What Video Games Have You Been Playing #12: Rage Quit - ain't my thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm I see two or three Team Rocket stops every time I go out but I do cover a lot of ground. I have only fought twice and they were both extremely difficult to the point where they weren't that much fun though the new super move things were cool. I don't get the purifying mechanic. I was allowed to try and catch a Zubat but they only gave me 3 balls to do it and as you said, they are already very difficult to catch without them being super-powered.

I'm fine with the speed limit on not being able to spin PokeStops or not getting spawns because whatever speed that is is sufficiently high that I never hit it on a bike. 6.5 mph is stupid slow though for leveling and eggs and they need to raise it or do something else to scale bicycling difficulty. It's just much too low.

Hmm I see two or three Team Rocket stops every time I go out but I do cover a lot of ground. I have only fought twice and they were both extremely difficult to the point where they weren't that much fun though the new super move things were cool. I don't get the purifying mechanic. I was allowed to try and catch a Zubat but they only gave me 3 balls to do it and as you said, they are already very difficult to catch without them being super-powered.

I'm fine with the speed limit on not being able to spin PokeStops or not getting spawns because whatever speed that is is sufficiently high that I never hit it on a bike. 6.5 mph is stupid slow though for leveling and eggs and they need to raise it or do something else to scale bicycling difficulty. It's just much too low.

Yeah, runners get dinged by it too.

Niantic released their Harry Potter version of PoGO (with absolutely no marketing or hype, it seems, since I only found out it was already released earlier this month) and they have the same speed limits in that too, I believe. So they're doing it consciously even after user feedback. Not sure why, but they're making money hand over fist so I guess they're cool with it.

Yeah, runners get dinged by it too.

Niantic released their Harry Potter version of PoGO (with absolutely no marketing or hype, it seems, since I only found out it was already released earlier this month) and they have the same speed limits in that too, I believe. So they're doing it consciously even after user feedback. Not sure why, but they're making money hand over fist so I guess they're cool with it.
Yeah the Harry Potter rollout was pretty low key - they did do an advertising push but only in the week before it dropped. No one seemed to know it existed before that and it doesn't seem to have nearly the legs that Pokemon Go has. It reportedly has a lot of bugs but they don't seem to be as bad as Pokemon Go's were when it launched and the game was basically unplayable for months at a time and under constant, massive revision.

You're right about them probably only caring about the money. Until I lost my job I was spending probably $2 a week, every week (on average), buying more storage and items of various sorts even as I became more and more frustrated with it. While I think Pokemon Go is managed seperately and by different companies than the main games, the main games themselves are notorious for only tiny incremental improvements despite years of fan feedback asking for better games and they are now seeming to go backward in a lot of respects after sort of cresting with Ultra Sun/Moon as far as play-ability and features goes.

It's not a bad game though. It's not up to the standards of the original trilogy and the release version had an unacceptable amount of bugs, but it's not terrible.

For me, I just couldn't get into the story. Also I just couldn't bring myself to care about my Ryder and his team as much as I cared about my Shepard and his team.

The Ket also just weren't that impressive of an antagonist force to me. Of course, it is kinda hard to measure up to an antagonist like the Reapers so I'll cut them some slack on that.

i don't think nerfs or buffs do anything, i think the problem lies somewhere else. people (me included) are mostly trying to play optimally, and other people like streamers have such a big influence on the discourse that they can essentially shape it themselves. they say who is overpowered and who is not, and because everyone follows their lead the self-fulfilling prophecy unravels: the popular characters get nerfed and a new meta emerges. people do not really trust their own estimates nearly as much as they used to, because there is now a dedicated expert for literally anything.
That's why I've never played any online multiplayer games... except for chess and some tabletops.:lol:

For me, I just couldn't get into the story. Also I just couldn't bring myself to care about my Ryder and his team as much as I cared about my Shepard and his team.

The Ket also just weren't that impressive of an antagonist force to me. Of course, it is kinda hard to measure up to an antagonist like the Reapers so I'll cut them some slack on that.
I've talked at length about how much I actually loved the new direction the series went in. It was about exploration and building a society instead of warding off a complete collapse. I mean of course there was the threat of complete collapse under Kett assault serving to drive tension but it was a different feeling from what the Reapers brought to the table.

I do agree the Kett were pretty lame and were effectively just the Collectors Redux which was very lame and un-original.

But to each his own.

The Axis and Allies board game 1942 edition came out today on Steam as you can play online with other people. I went offline, just against the computer.

I had restart after the first five minutes after realizing they slightly changed the rules (mostly just no tech upgrades you can research), but after that I won as the Axis, playing as Japan on the first attempt. Honestly, it's pretty hard NOT to win if you know what to do.

edit: I also think it's very telling that I had no problem winning even with relatively miserable luck, and even with my AI teammate (Germany) making some miserably bad decisions. There's no way I'm getting challenged at that game unless I play against other humans.

Last edited:
An online bomberman game will be awesome I think, ranked pvp bomberman for mobile

Loved bomberman as a kid. Back in the pre-internet days the only person who would play that game in the neighborhood was in high school while I was in elementary. I still won nearly every time, which is probably why haha.

I'd imagine online competition to be much more challenging. I do go on 15-20 game win streaks in Ultimate Chicken Horse though, so MAYBE I'd be at least decent in Bomberman also.

I liked Atomic Bomberman the most because you could have up to 10 players on the board at once. Lots of chaos and awareness required, especially if more than one other person is good enough to time kicking bombs so they go off on the desired row/column consistently.

I would definitely agree that an online Bomberman game would be awesome. Who knows they might even write a wiki about it. :eek:

Last edited:
Loved bomberman as a kid. Back in the pre-internet days the only person who would play that game in the neighborhood was in high school while I was in elementary. I still won nearly every time, which is probably why haha.

I'd imagine online competition to be much more challenging. I do go on 15-20 game win streaks in Ultimate Chicken Horse though, so MAYBE I'd be at least decent in Bomberman also.

I liked Atomic Bomberman the most because you could have up to 10 players on the board at once. Lots of chaos and awareness required, especially if more than one other person is good enough to time kicking bombs so they go off on the desired row/column consistently.

This game is still fun for today, I play the snes version with my wife and bro in law during his visit (they never play itu before, a millennial and a zoomer) they really go crazy about it, we keep playing it everyday for months during the night.

I've talked at length about how much I actually loved the new direction the series went in. It was about exploration and building a society instead of warding off a complete collapse. I mean of course there was the threat of complete collapse under Kett assault serving to drive tension but it was a different feeling from what the Reapers brought to the table.

I do agree the Kett were pretty lame and were effectively just the Collectors Redux which was very lame and un-original.

But to each his own.

Which is why I don't say it's a bad game, just one that I don't like. There were things I did like about the story, just not enough to keep me interested.

It always made me want to play Beyond Earth though.

The Long Dark, Survival Mode: I started a new game, Stalker Difficulty. Spawned into Hushed River Valley. I figured I was dead meat, but I discovered three things. First, cattail stalks are, pound-for-pound (or kg-for-kg, if you prefer) the highest-calorie food in the game, and Hushed River Valley is lousy with the things (also a never-ending supply of tinder for starting fires). So Hushed River Valley may be the last place you'll starve to death. Second, there's a ton of supplies here, albeit scattered all over the map. After a fortnight, I'm leaving HRV loaded with every basic tool as well as the "well-fed" bonus and a moosehide satchel. I'm a little light on matches and ammo, so I've had to carry a lot of improvised torches and I've had to go around a lot of animals instead of shooting them. There was a moose on Monolith Lake that I'd swear was following me (I'm almost sure they don't do that, and it was just a coincidence). Third, the "mysterious signal fire" can spawn in different locations. After spending 3 days trying to get up to the mountain peak where I found it the last time, it wasn't there. I stumbled onto it a week later, in a totally different location.

So now I'm into Mountain Town, about to go to war with Immortan Joe and his gang of furry thugs (I've named my revolver 'Max' and my rifle 'Furiosa').

Dalaran-WoW for WotLK, Kronos I & III for Vanilla.

i've played on dalaran for a while I think, maybe we've met :lol:

weirdly enough I was chatting up an old (online) friend just days ago and he tried to get me to play classic with him. I have a break from uni currently and my desire is getting stronger by the minute..

I haven't been playing much other than Solitaire and some crappy horse games, but I was digging through some Mass Effect 3 files and managed to extract the subtitles. I actually found pieces of what seemed to be a cut quest. (No indication on who's speaking the lines, though.)

Spoiler Mass Effect 3 spoilers, sort of :
Citadel: Malfunctioning Keepers
C-Sec Officer Jordan Noles needs help tracking a possible hacking problem that has disabled several keepers. Track keeper activity across the Presidium Commons.

Shepard, have you got a minute? C-Sec asked for my help with something.
Here, I'll send you the signal frequency. Now, if you can scan that keeper...
Link in to your omni-tool's optic link. See anything?
That's the keeper's trail. It leaves a residue when it works.
Follow the tracks. Hopefully there's one nearby.
Excellent. With luck, they'll lead to another affected keeper, and we can triangulate the signal's location.
Remember Vigil back on Ilos? He said that the keepers were built to respond to Reaper signals.
It might be nothing, but if this has something to do with the Reapers...
The whole Citadel's been acting strangely lately.
Lag on the main channels, garbage data in basic signals.
Maybe those Cerberus bastards damaged something. God, I want payback.
I've never seen a signal like this.
Okay. How can I help?
Is it dead?
Yeah, trace chemicals. I'll take a look.
Now what?
Found another footprint.
So what makes the keepers so important that you had to grab me?
Point taken.
What do you mean?
Found another keeper. Can you triangulate?
Get moving. I'll meet the two of you there.

We had victory in our grasp until you betrayed us!
Shepard stopped the war!
Are you sleeping with him, Tali? Did someone get her induction filter popped on Pilgrimage? Or are you just stupid?
Because I can see the rest of our spineless leaders accepting peace, but not Rael'Zorah's daughter.
Have the geth loaded themselves into your suit yet, Tali? How long until they're talking for you? Until they run you?
I did not work for years to become a slave to the synthetics!
What, them? They're just refugees. Test data.
Fact: Reaper technology could control the geth. Fact: per your reports, the Citadel is Reaper technology. Ergo...
So far, all I've managed to do is shut down a few keepers and kill some rabble, but if I can unlock the Citadel's secrets...
It's over, Xen! You'll never get out of here alive unless you surrender!
But if I surrender, I don't get to continue the tests, now, do I? The tests that can defeat the Reapers? That can build the Crucible?
You'd put me in a cell while the galaxy burns!
You small-minded, incompetent fool!
When the Reapers reduce your homeworld to dust and vapor, you will beg for my help!
And I'm just supposed to take your word for it?
Well, then... Officer, I remand myself into your custody.
Tali'Zorah... what would your father say?
He'd say, "Good work. That bosh'tet was crazy."
Isn't it fascinating to see how far you'll go for your species?
I need to make some calls. See you back on the Presidium.
I'll give C-Sec a report. See you up-top, Commander. And, uh, nice working with you.
Xen, whatever grudge you have with me, it doesn't affect anyone else.
I figured it was only a matter of time until you cracked.
I'm sorry for what happened to you, Xen... but your tests are done.
Xen, if you give yourself up, you'll have full access to whatever testing equipment you need while in custody.
I need whatever help I can get on the Crucible... even if it comes from you. I don't have a choice.

I remember Sovereign saying that the Citadel was a trap. A way to lure organics in so the Reapers could destroy us more easily.
I think so. Look at this.
I know. But is that all the Citadel is?
So many have lived their lives here and called the Citadel "home." If it were just a trap, would the Reapers have added gardens?
Someone programmed them to think that way... to see the war as inevitable, so that destroying the organics was merciful.
They're like the geth. After the geth drove us into exile, they repaired our cities. Their programming made them care.
Right. They're still just machines.
They made this place a trap to prevent a war between organics and synthetics. So we wouldn't be destroyed permanently.
But they were wrong. You proved that it's not inevitable. My people are at peace right now.
They just think on a larger scale. 50,000 years to bait a trap.
Do you ever feel guilty? That we're stealing a quiet moment while the war goes on?
The night's young... You know what I mean.
You know what I mean.
Exactly.
Seeing what we're fighting for?
Do they? On the flotilla, we'd rotate people off active duty, but... we didn't have shores.
So, what, just look at trees and remember what we're fighting for?
I have a home.
I have a home... thanks to you.
I'm not fighting for them.
I've got Rannoch and the Normandy. That's more than enough to fight for.
Xen? Right about what?
It has to be more than that.
If we hadn't stopped Sovereign a few years ago, the Reapers would have destroyed us right then.
They care about us... somehow. The Reaper on Rannoch said everything it did was to prevent a war.
Why not? Bait for the trap. All that Reaper on Rannoch cared about was continuing the cycle.
Whatever their reasons, right now, we have this.
This isn't exactly dinner and a vid.
We just stopped a murderer who was sabotaging the keepers.
Part of me wants to be out there in the Normandy right now. There's still more to do.
But this matters, too.
Soldiers in wartime burn out without shore leave.
Anyway, soon as we're done here, we're getting back on the Normandy to win this war.
We're fighting for these people's home. Even if we don't have homes ourselves.

Last edited:
The Axis and Allies board game 1942 edition came out today on Steam as you can play online with other people. I went offline, just against the computer.

I had restart after the first five minutes after realizing they slightly changed the rules (mostly just no tech upgrades you can research), but after that I won as the Axis, playing as Japan on the first attempt. Honestly, it's pretty hard NOT to win if you know what to do.

edit: I also think it's very telling that I had no problem winning even with relatively miserable luck, and even with my AI teammate (Germany) making some miserably bad decisions. There's no way I'm getting challenged at that game unless I play against other humans.

... and it's straight-up impossible to win as the allies. Not to mention lots of bugs and glitches. Horrible, unfinished product.

^Good to know. I'll stay away from that one.

In the meantime I've been playing Interstellar Space: Genesis. It's a pretty good 4x Space TBS game that I'm enjoying a lot more than I am Field of Glory: Empires.

Don't worry, you'll get back.

btw one day, as the Horde fan I know you to be, you'll just do a Tak and install DOSBox and run the non-world of Warcraft games. Starting by the unnumbered one.
LOLs I'm actually thinking of getting it for my sons as they've been whining that they want to play SC2 versus each other, which requires me to let one of them use my laptop to play... as only one of the hand-me-down laptops they use has the proper specs to run SC2... eff that, they're still at the break-everything-electronic-they-touch age. :nono: I tried setting them up with Warcraft 3 but I cant get the muthereffing blanksucking LAN option to work :badcomp: [pissed]

So another option I've been thinking of is getting them SC1 remastered and letting them PvP that against each other instead.:think: Buying a new laptop just so they can play SC2 seems like super overkill, even for my spoiled assed kids. :mischief:

And I've totally DOSbox'd games. Oregon Trail of course... and Wolfenstein 3D is just as spine-tingly epic as it ever was :scared:... seriously that game is one of the greatest that Jebus ever gave man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom