[GRAPHICS] What If Unit Thread: Matsuda123, Kine100, and Mattem's Latest Additions

Yeah possibly... I'll probably stick to the Zeppelin look though, but in the shape of culturally derived sources of inspiration. Tanks are going to be rather difficult. Or I should say, WWII tanks will be hard. Landships actually have a lot to experiment with.

WW1 tanks shouldn't be that hard to do. Just look at the wide variety of them that existed and extrapolate. Also, don't be afraid to try and play with adding effects to units. That's what I did for my ship mod. And in WW1 of all times stuff like a dragon inspired tank that therefore has a flamethrower makes sense.

Yes, Landships will be pretty fun to design I think. :)

Upcoming unit: Fire Cannon (Japanese Bombard replacement)
Stage: 2

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 11.51.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 11.51.36 PM.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 335
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 11.51.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 11.51.59 PM.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 328
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 11.52.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 11.52.14 PM.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 305
One thing I forgot is the period where existing wooden ships were equipped with steam engines but still used sails as well, and the sides were reenforced with metal. Iron Frigates and such were common in Europe before full steam and metal ships were common, where as full metal was developed faster in the United States in a limited degree around the Civil War.

where as full metal was developed faster in the United States in a limited degree around the Civil War.
Not quite. The first full metal ship was HMS Warrior developed by the British well before your civil war. And it only got better from there. Europe was definitively in the lead with warship designs of all types throughout the period and beyond. American full metal ship designs of the period were limited to short range coastal monitors.

Yes but hybrid warships were being phased out but were still the bulk of european navies for a time. There was a transition period between full sail navies and full steam metal navies.
True. And for some that period took embarrassingly long. Just look at say the battle of Lissa. Although it did produce an image that inspired an upcoming model line of mine.
Spoiler :

I'll probably focus more on the gunboat variety of Ironclads, but those are good for consideration though.

I don't know, I've never been huge on just reskinning stuff... I prefer a nice, designed from the ground up sort of model. Currently trying to learn texturing from Kine100. I'll try out his tips tonight. Really want to make those city graphics usable. I have like 5 new city sets models done... They just need a good texture job. Then Asia will finally have new sets.

If you are going to be making paddle boats I could be convinced to release my custom animation set for those to you.

That is very good news. I may make steam transports so that could work.

Part of the problem is that I just can't get a program to import / export nifs properly. I don't know how to do uv mapping, and these programs not working is driving me up the wall...

What modeling program are you using? I use 3d Max and it works just fine.

It's more that I can't find functional older versions of 3d Max, so it becomes very difficult to attempt to learn uv mapping when I'm struggling to get the program to work at all.

I personally work on 2014 and all the plugins and such work just fine. And last time I checked the Nif plugin (which is all you really need) supports up to 2018. So you don't have to go that far back version vise.

What I really miss (and have plans for) is Firecart - non-korea (non-asian) versions of the Hwacha. I don't like Hwacha replacing Catapult.
It's really just the guy the should be replaced with other ethnicities.
Do you plan to do such model? Or did someone already did them?

Top Bottom