What Sin Are You Most Guilty Of?

Tani Coyote

Son of Huehuecoyotl
What sin are you most guilty of?

Note: This isn't a topic to try and be the witty agnostic or atheist and say, "I don't believe in sin." Try "immoral quality" instead of sin is better in your dictionary. A simple, "I don't believe in sin" and adding nothing constructive will get you flagged for spam.

Lust - While considered to general refer to excessive sexual desire, it also is interpreted to mean a perversion(which does mean corruption, after all) of the mind to things such as treachery.

Gluttony - The overindulgence in anything to the point of waste, though traditionally associated with excessive consumption of food and drink.

Greed - Also called avarice, greed is the excessive desire for power, wealth, and status, though traditionally associated most with wealth.

Sloth - Laziness, either the feeling or the act. Traditionally considered least severe, since it is inaction rather than action.

Wrath - Uncontrolled feelings of rage and anger, and considered to be the root of hate, assault, murder, and genocide. Dante describes it as a "love of justice perverted to revenge and spite."

Envy - Similar to greed, except it is more of a general desire for something, rather than generally-material desires. It also is different in the sense that it is evoked in response to seeing someone else possess something you want; at its extreme, envy makes one want to deprive someone else of something they have.

Pride - Pride is the desire to be above others, the excessive love of oneself, and failure to acknowledge the accomplishments of others. Generally accepted as the most serious of all sins, due to how it makes one look down on others, in addition to being accepted as the sin (in religious circles) that caused the fall of Lucifer.

---

Like many, I'd say I'm guilty of just about all at some point... but my worst would be: Wrath, Greed, and Pride.

I'm greedy because of my desire for power, wealth, and influence; I'm proud because of my desire to be above others and excessive feelings of self-esteem; and I'm wrathful due to my emotional willingness to destroy just about anyone or anything to achieve my goals.. or even those who just annoy me. I also take a pleasure in vengeance, and that's fairly wrathful.

In line with the "love of justice" bit, I do derive pleasure from the thought of ruining the lives of those who ruined others'.

Lust, Greed, or Wrath

Lust, Greed, or Wrath

What has caused you to come to this conclusion?

I don't sin. I'm absolutely perfect in every way! :smug:

Due to moral relativity, you could easily be sinning in the eyes of everyone else yet be perfect in your own. :p

Think for example, La Veyan Satanism, which preaches indulging in the so-called sins, as part of its belief that life should be sheer pleasure rather than restraint.

Lust and sloth, in that order (and I'm too lazy to actually commit any other sin, so imagine how lustful I am)

All of them.

All of the above.

I am guilty of memorizing the seven deadly sins due to Fullmetal Alchemist.

--

If I were to tier my self-perceived weaknesses, they'd be:
1. lust, greed
2. wrath, pride
3. sloth, gluttony, envy

--

edit:
T-fox said:
moral relativity
Morals aren't relative. :)

What has caused you to come to this conclusion?

When I'm not engaging in sexual activities or thinking of how to hoard more money, I'm usually super-pissed off at something or someone.

Does kicking a dog that tried to maul your face count as wrath? or thinking some is a douche after they nearly hit you while on the sidewalk? if those aren't wrath then it's sloth for not going to confession. Or maybe it is Pride for thinking I'm better than someone who walks out of class and smokes weed all the time and can't put together a single coherent sentence nay a phrase.

Well, the one I'm most guilty of isn't on that list, so I guess I'm not sinning.

Due to moral relativity, you could easily be sinning in the eyes of everyone else yet be perfect in your own. :p

Think for example, La Veyan Satanism, which preaches indulging in the so-called sins, as part of its belief that life should be sheer pleasure rather than restraint.
I am not a moral relativist.

Perfection is the embodiment of the intangible concept, made tangible.

Top Bottom