1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Video Games Have You Been Playing #15: Computer not on fire yet? Better add more mods!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Dec 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Warlord

I started replaying Ryse: Son of Rome last night. I'm not quite sure why I decided to play it again but I am. It is certainly a competent game.

2. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Wow, just play on easy difficulty.

3. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Right but this game is built specifically around it. It's a different experience than crashing and burning thanks to the time traveling mechanics.

4. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

It's not the difficulty. The tutorial in both new XCOM games has you loosing soldiers by plot. They literally force your hand where to click to the extent that it's just ******** from a game design standpoint even if it wasn't for the deaths. They literally tell you "click this square" and won't let you click anywhere else. Why give me control at all than?

Synsensa likes this.
  5. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Yeah, no, thats just picky as hell. It sounds like the sort of Steam Review that 2 of 18 People Found This Helpful.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  6. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

It may be picky. But personally I despise tutorials that don't teach you anything. If you want me to learn, put me in a situation, describe my tools to me and let me play. Don't literally tell me "click this button" and when I do "now click this button". No, you can't click that other button. That is forbidden! Only this button is allowed! That's just annoying and aggravating. Doubly so when you actually have half a brain and realize that the command you are being told to issue is wrong.

If you want to see an example of a good tutorials look at Red Alert 2. There the tutorial is a proper combat game where you have free reign of your units and buildings just with a reduced roster and get to play essentially a skirmish match vs the AI with the game highlighting things of importance to you as you go along but without forcing your hand or holding it.

7. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Nah. Accessibility is important in all software and Firaxis usually does a good job at pitching their tutorials to a level where more novice computer users can participate in gaming.

Get over yourself and don't take tutorials as a personal insult to your megabrain, especially as you seem to miss obvious lessons such as "Its ok for soldiers to die".

hobbsyoyo and Sommerswerd like this.
  8. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Then don't play the tutorial and get on with the first mission. Did you refund the first game for doing that too?

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  9. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

kind of unnecessary to jump at PPQ_Purple's throat just because he voiced his opinion about a game (y'all even asked for it.. the f?)

then again the same thing happens to me every time I post here so whaddya know, maybe some opinions just aren't wanted

hobbsyoyo, Synsensa and Birdjaguar like this.
  10. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Because its like complaining about onions as being some kind of high difficulty vegetable in a cuisine thread.

11. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Doesn't sound like a complaint about difficulty, sounds like a complaint about poor game design forcing losses that can't be avoided. Not sure what that has to do with onions or playing on easy mode.

cardgame likes this.
  12. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Its not a loss, because it’s a tightly scripted tutorial. It is all very clearly on rails.

It’s a demonstration pseudo-game so complaints about playability/game design are very very silly.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  13. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Btw this is the most fitting description of onions ever made.

cardgame and Birdjaguar like this.
  14. yung.carl.jung

I was going to respond to this, but the analogy is just too damn funny.

What would be a high difficulty vegetable, I wonder? I genuinely cannot think of any veg difficult to prepare, aside from maybe the humble artichoke.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  15. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Ok, I was more meaning from a consumption point of view. I started off thinking about garlic, because from my poor benighted British perspective garlic was only "discovered" in my lifetime (or so it feels like). And I can sort of appreciate that garlic might be legit difficult for some people.

Whats a lower difficulty lily than garlic? Shallots might be too fancy. Onions have millenia of history behind them, that'll sell the very obviously funny joke.

16. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

Obviously it's Brussels sprouts and broccoli.

17. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

In the Witcher 3, I was doing some sidequests in Skellige.

Spoiler :
    I was a little taken aback by this, though:

But since Cerys said she had a plan I had Geralt put the baby in the oven and it turned out okay. I guess the priest guy took the baby out of the back of it or something.

18. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

That's some serious roleplaying by the computer if the characters were fooled into thinking you of all people would set a human being on fire.

tjs282 likes this.
  19. yung.carl.jung

hello i am broccoli

put me in hot water

wait

retrieve

now i am become delicious, destroyer of hunger

cardgame, Snerk, Birdjaguar and 4 others like this.
  20. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I am more likely to steam you, but otherwise agree completely.

Birdjaguar and yung.carl.jung like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.