What Video Games Have You Been Playing #11: I should go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stellaris has AI rebellions, they are fairly easy to deal with in my experience. Rome II Total War also has civil wars, they are quite easy if you make sure all your generals are loyal.
I've been thinking about the Rome 2 civil wars, and I think there ought to be more of them. The Romans couldn't seem to get through a single century without one. Maybe parties could lose loyalty if they didn't have any of their people as generals or admirals?

I'm thinking about trying my hand at a campaign as the Romans, of all people. Normally I go out of my way to avoid civil war and rebellion, but for the sake of historical accuracy and fun I think I'd just focus on rapid expansion at any cost, and throw caution to the wind. That way, even if I played as the Romans, I'd get to kill Romans!

I don't think I can express just how much I hate Dragon Age Origins. Every quest is so painstakingly long that by the time I get to the end of it, I really don't care about the outcome. The worst offender, of course, being the the main quest in the Circle of Magi.

Told my wife that I just can't play it anymore and shes either going to have to watch a Let's Play on YouTube or learn to play herself if she wants the rest of the story.

I cannot finish DAO either, I get so bored, and I know what will happened at the end of the road.

There is mod to skip circle of magi, good quality quest but for a replay it can be, yeah, too much.
I'm actually doing a Dragon Age: Origins AAR offsite (I'm Zapp Brannigan), if anyone is interested in following along. Playing a female city elf as suggested here. I didn't bring it up sooner because I wasn't sure if plugging something offsite was frowned upon, and I just hate advertising myself anyways. :p

Warning: There is profanity, and a couple somewhat graphic images (e.g. a darkspawn's head exploding). Also, I play on normal and pretty much just control the player character with minimal micromanagement + a probably suboptimal build/tactics, and that's unlikely to change, if that bothers you.

Civil war (with half your cities/ or another side's cities declaring they are now their own side) was there in Civ2 as well. It could happen when you took an enemy capital.

IIRC, Legends of Revolution had it influenced by both happiness and culture, so your cities nearby other civs, particularly ones angry with you (civs and the cities themselves), were much more likely to rebel. It was a very nice system.

This is now page 52. @Lexicus should start the next thread within 18 hours or the duty will pass to @EgonSpengler.

December, 1946, Hoi4 - Italy.

The Soviets fell in the first half of July. Our May offensive, meant to save their front, had been a disaster. We picked up some useless desert in the Middle East, but were easily repulsed everywhere else. Even with half their troops in the middle of Eurasia, Germany was too strong. Many predicted having to face the full force of Germany ourselves would result in a swift collapse.

They were only somewhat right. Our front in Greece was hit hard in August. Il Duce made an effort to reinforce our fortification lines in north-central Greece, but they were smashed through along the Aegean coast before we even had a proper chance to fall back. From there, it was disaster - our fort near Thermopylae was not even manned due to the botched fallback. Our army retreated to Corfu, and was promptly smashed - a good 35 or so divisions lost over the course of about five weeks.

But elsewhere, we fared better. The Middle East has held steady, and with it our supply of oil. And for months, the Alpine front stood strong, with the Germans gaining perhaps one tile per month. Lately, the Hungarians have made a breakthrough, and taken Venice, but by and large the front has held, and the price the Germans have paid for what they have taken has been astronomical.

Now, it's a battle against time. Germany's manpower is rapidly depleting as they struggle to take the Alps, with losses of over 10 million against Italy alone. By spring, they will likely be entirely out of reserves - the bottom of the barrel scraped - while we will still have somewhere around 2 million in reserves, and another couple million not yet mobilized. But the Hungarian advance is a warning that Germany, too, is not defeated. A breach in the line can still mean quick losses, and we have little industrial capacity to spare.

With that in mind, an additional defensive line, behind the Po, is being constructed, and reservists trained to defend it. It's a line we hope we never need, but the worst would be a repetition of Greece, and that cannot be allowed to happen.

-------------

OOS: I'm almost certain I can't win this war; a stalemate is my goal. Germany has somewhere around 550 divisions, or about 3.5 times what I have, and has 5+ times as much industrial capacity. My air force is hopelessly outnumbered now that Germany has reallocated all their planes from the Soviet front to my front, and is falling away month by month. Even if Germany exhausts itself against the Alps, I would almost surely do the same when trying to counterattack.

There's also the weirdness that I've been at war with Britain since 1938, though it's been phony for several years. Due to HoI rules, we're essentially in a permanent cold war. But realistically in such a situation, it seems almost inevitable that differences would have been put aside in light of the greater threat. Italy agrees to hand over the Middle East and Egypt; in exchange Britain provides as much oil as the Italian armed forces needs, and reinforces the Italian fronts to help the last real resistance to German hegemony. Alas, it is not to be, and instead we'll be at war until the end of time.

Decided to give Hearts of Iron 4 another go after a year and a half.

The UK and France promised war if I took over Czechoslovakia. I decided I'd do it anyways, and the war was going very well. The UK and its allies sat at home, and France camped on the frontline. I was in the process of clearing out Czechoslovakia's last major garrison when the assassination event fired, and what do you know, Hitler dies and the Republic joins the UK.

Guess I'll try again after another year and a half.

You could just try reloading the autosave.

Runescape. I've been taking a break from video games but I have a Runescape membership and this weekend is double XP weekend. I had a lot of money (or should I say gold, I mean in-game currency) and herblore stuff saved up so I've been just working on my herblore in Runescape. I've been doing it almost literally every waking hour of my day since yesterday and today and will continue tomorrow throughout the duration of the event.

This is VERY tedious and painful. However, it will pay off in the long run. FWIW my current Herblore level is 87.

And that's why I don't play Iron Man.

I hate RPGs
For the record: :twitch:
I'm gonna be pissed if Warcraft 3 reforged doesn't come out until after I finish my re-playthrough. I've been slow-playing it to try to give the remastered edition a chance to come out so I can play through that instead... I've been waiting all summer :mad:
Have you tried the remastered Starcraft yet?

Civil war (with half your cities/ or another side's cities declaring they are now their own side) was there in Civ2 as well. It could happen when you took an enemy capital.
Since Civ1 actually. But it required a pretty contrived context to happen.

Have you tried the remastered Starcraft yet?

I have. It's literally just StarCraft with better graphics. Not like that's a bad thing though. I think older classics should be updated from time to time to bring them up to modern standards and be able to run smoothly on modern systems while leaving the gameplay intact.

I liked Age of Decadence. It seemed very short, though. I wondered if I'd rushed the main story without meaning to and missed a lot of side-dishes. I haven't wanted to go back and do it again, but I enjoyed it the one time.
The one time?
Dude, to get a reasonable idea of what is around, you need to complete it, like a dozen times... and find a way to ascend to godhood.
That's why the game is reasonably short - it's definitely not "play once, see everything".

In other news, my longest Loper run so far ended after 6 days.
Died of hunger, waiting for a sliver of rabbit to cook. :cringe:

Resident Evil 2: The Board Game comes with a campaign mode that you can play through and last night we had our first level which included a boss. Unfortunately, we didn't get to the boss because we were slaughtered inside an hour by the undead horde. We even tried bending the rules by magically letting one of our characters respawn, only to have us both wiped out inside 10 turns of that. Part of the reason for this is that we are finally catching on to some of the nuances of the game's rules which we have been unintentionally skipping over in previous levels that make the game significantly harder.

A lot of misunderstandings we've had with the rules have been due to sloppy and incomplete rule writing. The game makers did a great job of creating a spooky atmosphere with the instructions and scenario briefs but didn't do a great job explaining all of the rules. For example, we have taken the word 'tile' to mean to the square a character is standing on when in reality they actually meant the entire room the characters are in. This alone had major ramifications for how the undead hordes act during the game with the correct interpretation making the difficulty significantly harder.

The game makers also seem to be big fans of adding complexity for complexity's sake, further exacerbating the unclear instructions. Take for instance the deck refreshing mechanic - there is a deck of cards you must draw from at the end of every turn which add a random chance something bad will happen. This deck needs to be refreshed as it will run out over the course of the game but instead of just letting the players reshuffle it, they made it such that you can only refresh the deck by entering special tiles on the map and if you fail to do this, the game is lost. This is fine because the special tiles are typewriters so it mimics the save game mechanics from the actual video game which is a neat bit of flavoring even if it adds complexity. But this wasn't enough - you also have to have an ink ribbon to load into the typewriter to use it. Ink ribbons are given out to each player at the beginning of the level which means you aren't really having to search the map for them - aka they are pointless. They exist only to complicate things without adding any real value to the game itself.

Overall it's still a lot of fun but it can be a bit tedious to track and follow the many pages of rules.

This is fine because the special tiles are typewriters so it mimics the save game mechanics from the actual video game which is a neat bit of flavoring even if it adds complexity. But this wasn't enough - you also have to have an ink ribbon to load into the typewriter to use it. Ink ribbons are given out to each player at the beginning of the level which means you aren't really having to search the map for them - aka they are pointless. They exist only to complicate things without adding any real value to the game itself.

Sounds like the ink ribbons are a mechanism that limits the number of decks you have before you must complete the level. I'm guessing that limits the "must explore every nook and cranny before we move on" types and pushes the action forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom