1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Video Games Have You Been Playing #11: I should go

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Apr 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

That's exactly it but given the way the maps are laid out and the way items are hidden throughout them, it doesn't make a lot of sense nor does it really add anything fun or useful to the game itself. You essentially have to scour the entire map to collect all the items just to advance - and especially if you want to pick up good equipment for use in later missions.

Well actually, pushing the action forward is not really a priority of the game. You have to roll a dice and resolve the consequences for almost every single step you take on the map. This turns the game into a bit of a slog and my wife and I played a level where we skipped this mechanic to streamline things but then it became a cakewalk and we reverted to the standard rules.

In other words, complexity for complexity's sake was the main motivator or at least the main effect that the ink ribbon mechanic had.

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

I don't really know anything about this beyond what you've posted...but is it possible that this game was just designed as a social game and playing it with just two players is stretching it beyond its design? There's the obvious...more players would mean more ribbons which would make that less of a complication. But it seems like it would be more of a play as a group thing.

3. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

It's set up to scale from 1 to 4 players and they give more or less ink ribbons based on how players are in it (along with some other tweaks). I've only played it with exactly 2 players so I don't know how much more or less fun it is with bigger or smaller parties.

Mostly I'm just nitpicking. It's a fun game overall, it just isn't perfect is all.

4. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

After breaking my teeth on Sekiro and my joy on Bloodborne, I was a bit tired of the "die and retry" formula, but still thirsty for action.
    So I started another game of Dragon's Dogma (with a mod giving the same stat progression to all classes so I don't have to bother with min-maxing my build and can enjoy without second thought all gameplays).
    This game really deserve a remake with a bigger map. I can't believe it hasn't been copied to death, it nails "action game" so perfectly, with tons of variety and all classes actually fun to play each in its own way.
    Where are plagiarists when you actually need them ?

yung.carl.jung and Sommerswerd like this.
  5. haroon

haroon Emperor

Checking directly on youtube

Look quite intense, mmmmm I really tempted to try it, but maybe after my Kiwami 2

6. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

I have Dragon's Dogma but it was unplayably buggy for me...

7. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

"best game you never played" seems the right definition :p
    It's unbridled fun. Not really hard (save for the expansion, which can be a pain if you haven't optimized a bit your character) but the gameplay is very engaging. 30 € on GOG.
    Only downside : terrible console port when it comes to using the keyboard, I strongly recommand to use DDDAInput (it's a mod that hook on the game and provide hotkeys and the ability to archive your savegame so you aren't a slave to the "one save file" design).
    On the other hand, the gameplay has a pretty good mouse+KB integration, so for once it's actually better to use them than a pad.
    Which version ? (console or PC ? Dark Arisen or vanilla ?)
    I have finished twice the PC version with Dark Arisen (it's the default GOG version) and honestly, I don't remember ever facing a bug. A few painless CTD when I was alt-tabbing a bit too much in the middle of the game, but that's it.

haroon likes this.
  8. haroon

haroon Emperor

So it's naturally using game controller? No problem, I've been using it now, Xbox controller should be suffice I guess? The fight scene is quite epic, and it's made by Japanese developer, so naturally smaller game world but more pack content, recently I prefer that than an empty freedom, I need a game with a strong story telling and engaging epic gameplay.

9. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Like many console ports, it's using both. You can even switch on the fly, just enter a command with either M+KB or pad and the display changes to adapt.
    It's an open-world action game, so it's not a Squaresoft story-heavy linear experience (it HAS a story which has a heavy effect on the world, though). The writing is adequate but not great, nevertheless the story itself is deeper and more convoluted than it might appears (beware spoilers, it's VERY easy to fall into one if you read articles about the game).

haroon likes this.
  10. haroon

haroon Emperor

Well noted, thanks for the recommendation!

11. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

@AdamCrock, you have 20 hours to start the next thread, otherwise someone (anyone!) other than Aimee will need to start a new thread.

12. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Meanwhile, everyone near the 1,000th post is gone for the weekend.....

haroon likes this.
  13. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles uolǝɯɹǝʇɐʍ

Awwww, you mean I don't get to make another one?

14. Arakhor

Not straight away, no, as we've all been recently reminded. :p

15. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

I always thought this was a cool and interesting dynamic, however it was pretty much an insta-reload if it ever happened to a player so there wasn't any way to make it feasible.
    Nope. I'm too far down the rabbit hole into SC2 to turn back now... :assimilate: Although, I've heard that in Lesser Korea, SC1 actually remains far more popular and more widely played than SC2... go figure.:dunno:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  16. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

New thread opened ;)

haroon likes this.
  17. Arakhor

Moderator Action: Thread closed. The new thread is here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.