1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What languages do you speak/are you learning?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ashcristokos, May 31, 2013.

1. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

I have never been slapped in the face, I usually manage to get conversations started. :(

2. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton How much Parmesan to put on your umbrella?

Don't be ashamed - nether was I*. Hollywood just raises too high expectations in that regard.

*except by my mother, didn't care for it, but it was my mother

3. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13224619&postcount=983

4. gangleri2001

gangleri2001 Garbage day!!!

Catalan: The Fatherland!
    Spanish: Native against my will.
    English: Fluent.
    German: Fluent even though I think it needs a pit stop because some areas are getting rusty but not much.
    Chinese: Intermediate about to break the wall and become a fully advanced/fluent/whatever-you-want-to-call-it speaker. It only would take about 3 months of practise and I'd be finally there and I'm planning to do that within the next year.
    Japanese: Somewhere in the border between beginner and intermediate. I keep working on it regularly though.
    Irish: Beginner.
    Basque, French, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Portuguese: Some vague notions.
    Arabic, Russian, Korean: Master the writing system but have no idea about the language itself.

5. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

That's like a dialect of Spanish, right?
    Spoiler :
    :mischief:

Only two years...?

Ich habe es gesehen, aber ich glaube nicht, dass mein Deutsch gut genug ist.

(Took me five minutes to find out how to say "good enough" :lol: )

6. gangleri2001

Two years is time enough to reach an intermediate level. In fact, I've heard and read of people that achieved advanced level in three months. It's all about spending your time learning it efficently. For example, I began learning Japanese last September and I've already acquired the level most people need 2 years and a half to reach (I'm already using the third year's book).

7. bonefang

bonefang Chieftain

I am from India.
    I speak, write and speak : English, Bengali, Hindi, Kannada

My hometown is a former Portuguese colony, so had to learn that as well. I remember only the swear words.

8. haroon

haroon Chieftain

English-> quite crappy :)
    Turkish-> Not good
    Arabic-> Brutally not good

My next semester will be a full language lesson (Arabic) if they don't cut my scholarship, I hope they never do that. I always try to figure out how to be able to learn language in a fun way, like the way I learn English (through games, film, comic) try it for my Turkish language playing mount and blade in Turkish mode, but it was not long.

9. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

But you wanted to, presumably. We're speaking about kids in high school. A few hours a week for two years is totally insufficient.

In this country, kids have foreign languages for 10 and 6 years respectively, and they still suck.

10. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus Moderator

Bear in mind that people who enjoy learning languages also tend to be people who are naturally good at them.

11. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

If there is such a thing like "being naturally good at languages". Many linguists are sceptical.

12. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

^One could say that using many languages is a bit 'algebraic', or a variation of that (using similar progressions, but replacing the known factors for a stable parameter; x,y etc in algebra, term meaning in languages).

A bit as if that 'algebra' was not about parameter definition, but developing alternative notations for the same/similar polyonymic equation.

13. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Deswegen musst du mit uns (oder mir) üben. Ich kann gut lesen aber sprechen ist mir schrecklich.

Spoiler :
    That's why you have to practice with us (or me). I can read well but my speaking leaves a lot to be desired.

14. gangleri2001

That's because before going on learning x language you should ask yourself whether you're making up excuses or not.

I'd say that it's the other way around: People is good at learning languages because they enjoy it.

15. amadeus

amadeus めっちゃしんどい

English and Japanese. I started learning Japanese only after I entered college—before that I had never taken a second language in school.

16. gangleri2001

@amadeus: 君の日本語は良いの?僕は日本語も勉強してる。しかし、日本人をまだ知らないから、日本語で話せない。

17. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Moderator Action: Remember to provide translations for all non-English content.

18. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

19. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

One of the issues with foreign language education in the United States is that English is used all around the world. It's seen as an unnecessary expense. However, Spanish is growing in necessity.

20. amadeus

amadeus めっちゃしんどい

アメリカに住んでた頃もそういう経験があったよ。
    I had the same experience in America.

My level is mixed; I can sit down and watch the news on TV and understand everything, even if there are gaps filled in from context, but sometimes I will read something and miss the point of a sentence because of subtle or (to me) awkward grammar rules.

Unfortunately, I haven't been motivated to study, so my level only increases slightly just from the effect of living here.