• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What God wants:

Then He is doing a very bad job, IMHO. And It must be a He because I believe a woman would have done a much better job.

Hey, sometimes you've just gotta be firm with 'em. I think we did something bad arround Homo-Habillus, and got sent to our rooms with no supper for the next few million years. It's the only way we'll learn...

Then He is doing a very bad job, IMHO. And It must be a He because I believe a woman would have done a much better job.

Nah, I believe an It would have done a much better job.

Perhaps a god would want us to prove that making us wasn't a waste of time.

Since he knows everything that's ever going to happen, he already knows the answer to that. Which actually makes you quite optimistic if your religous, assuming we're alone in the universe, like some religous people do, as if we aren't going to do anything worthwhile it'd be hard to see why God would have bothered, of course if their are other species on other worlds then I guess a few glitches with the first experiment are expected, which makes me ask if God is perfect then why did he have a couple of goes at women before he made eve? Surely he's incapable of mistakes?

From my perspective generally it is hard to see why God would have bothered creating us though, complete waste of space really. Let's hope he wasn't just banking on us, I'm sure he's probably refined the process on other words and created races that aren't asshats, let's hope so anyway :)

Are you also assuming that this "god" entity exists uniquely?

Considering that most of us have been raised with monotheistic traditions, I suppose so. Also, it has a better ring to it than "What the Gods want:"

Then again, if you believe in (or feel like speculating about) multiple Gods, or some other variation of deific being(s), feel free to.

Matthew 7:12 "The Golden Rule"

Do for others what you would like them to do for you. This is a summary of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.

Here is one. But remember this is just a summary.

Matthew 22:35-40 said:
35One of them, an expert in religious law, tried to trap him with this question:36"Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?"37 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Thanks to Markus later in the thread for posting Matthew 22. :D Keeping to the commandments and doing to others as you wish others to do for you seems to be the jist of it in a round about extremely summed up version. I really need to start keeping notes.

EDIT: Also, I think the reason the Lord wants praise is so that we may stop praising ourselves and our own views of life. If we are praising him, we are not praising our own selfish ideals of the way this world works. Really the only way to understand is to read the scripture and follow it's teachings and have faith Jesus is your shepard and will lead you to salvation, eternal life, and the Kingdom of Heaven. The scriptures (OT and NT) hold the only truth in our world. This is why I praise the Lord for showing truth in the world.

Since he knows everything that's ever going to happen, he already knows the answer to that. Which actually makes you quite optimistic if your religous, assuming we're alone in the universe, like some religous people do, as if we aren't going to do anything worthwhile it'd be hard to see why God would have bothered, of course if their are other species on other worlds then I guess a few glitches with the first experiment are expected, which makes me ask if God is perfect then why did he have a couple of goes at women before he made eve? Surely he's incapable of mistakes?

From my perspective generally it is hard to see why God would have bothered creating us though, complete waste of space really. Let's hope he wasn't just banking on us, I'm sure he's probably refined the process on other words and created races that aren't asshats, let's hope so anyway :)

If a god is all powerful AND all knowing, then people are pretty much useless. If it already knows the exact consequences of its actions and knows it can carry those actions out, there is no reason to do them. Since we exist, I think there would have to be limits to a god.

Clearly, god wants you to strip naked, cover your head with raw bacon, and run down the streets singing "Man of La Mancha." Do it now, unless you're a Satan worshiper!

How about another pretty lady? It's been years since he's gotten any action.

(Well... that we know of...)

I suspect that it's either the metaphorical equivalent of winning a game of Solitaire, or maybe a game of War.

Though, to us, the cards, it feels a bit like Slap Jacks.

Now that I think about it, why would God want anything at all?

He's GOD for goodness sakes.

I guess its another human folly in trying to comprehend the divine.

Shame on you to allow yourself so much pessimism - Especially on Christmas. Remember the Christmas message:

And the angel said, "Fear not, for I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.

Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. 12This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."

13Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

14"Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

Good news: Reconciliation, peace with God, and His peace for them who he favors with his Grace. For ALL people!

Well, our varous cells want hemoglobin to come by toting oxygen, sugars to fuel the ol' mitochondria, and amino acids to build new protiens. And some way to flush away the cell poo.

Humans want: Delivery boys to come by toting pizza and the opportunity to create more humans (which, according to several documentary films I have studied, also involves pizza boys.) And a place to go poo.

Extrapolating then up to God's level one must conclude that God is waiting for Earthlings to develop the penultimate in comfort foods, and space flight, then deliver it to Him whereupon, presumably, this will allow Him to Score. [insert Big Bang punchline here] In the meantime He is raining poo down on Earth so as to encourage us along.

As an agnostic, this strikes me as the most plausible scenario.

Merry Christmass all. :D

From a Fundamentalist Christian:

What God wants is reconciliation with YOU!

:goodjob:
And I though that God wants us to do the best we can in life other than forgiveness of sin? ;)

Matthew 7: 12 said:
Do for others what you would like them to do for you. This is a summary of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.
Personally I prefer:
Matthew 22 said:
37" 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[c] 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Personally I prefer:
Matthew 22 said:
37" 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

There it is. :D

Matthew 22:35-36
35One of them, an expert in religious law, tried to trap him with this question:36"Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?"

Shame on you to allow yourself so much pessimism - Especially on Christmas. Remember the Christmas message:

Good news: Reconciliation, peace with God, and His peace for them who he favors with his Grace. For ALL people!

Symptomatic of being a cynical realist I supose, I'm always questioning every deal :)

I suspect God is hoping humanity ends itself with a nuclear bang, so He can finally finish up His comparitive sociology PhD thesis and submit it. Even infinite patience has its limits, after all.

Top Bottom