1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Video Games Have You Been Playing #11: I should go

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Apr 14, 2019.

1. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Development was so slow, that I stopped following its years ago, now been eclipsed by games like Battlefleet Gothic
    Still for an indie title its a neat game I would recommend everyone that interested give the free demo a try.

2. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Now that it's on version 0.9 it is all coming together quite nicely, I expect it to be 1.0 released within 2 years

to me nothing eclipses this game, nothing even comes close to how detailed the spriting is, the game balance and general feel is quite good, lots of variety in the current content and some very good mods as well.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Proof that Murphy's Law applies in Oblivion:

I want to move on from the town I am in to another town. I've finished all the local quests I had picked up, and I'm avoiding a few I don't want to do right now. I've sold off all the stuff that my packrat soul could part with from my temporary HQ. I have one last project before I'm on my way, but I run short half a dozen arrows. Six. As it turns out, the project takes 52 and I only have 46. I could buy them from the smith, since I have sold her a couple hundred, at least, but can't bring myself to pay four coins per since I am the one that sold them to her for one apiece. Greed? Easily offended by injustice? Whatever.

Then I realize I do have one last petty task, involving a trek into the wilderness. The destination is really close to these ruins that I avoided because they were crawling with necromancers...and skeleton archers. Perfect. I won't need to fight the whole hoard, just catch one skeleton out on the fringes and relieve him of his arrows. I set out on my mission...and catch a disease from a wolf. By the time I get to the destination and finish the errand I'm sick as a dog, so trudging on is unappealing and I figure I'm in no shape to deal with the necromancer hoard if things go wrong. Back to town.

The place I went on the errand had reset, which was cool, and I vaguely thought that maybe the cells along the way might have reset and could spawn a bandit bowman for me. Of course not. But at least I made it to town and got cured.

Reset. Reset was on my mind. Right outside of town there's a little bandit cave. I cleared it out the first day I came to town. Surely it will have reset. I'll just go in, and the first bowman I find will be the turning point. Get the arrows, finish my project, and go. Don't have to clear out the whole cave and get bogged down with a bunch of scrap to unload before I get outta dodge.

Eight bandits. No bowmen.

I hate this game.

AdamCrock likes this.
  4. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Warlord

Is there any point to completing it? I think I got so bored and inattentive that I missed a button press around the 130 mark and never bothered doing it again.

5. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

At the end he just says something like "good job." And, uh, a sense of pride and accomplishment?

6. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Warlord

I do remember that the number-of-pull-ups/number-of-pull-up-exertion-sound-effects ratio is quite high. So you just get the same noises over and over again. I think if they were going to include something as pointless and lazy as that they could have at least recorded 168 different grunting noises.

7. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

Finally started Mass Effect 3.

The gameplay's a lot better, that's for sure. I like the weight system, the weapon variety, and the choices in skills. I find Squad Cryo ammo mixed with maxed-out Cryo Concussive Shot, the shatter-frozen-enemies skill, an upgraded Cerberus Harrier, and armor focused on increasing damage works wonders as I can freeze and shatter almost any mook in moments.

Still unsure about curing the genophage because it's clear the krogan will just conquer the galaxy if we defeat the Reapers, but oh well, I'm taking this approach to all races in the galaxy:

yung.carl.jung and cardgame like this.
  8. aimeeandbeatles

What class are you playing as?

Spoiler :
    Playing as Infiltrator made one part in Priority: Rannoch really funny. You face off against three Geth Primes. I used Sabotage on one, had Tali sabotage one, then waited a few seconds to have Tali also spawn one of her combat drones. That shot rockets. :lol: The fight was easier than it should have been.

Honestly, a lot of it depends on whether two specific Krogan characters are alive (which depends on decisions made in 1 & 2). Since they both lived in my game, I figured they'd be able to get things in line.

Spoiler :
    If both Wrex and Eve are dead, Mordin (if he survived to 3) can be talked out of curing the genophage. Otherwise you'll have to shoot him to sabotage the cure.

Wrex can be killed in the first game, and Eve will die if you don't save Maelon's data when doing Mordin's loyalty quest in 2.

I like looking up the outcomes of missions after doing them to see how well I did.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  9. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Master of Darkness

Murphy's law states that when You will buy back Your arrows from the smith next thing You'll see will be a bandit bowman attacking You the second You'll step out of the city gates :lol:

Timsup2nothin likes this.
  10. Phrossack

It seems risky to me to bank the future of the galaxy on two level-headed people holding hundreds of billions of naturally aggressive and impossibly fast-breeding warriors in check. Even if they mean well and want peace, that kind of population growth seems guaranteed to cause trouble.

Ultimately I couldn't betray Wrex, it seemed foolish to jeopardize galactic survival just so the galaxy could be safer in the unlikely event it survived the Reapers, and I figure pretty much every race, species, or culture deserves to live.

Spoiler :
    Just completed Priority: Citadel and I gotta say, I'm bugged by the direction the writers took with Cerberus. They went from a small organization of just a few hundred people and an income of a few billion credits to becoming a galaxy-wide force with its own cruisers, tens of thousands of super-soldiers, and a G.I. Joe superhuman space ninja with cutscene superpowers. There's simply no plausible reason they could've amassed such a huge military with far superior tech to the Alliance behind the scenes and within months.

After reading most of this series of posts arguing that Mass Effect lost its way after the first game, I have to say I largely agree and while it seems well-argued, I wish I hadn't read it since it diminishes my enjoyment of the series. The handling of Cerberus is one of the biggest issues to me, and it seems like they just wanted a threat other than Reapers to face and forced Cerberus into that role on a scale that makes no sense.

MaryKB likes this.
  11. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

Spoiler :
    Cerberus was never just a tiny organization, they just really ramped things up after the Reapers came around. Gaining access to Reaper tech, bypassing the bureaucracy, and weaponizing it immediately gave them a huge advantage as well in taking advantage of the panic. Even at the height of ME3 their forces were tiny compared to the Systems Alliance, they just have the advantage of being able to use the SA's resources against them while a far bigger threat is knocking at the door.

12. aimeeandbeatles

Spoiler :
    I was bugged by that too. It started to make more sense during Priority: Horizon, though, which is where you find out why they suddenly have lots and lots of soldiers. I still have yet to attack the Cerberus HQ but I expect to find out more there too.

13. Phrossack

Spoiler :
    IIRC, EDI said Cerberus had something like 150 operatives and an income of a few billion credits in ME2. Reaper tech or no, there's no way they could've created an entire military able to attack on a galactic scale as quickly as they did. And it's hard to believe they could reverse-engineer Reaper tech and fully incorporate it so quickly. They also have plenty of non-Reaper tech, from Atlases to phantoms and nemeses, that the Alliance doesn't. Their intelligence, resources, and power are off the charts and impossible to explain just so they can be a serious opponent and a distraction from the story of fighting the Reapers. They remind me of the Zann Consortium from Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption , which was a criminal group that grew into an empire able to take on the actual Empire with a giant fleet and army made from super-duper black market technology that was somehow better than what the Empire had. It's like Los Zetas getting a fleet of nuclear super-carriers able to destroy the US Navy. It's so absurd it shakes me out of my suspension of disbelief.

Ultimately I would've preferred it if the non-Reaper enemies in ME2 and 3 weren't a super-secret organization but rather indoctrinated or persuaded normal people of all races fighting for the Reapers. The Codex and EDI's descriptions of collaborators on Earth were pretty interesting and it would've been great to see that on a big scale in the games.

MaryKB likes this.
  14. Synsensa

You mean to tell me Los Zetas doesn't have a fleet of nuclear super-carriers? :confused:

Spoiler :
    IIRC, Cerberus wasn't using anything that didn't already exist, they just had the money and private interests to get the best of the best. Like, their mechs were just slightly fancier merc mechs. Their ships were run-of-the-mill Alliance frigates.

I am willing to put money on the idea that if the Reapers weren't invading, the Systems Alliance would have crushed Cerberus easily even with their Reaper-modified shenanigans.

15. MaryKB

MaryKB Warlord

I totally agree with @Phrossack, and I seem to remember in Mass Effect 2 there was some big Cerberus internal controversy, because building the Normandy and bringing Sheppard back to life took pretty much all their resources or something.

I didn't care for Mass Effect 3, I found it really boring and I just wanted to get it finished so I could see how it ends ... LOL! I liked Andromeda much more, but I was disappointed how it doesn't really answer it's important questions like I hoped it would.

Thank you for sharing that link! I've been reading through it :)

16. Synsensa

This is outright heresy. :mad:

17. aimeeandbeatles

One thing about ME2 that I really liked was there was quite a variety of enemies. Not just Reapers and Cerberus forces and Geth for like three missions.

18. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Temporary Pattern...reassembling...

Finished and uninstalled Starcraft 2. Probably never going to play that again. I haven't played the multiplayer in years and don't want to get frustrated by the skill gap.
    Also, I associate Starcraft MP with LAN parties and those aren't A Thing anymore.
    It's just so much more fun to rush or ambush somebody if they're sitting across from you and can see their face and hear them curse after you just dropped some siege tanks on a ledge near their base.

Played a bit of Transistor (btw free on the Epic Store right now). Very interesting concept but it just doesn't click with me. Seems a bit too simplistic.

Uhm...
    Spoiler :

Cerberus is pretty much that. By ME 3 the top decision makers of the organization are indoctrinated. It's reasonable to assume that they get material support from the Reapers through middlemen. It just sucks that they're all human.

19. aimeeandbeatles

I read part of it but stopped when it started jumping ahead to stuff that I hadn't gotten to yet (not really to avoid spoilers but because I wanted context for the stuff first). The first game does have a different feel to it, though.

20. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Morose & Lugubrious

I do LAN parties sometimes. Last week my friends, gf and I got together and played the new toejam and earl on 4 person split screen. Sometimes we get together with 4 laptops and play one game of Civ 5 for 10 hours, all in the same room. The smell and antagonism can get intense, but it's great fun.