What Video Games Have You Been Playing #11: I should go

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more thread....

One more until what?

I pulled three Kawakaze so far, zero Nagato
I must have her, 20% reload and 10% firepower buff

I was reminded of one of my funniest Oblivion stories today.

Early on in my Oblivion experience I was in this mine full of goblins. I wasn't particularly powerful, but could handle basic goblins pretty easily, and the skirmishers and berzerkers okay so long as I played smart and maneuvered them into single combat. So I sneak around this corner and right into the back of this Goblin Chief. I back quickly around the corner and breathe a big sigh of relief that he didn't notice me. I had some sort of high powered scroll, and figured this was the time to break it out. It works!

The goblin is down in a heap and I loot his corpse. I'm sorely disappointed as he has not much of nothin', but I've already got more loot than I can carry, really, since my economy hasn't even gotten to the point where I'm discarding iron weapons rather than cashing them, and I've collected a bunch. In fact, with what I figure is the big boss burnt to a crisp I opt to head in to the nearby town and hawk the wares, then come back and clean up the stragglers.

So, next trip down I find a whole deeper level, and pretty much immediately I run into a Goblin War Chief, who promptly beats the snot out of me. Partly, he was pretty tough. But partly he sort of surprised me since I was expecting to be mopping up. I reloaded and managed to kill him, but he was still tough. I sure wished I had another of those scrolls. Then I just wished I had the one back. When I figured out that I hadn't blasted the Goblin Chief, I had blasted the Goblin Chef.

I was back in that cave today. The Goblin Chef is in what is obviously the goblin clan mess hall, complete with rat rotisserie. I really cannot explain how I missed that the first time.

When I figured out that I hadn't blasted the Goblin Chief, I had blasted the Goblin Chef.

:lol: that's a rare event, that kind of event is one of the reason you play Elder Scroll, you should consider yourselves lucky, Elder Scroll return your determination to play Oblivion with love lol

The previous thread only lasted three months. I'm surprised.

Playing a bit of Civ3 this week-end. Civ4 is by far the better, but there is a charm on Civ3 that I just can't find anywhere else, with all the era-relevant graphics and the unit sprites having more life and character.
That sound which always crackles and bugs out is pretty annoying, though.

Also, I should really polish my mod, my standard of production have risen up significantly and it really looks sloppy by now :lol:

Last edited:
Playing Battlefleet Gothic: Armada again because I don't have a good enough PC to play the sequel.

Not playing, but looking into the total war series. Anybody here familiar with it and have recommendations/objections to them?

Empire, Rome 1, and Shogun 2 are fantastic.

(I can't comment on Warhammer 2, Rome 2, Atilla, and the other recent iterations, though. Medieval is good fun. I found Medieval 2 to be a slog. Shogun 1 I was never able to make work. Warhammer 1 is decent enough. Napoleon is a more refined Empire but it's much smaller scale and has a lot of arbitrary restrictions.)

Not playing, but looking into the total war series. Anybody here familiar with it and have recommendations/objections to them?

I'm pretty familiar with most of the TW series. I haven't played all the games in it but I have played most of them.

My favorite entries are Medieval 2 and Attila, followed by Empire/Napoleon, then Shogun 2 and then Warhammer. I haven't played the original Shogun, the original Medieval, Rome 2, or Warhammer 2.

Medieval 2 is my favorite because it is the purest formulation of the TW formula: generate $$$$, spend it on units, use those units to fight and win battles, conquer territory, repeat. Later games began adding new RPG-like mechanics and other stuff that distracts from this core formula. Not all of that stuff is bad (most of it is good) but I keep going back to Medieval 2 because it's got the core formula with nothing else to distract you.

I also like the character stats and mechanics the best in Medieval 2, because it's really straightforward: if you want good generals, you have to win battles with the odds against you. Victories give you command stars, honorable actions like freeing prisoners or peacefully occupying settlements (or participating in Crusades or Jihads) gives you chivalry, dishonorable actions like killing prisoners or exterminating settlements gives you dread. The faction leader has an Authority stat which interacts with each non-leader's Loyalty stat to determine the likelihood that a given character will join the rebels and betray your faction.

Shogun 2 is, I think, the next game to come out after Medieval 2 (it might've been Empire though, can't quite remember). Anyway Shogun added some rudimentary RPG features, I believe the generals and armies have skill trees where you unlock different bonuses as you earn experience. Empire adds a technology tree with research, whereas in previous games tech was done simply by spending gold to expand your settlements on the strategic map, unlocking new buildings which produced more advanced units. I found the battles in Empire: to be a bit stereotyped, because the optimal tactic was basically to dig in with artillery and fight a defensive battle. The AI will inevitably walk its infantry up to be slaughtered by your artillery and then you just mop up with the rest of your units. Battles in Medieval 2 aren't challenging by any means but it feels a bit more active since in medieval 2 I'm usually enveloping the enemy with cavalry rather than waiting for them to come to me.

Attila is IMO the best balance of strategy and RPG mechanics. The internal faction politics are pretty cool and engaging, the army and general skill trees feel fleshed out and interesting (although I do wish that there were more options, as is I pretty much takes the same set of traits every single time so there's no army specialization). My main problem with Attila is I like playing the cavalry factions and building armies of horsemen, and once the AI starts getting tier 2 and 3 spearmen it becomes really hard, almost impossible, to win battles without crippling casualties. The battles in Attila are much more dynamic and challenging than in Medieval, and probably more rewarding, but also more frustrating when things go wrong (in medieval 2 when you screw up a battle you just recruit more troops, but in Attila when I lose a battle that's usually the end of my campaign due to the horde mechanic).

I played TW: Warhammer after picking it up with a friend on sale to play co-op campaign. IMO this one departs completely from the Total War formula. Battles are hero-centric to the point that building regular units is a waste of money: you can attack a hero with 10 units of infantry and the hero will barely get scratched in the process of killing them all. I only played as one faction, Chaos, and didn't really revisit the game because I just didn't have that much fun with it, though I might try again one of these days.

In my opinion the series peaked somewhere between the original Medieval and the original Rome. M:TW had the best tactical combat, but the strategic level of the game lacked a lot of refinements that came in R:TW. Tactical combat had started to slide in R:TW, but I think the strategic level made up for it.

Well, as we discussed earlier, you can often think of "Renegade" and "Paragon" as meaning "confrontational" and "diplomatic" in ME2, rather than "evil/good". Well, except when it isn't and it's back to "evil/good". Don't sweat it too much

In ME3 they can also mean "even numbered chin up" and "odd numbered chin up".

What does that mean?

I don't think it particularly spoils anything so I think I can tell you.

It's the most exciting subgame ever, where you have to try and beat someone's chin up record of a hundred and fifty seven gazillion chin ups, by pressing the paragon and renegage buttons over and over again for about half an hour. For no reason whatsover as far as I recall.

That seems like a good way to get repetitive strain disorder. Can't be any worse than planet scanning, though.

It's not like you have to hammer the buttons Track & Field-style or anything, it's quite leisurely. That just adds to the boredom though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom