1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What languages do you speak/are you learning?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ashcristokos, May 31, 2013.

1. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

slecht maar optimisme heb ik

2. madviking

madviking north american scum

English: yup
    German: rudimentary
    Russian: fading
    Polish: Russia spoken by ducks

3. gangleri2001

gangleri2001 Garbage day!!!

There you go. By the way, if you people think that I've made any mistake, let me know.

Native/Bilingual/Multilingual/Native-like

Fluent/Advanced

Intermediate

Beginner

Some knowledge

4. haroon

haroon Chieftain

@gangleri2001 :thumbsup:

5. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

^Wait, i am supposedly less fluent in Engleiz than other non-native english speakers here? :( Why am i only advanced by not 'native-like'? Unless you just mean i look better that those 'natives' :)

6. gangleri2001

:confused:

You are already in the Fluent/Advanced group.

7. Kyriakos

But i even studied in an Englezic university :/ Bilingual seems closer to those categorizations..

8. gangleri2001

I've studied in a German university and I don't think of myself as a bilingual speaker. Bilinguals have no accents or any trait showing that the language they speak is not their first language. For example, people couldn't tell the difference between me and a Spanish monolingual if they only heared the way I speak Spanish. That's being bilingual and finding somebody that has achieved that with a language they have learned "artificially" and as adults happens very rarley. That's why I doubt you really belong to the native-like category but correct me if I'm wrong.

9. Kyriakos

^Well, my accent isn't english/american or other of this variety. Although accents aren't often argued to be a basis for being monolingual or bilingual, i mean bilingual is there primarily to be juxtaposed to monolingual people, or polyglots.

Anyway, moving on :D

10. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Oh wow, thanks for that list!

11. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

You should add Slovak and list me as having some knowledge of it.

If I try hard, I can approximate Slovak fairly acceptably (as basically any Czech with sufficient exposure to it could).

12. Absolution

Absolution Chieftain

Well,

Hebrew, and much better than common native Hebrew speakers...

My English is quite good, I'd say. It is hard for me when it comes to deep writings like in the History Forum, but mostly I'm proud of my English, and working on a fluent British accent. :)

And as a Capoeirista, I know some Portuguese (Brazilian of course!), but I still have a lot to learn.

A little bit of Arabic, mainly reading and basic grammar knowledge, what I remember from the 3 years of Arabic lessons at school...

Where did you learn Arabic?

13. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

I'm a native English speaker. I have a rudimentary knowledge of Russian, and a fading knowledge of Latin.

14. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Chieftain

(I don't understand any Portuguese lol)

15. haroon

haroon Chieftain

I heard Chinese and Japanese are easy language to learn if only for conversation purpose, especially Chinese. I'm not talking about learning how to read and write in those language which you require to learned around 1500 character to be able to read properly, while Japanese beside Kanji you must also learn Hiragana and Katakana (such pain).

My friend learn Chinese literature, and he able to understand around 5 language beside that. And he said to me you just need to know the vocab for Chinese language, and the grammar is pretty much easy and simple.

Is it true? what language you consider easy to learn? I want to learn easy and useful language for career purpose.

16. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

I forgot that I can understand Afrikaans and know a bit of Gaelic (Irish and Scottish, mostly in the "X forever" sense).
    I know a lot of words in other languages I just can't hold a proper conversation in them :p

17. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

According to some of my friends, there's no real grammar, deklinations, tenses, etc.
    So e.g. if you want to say that you did something yesterday (instead of today), you just add "yesterday" to the sentence. Or if you're talking about tomorrow, then you just add tomorrow.
    Apparently it's also the same with Indonesian. And google translate apparently also works pretty well between these languages, due to the lack of real grammar.

18. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

I object to "Scots" being considered a language.

19. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus Moderator

The difference between a 'language' and a 'dialect' is entirely a matter of perception. The different 'dialects' of Chinese are no more similar than German, Dutch and Afrikaans.

20. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

This very much. When most people talk about Chinese they really mean Mandarin, and the mutual intellibility between some of the Chinese "dialects" and Mandarin is worse than, say, Italian and Spanish.

I suppose a bad analogy would be like if the Roman Empire survived and it's official language was italian, with French, Spanish, Romanian, etc. as dialects.

Lines are blurry, and there are plenty of debates as to where the line between a language and dialect should be drawn, even among professional linguists.