[GRAPHICS] What If Unit Thread: Matsuda123, Kine100, and Mattem's Latest Additions

I wasn't aware that there were other nations using the Firecart. Are there any pictures of this? Well in my mod Hwacha replaces Bombards, much more fitting.

It is possible, though the cart would look cooler if it were changed a bit between different groups.

Also I'm glad to know more modern versions of 3ds Max can work. I will look into those, that should make things easier.

I wasn't aware that there were other nations using the Firecart
Err... I dunno... but... did the Americans use Galleys or did the Babylonians use tanks? :mischief: :lol:
It's still a matter of "What if" :)
I just want to create a new unit, the Firecart that is replaced by the Hwacha.

I was meaning to say, were there any previous pictures of drawings of it? :) I like that for inspiration, I'm curious if others have looked into it before. I was also wondering if others had made a similar unit in Civ before. Or did you have ideas?

I don't know of any. Basically I'd be satisfied with just replacing the Asian guy with others.

Thinking... You could put a round shield on the sides or on the wheel for a European; a large Roman shield on the sides of the Roman/Greek; maybe a large mask on the African as if the bolts came from its mouth; feather on the Native-American... just make sure, they wont catch fire :lol:

Hello Matsuda (and MatteM and kine100)! I hope everything is progressing well. This is a really fun and interesting project. I imagine your artwork will open up lots of possibilities for other modders.

I just read this post (by Hamilton321) on the history of cuirassiers:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/cuirassiers-history-and-civ4.649344/

It got me thinking that a complete overhaul of cuirassiers would really play to your creative strengths. Not to mention that a civ-specific line of cuirassiers would be very helpful in filling in some artistic gaps :thumbsup:

I really liked your sketches for Meso muskets/rifles, so I'm looking forward to the creation of your gunpowder units. Thank you for all your hard work:king:

Last edited:
Hello Matsuda (and MatteM and kine100)! I hope everything is progressing well. This is a really fun and interesting project. I imagine your artwork will open up lots of possibilities for other modders.

I just read this post (by Hamilton321) on the history of cuirassiers:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/cuirassiers-history-and-civ4.649344/

It got me thinking that a complete overhaul of cuirassiers would really play to your creative strengths. Not to mention that a civ-specific line of cuirassiers would be very helpful in filling in some artistic gaps :thumbsup:

I really liked your sketches for Meso muskets/rifles, so I'm looking forward to the creation of your gunpowder units. Thank you for all your hard work:king:

Thank you as well for your interest~ It's slow going currently. I want to learn to texture as well so I can speed up the process much more, but I don't really know how. I especially want to put out new citysets, which several models are complete for.

That could be good. I will have to look into that. I am glad you like the meso weaponry designs. I'm definitely interested in giving culture groups their own unique firearms and uniforms, as well as vehicles. When I learn texturing and rigging, this can go much faster~ If anyone knows these, I would be really glad to learn.

The Eagle Warriors that already exist look like dudes wearing a silly bird hat in a Walmart chicken halloween costume. I thought it would look cooler if they wore a closed helmet. I didn't want to go full Jaffa Horus guard. I did decide to try the Jaffa staff weapon thing with the SDI laser effect. But, to be more realistic I also did another version with the red coats rifle/bayonet.
Historically they would have wore a thick cotton shirt much like western gambesen armor. I thought that would look lame so I went rambo style no shirt.

Link: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/eagle-warrior.28161/

The first one looks like some dude in a chicken suit. :lol: I guess that was the style at the time...

The others are cool. Maybe a gold cuirass with long feathers coming off the shoulder pauldrons.

Wow I am really impressed by that new Eagle Warrior it is amazing. WOW

The laser version would be awesome if your doing a mesoamerican inspired legendary/fantasy civilization. That armor in the second post above looks pretty cool for such a role actually...

I'll be considering all of these things, good sirs. :) I am still alive and interested in Civ IV modding. I've been adjusting to living life in Japan recently, that's what's been holding me up. That, and the lack of any wifi at my apartment. But trust me, units will and are being made. That Haida Galley and proper Japanese Spearman are coming very soon. The Galley is nearly finished.

Meso armor sounds awesome. I like the idea of them having some form of metal armor with their own discovery of metal casting and other technology like that. Same goes for Native American tribes and others. Lots of new ideas are sure to come and be made. It's really cool to work with you especially Mightytoad. :) I'm thinking I'll crank out a Jomon warrior for Japan's warrior unit, and get some unique looking siege units for everybody, as well as ships. Let's try to imagine some more mesoamerican style siege units. Any ideas on what their catapults and trebuchets can look like?

Matsuda it occurred to me after you went radio silent. You don't necessarily have to UV map with blender. You only REALLY need blender to convert to nif. I would think Maya could do all of that. For buildings you could just export as OBJ and import into nifskope with no blender at all. Or maybe I'm wrong.

Matsuda it occurred to me after you went radio silent. You don't necessarily have to UV map with blender. You only REALLY need blender to convert to nif. I would think Maya could do all of that. For buildings you could just export as OBJ and import into nifskope with no blender at all. Or maybe I'm wrong.

I will surely try this. It could be that this is possible, although I will need to learn UV mapping with Maya. Or, perhaps you have a good method for Blender? :) I would love to learn, if you have time to teach. :)

Furthermore, I have a new siege weapon ready for skinning and rigging. Loved the Japanese Fire Cannon in Civ III's Sengoku Jidai scenario, so here it is in 3D. :D Perhaps it is possible for the projectile to be launched from it? I separated the wheels and fire bolt from the cannon mount, so maybe that will let the wheels be animated and the projectile launch..?

Attachments

• Fire Cannon.zip
    44.6 KB · Views: 149
Go here:
http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/Blender

You will notice if you scroll down the page a bit. They list 3 things to down load and the order to install them in including blender 2.49. Its important and use the install programs. Don't try to install manually with the zip files cause you will fail. ( I know from experience :( ).
It also only works with 32bit. I have no idea if a mac can run that or python. Good luck. :)
This is The Coyote's blender tutorial:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/tut-how-to-make-a-unit-with-blender.9807/

Scroll down to page 6 or 7 I think to get to the UV stuff.

Im actually working on two siege units right now. A ship and a siege tower. So, it will take longer to do yours as well.

Alright, I will try my best. :) Thank you.

That's ok, I'm excited to see your stuff too, it'll all get done in good time. In the meantime I'll finish the Spearman, and retexture your ships. :)

Love the Japanese Fire Cannon in Civ III's Sengoku Jidai scenario, so here it is in 3D. :D Perhaps it is possible for the projectile to be launched from it? I separated the wheels and fire bolt from the cannon mount, so maybe that will let the wheels be animated and the projectile launch..?

Why is it called a "Fire" cannon? Does it shoot fire? Because, it looks like it shoots darts. Maybe both?
Yeah, the wheels and arrow need to be seperate. I don't think it would literally shoot the arrow. The animation will just "hide" the arrow with a boolean visibility thing. Then use the chinese arrow effect. Maybe add fire and smoke as well.
It will probably be cast bronze aswell?

I believe it's called that because it's based on the Bo-Hiya. Cannons that launched rockets that exploded. It's iron actually... I'll show you some pictures. There's one in Age of Empires 3 actually. They call it the flaming arrow. Likely done because the Japanese tried to conserve iron since they didn't have much, so cannons shot other projectiles.

Attachments

• images.jpeg-3.jpg
    images.jpeg-3.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 143
  • images.jpeg-4.jpg
    images.jpeg-4.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Flaming_Arrow.jpg
    Flaming_Arrow.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 163
  • images.jpeg-5.jpg
    images.jpeg-5.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 168
More likely it was just a case of trying to build a cheap HE or incendiary shell. It's much cheaper and easier to build a fire arrow than it is to design and cast a HE shell. And it has to be cast because how else are you going to drill the hole in the middle? And even than you won't get that much of a payload. That's why various forms of fire arrow were popular throughout the world and especially in Asia for a long time.

Also, all I can find about these on a cursory glance tells me they were fired out of rifles or cannon as a sort of rifle grenade. Which would lend credence to my theory.

This Fire Cannon looks promising. I'd really like to have a unit something like this. I really hate that the Korean Hwacha is replacing Catapults.
Please, make more national versions of this - when you have time of course :goodjob:

Top Bottom