

Negatives:
  • Health is eh. Weight could be a lot better. Lots of good relaxing evenings watching TV with my wife, walks in the park with my overexcitable toddler, and so on. Just not as much of an improvement as I wanted (for reference, I'm what you'd definitely call overweight, and I used to be a competitive swimmer. Bit of a transition :D).
  • Still too hyperfocused on whatever issue I'm preoccupied with at the time.
  • Not much time for personal software work. Been working on-and-off with a 2D game engine (for years) and have had very little time this year with it at all.

Positive:
- Finished my master's thesis(?)
- Got my master's degree
- New job and income

Negative:
- Not too fond of my job...
- Still hurting a lot since my break up last year.
- Moved back to my parents, and still live there...
- Loneliness/mental health - It's hard getting new friends.

Whats that?
:lol: When I posted that, our little economic development think tank was waiting for a $2 million contract. We'd been working on getting it for almost a year with an Indian tribe and had been through 3 approval processes including government staff, the tribal governor and Tribal Council. The last step was to be our review of the actual contract that was to happen last week. Instead, the tribal warchief, "blew up" the government and folks were demoted, fired or they resigned. Turmoil in the pueblo! We were told last Friday to reduce our expectations to zero. Indians on the warpath is still a thing. Oh well. We'll see what happens when the dust settles. On to greener pastures for now. With that gone, I will have lots of time to do things rather than achieve things. Trip planning time. )

:lol: When I posted that, our little economic development think tank was waiting for a $2 million contract. We'd been working on getting it for almost a year with an Indian tribe and had been through 3 approval processes including government staff, the tribal governor and Tribal Council. The last step was to be our review of the actual contract that was to happen last week. Instead, the tribal warchief, "blew up" the government and folks were demoted, fired or they resigned. Turmoil in the pueblo! We were told last Friday to reduce our expectations to zero. Indians on the warpath is still a thing. Oh well. We'll see what happens when the dust settles. On to greener pastures for now. With that gone, I will have lots of time to do things rather than achieve things. Trip planning time. )

Exploiting native americans does not pay :nono:

Exploiting native americans does not pay :nono:
You'd be right, if we were exploiting them.During the last six months we have been designing very explicit, measurable, deliverables spelled out over 16 months. Most of those revolved around creating actual, full time jobs for tribal members. We don't engage in BS consulting mumbo jumbo that doesn't actually move the needle in the direct a client want to go.

It seems I've maintained my job. So far. Until a raise-talk comes up, I'm sure.

Didn't read as much or create as much as I wanted to. No more time for it, it seems. :/

Top Bottom