What have you achieved in 2016?

Which mountain did you climb? Got plans to climb any more?

Mt. Charleston. Nothing too major for serious climbers. But for someone in average shape, I was quite satisfied. 16 miles, 8 up, 8 down 4200 feet of elevation gain. Top out at around 11, 914 feet. My knees can't take any more than that, so doubtful I'll climb anything more ambitious like Whitney (which isn't far from where I live). In my 20's I climbed Wheeler peak, but that trail starts out much higher so you only hike 4.5 miles up and 4.5 back, but the mountain is actually higher than Charleston.

I would like to do Humphry's Peak in Arizona (highest point in Arizona), it looks to be easier than Charleston despite being higher. Our highest point is actually Boundary peak, but it's very remote, and not something I plan on tackling by myself, nobody else would be out there. Wheeler and Charleston are our 2nd and 3rd highest peaks.

Last edited:
That seems to be over 1 km of elevation gain, that would be quite an exerting day of hiking! That's probably more intense than most other people have done so I dunno if you want to compare yourself to serious climbers only, I say compare yourself to everybody else and pat yourself on the back for that awesome achievement

I have to agree with warpus- everything beyond 1000m elevation is already quite good, especially combined with a distance larger than 10 miles- as most people are usually only capable of one of them.
One of my personal achievements for this year is hiking the southern part of the bright angle trail of the Grand Canyon- i did it once before with my parents when i was a kid and wanted to return for a long time now- my new goal is now to do the crossing within the next few years.
I am also happy to have improved the relation to my dad- not that it was too bad to start with, but i think we no have a better mutual understanding.
For the more profane stuff: i survived two outsourcing cycles at work and got a good raise.

On the negative side i lost contact to my cousin when he moved to spain and i gained the wrong kind of wheight

What you should maybe see as an achievement is that you stayed an open-minded and questioning person, despite the fact that all your peers seem to be idiots. That is an achievement, many people would've given up in this situation.

I don't know. I've been told that I'm not open minded.

I don't know. I've been told that I'm not open minded.

I'm maybe phrasing it wrong, but I mean that you question things and do not just accept them because someone tells you. And that's something in your situation :).

And hey, maybe set a goal for next year?
Visit another country? Start a sport? Anything?

Speaking of countries, which country should I visit next? I am looking for a cheap(er) trip this year so it will have to be someplace cheaper than Japan or Norway. I'm thinking maybe Portugal or somewhere in South America.

Cuba.

Yeah I could do a cheap all inclusive resort vacation in Cuba.. hmm.. It's actually been on my list, I am not really a huge fan of resorts, but Cuba is dirt cheap and I would actually really enjoy just sitting around on the beach for days doing nothing. I think I need something like that. Plus seeing Havana first-hand would be great too.

My plan was to go before the floodgates were opened and Americans started showing up - not because I have anything against Americans, but because it would lead to crowding and higher prices. I have no idea if Americans are allowed to go yet or whatever, but I guess the sooner I go the better..

So hmm that is a good idea, thanks for the suggestion. If I went to Cuba for a week in the winter, it would leave me 3 vacation weeks to use for something else in the summer or fall. Maybe 3 weeks in Portugal could be cheap enough for that to work.

I'm maybe phrasing it wrong, but I mean that you question things and do not just accept them because someone tells you. And that's something in your situation :).

And hey, maybe set a goal for next year?
Visit another country? Start a sport? Anything?

I don't know, it seems like it's wrong to question anything.

It's pointless for me to set any goals. Visiting another country won't ever happen and I've never been any good at sports.

It's pointless for me to set any goals. Visiting another country won't ever happen and I've never been any good at sports.

In the end, we are all prisoners here, in life, Chukchi. Yet each one can shape how they deal with the particularities of their cell.
Most people have no way at all, so make noise around them, to lose sense of the ominous silence inside.

There is even a striking claim in a platonic dialogue, that in this life we are dead, and our bodies are our tombs... :) Rather poetic.

It doesn't mean you have to believe everything what you get told is wrong. If I tell you the sky is blue, then it's normally somewhat stupid to question that, but if I tell you the earth is flat, then you'd be better questioning that ;).

It's pointless for me to set any goals. Visiting another country won't ever happen

Why not? England is close by. Ferries, trains and flights are affordable. I mean I can fly to Dublin for 40€ (return).
Or maybe something easier.
When I was bored in summer, I decided that I should at least do once per month spend my weekend somewhere else. So I visited some cities. And there must be some cities in your surrounding, which you haven't seen. Or further away. London, Manchester, Liverpool, whatever. And it doesn't need a specific purpose. Just going there and seeing something you haven't seen before is a good purpose. It widens your horizon.

This reminds me, still need to do Leiden, Delft, Apeldoorn and Amersfoort before I leave the Netherlands.
For countries, I maybe should visit Itlay or France (have friends in both), and I was told Estonia is nice and cheap.

Visiting another country won't ever happen

Don't be so negative! Technically speaking Wales is only 50 km away.

I never thought I'd end up anywhere outside of Poland when I was growing up and look at me now. Escaped through the iron curtain and went to the end of the world. Got bitten by a monkey in Thailand. Rode an elephant in Scotland.

Some of that may or may not be true. Point is that I wish I was in your position! You are so close to so many interesting travel destinations. The only country near me is the U.S., and they've got guns

Well i fnished a career and will start another one next year, got a new girlfriend and lost her, learnt some things but forgot some others, earned some money and espent it, ... So dont know if i achieved anything indeed but it was a busy year, that is all i call for.

Last edited:
Some of that may or may not be true. Point is that I wish I was in your position! You are so close to so many interesting travel destinations. The only country near me is the U.S., and they've got guns

A pretty big selling point for many tourists..

Spoiler :

Is it an issue of money? You're in Bath, England! You could hop on a train to Bristol and from there fly to Dublin for 25USD. Or even Malaga, Spain for 95USD. If I lived in England (and still had the same paying job I have now) I'd be flying somewhere new in Europe ever month at least. I'm sure you could find a hostel to crash in, just watch out for bed bugs.

Top Bottom