What Video Games Have You Been Playing? Eight times I've died...

Status
Not open for further replies.
After starting the game just a couple of weeks ago, I've finished Dragon Age II, with it's two caves, one warehouse, one basement and one dungeon.

And GoG gave me Unreal, which somehow I have never played. It's certainly dated, but plays at full screen resolution so isn't so graphics challenged as to be unplayable. Mindless blasting of bug eyed monsters! Exactly what I needed, and right on time. Thanks GoG! :)

I've been slowly playing through Unreal Gold. There's the oldunreal 227i patch that can improve running the game on newer computers.

Another weird but very fun mix (action-RPG-single-player-MMO) with a pretty decent storyline, a HUGE world and a very satisfying gameplay is Kingdom of Amalur : Reckoning, but I'm not sure if it's still sold (the game company went bankrupt). Highly recommended though.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is still sold on Steam and Origin.

After starting the game just a couple of weeks ago, I've finished Dragon Age II, with it's two caves, one warehouse, one basement and one dungeon.

My biggest complaint of that game. I loved it, but it got grating to play the same map over and over and over and over again.

I've been slowly playing through Unreal Gold. There's the oldunreal 227i patch that can improve running the game on newer computers.

At first glance it seems like the main improvements that provides are already incorporated in the GoG version. I'll keep it in mind though if it starts having problems.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is still sold on Steam and Origin.

I actually never finished da2. I thought it was way better than the average player thought. I actually liked the leveling system and how talent trees were done with the potential to combo. Small maps I was kind of ok with, I more missed from da1 just the general scope of the game in terms of storyline and dialogue.

I have koa reckoning and I played it maybe 5 hours? It feels like a single player mmorpg. Very much like a cross between skyrim and world of warcraft. It's kind of weird and I didn't get into it.

A little cool trivia about it, the company was founded in part by former red sox pitcher curt schilling. He dumped a ton of his personal money into it. Apparently he was addicted to everquest or wow, I forget which, and wanted to hire a bunch of cool people to make his own mmorpg. Well they massively overspent on creative talent getting guys like the writer for spawn to create a sprawling universe for the game. They actually did a pretty nice job but it just didn't sell well enough to justify the massive investment. Then mmo was a bit too ambitious so it was changed to a single player rpg for release, probably with intent to do mmo later. But it didn't sell enough, company went bankrupt and that was the end of the amalur universe. Kind of sad.

In reality though that's the same story for tons of mmos. Everyone tried to copy blizzard's success with wow and just couldn't. Mmos are very expensive to develop and maintain and no one had the sales numbers.

UT2K4 was the best in that series. Endless mods and untlimited maps, models, weapons, vehicles and voice packs with the 64-bit patch.
The voice packs are one of the best features, they're fun to make.

Shazbot!

I actually never finished da2. I thought it was way better than the average player thought. I actually liked the leveling system and how talent trees were done with the potential to combo. Small maps I was kind of ok with, I more missed from da1 just the general scope of the game in terms of storyline and dialogue.

I have koa reckoning and I played it maybe 5 hours? It feels like a single player mmorpg. Very much like a cross between skyrim and world of warcraft. It's kind of weird and I didn't get into it.

A little cool trivia about it, the company was founded in part by former red sox pitcher curt schilling. He dumped a ton of his personal money into it. Apparently he was addicted to everquest or wow, I forget which, and wanted to hire a bunch of cool people to make his own mmorpg. Well they massively overspent on creative talent getting guys like the writer for spawn to create a sprawling universe for the game. They actually did a pretty nice job but it just didn't sell well enough to justify the massive investment. Then mmo was a bit too ambitious so it was changed to a single player rpg for release, probably with intent to do mmo later. But it didn't sell enough, company went bankrupt and that was the end of the amalur universe. Kind of sad.

In reality though that's the same story for tons of mmos. Everyone tried to copy blizzard's success with wow and just couldn't. Mmos are very expensive to develop and maintain and no one had the sales numbers.

Sounds like their marketing people needed to build a good campaign around a celebrity spokesman of some sort...like, I dunno, maybe Curt Schilling?

Been playing Ultrawings VR and it's a neat little flight sim. I can't help but feel I'm now ready to pilot any light aircraft IRL. I guess I'd probably die but yeah I also feel I know how to do it now. VR motion sickness is still not an issue for me but I'm told there's a stunt-plane in this game that will put this to the test. So we'll see.

If motion sickness isn't an issue just wait for the spiderman game to come out. not really spiderman, blanking on the name, but there is one in development that lets you swing around skyscrapers with basically spiderman webs. it's got genuine full 3D physics too so you will swing on a real trajectory with acceleration/deceleration instead of a linear speed/simplistic 2d arc. It looks like a real run for your money, motion sickness wise.

If motion sickness isn't an issue just wait for the spiderman game to come out. not really spiderman, blanking on the name, but there is one in development that lets you swing around skyscrapers with basically spiderman webs. it's got genuine full 3D physics too so you will swing on a real trajectory with acceleration/deceleration instead of a linear speed/simplistic 2d arc. It looks like a real run for your money, motion sickness wise.

New Prototype?

Tencent just bought Grinding Gear Games (Path of Exile).

With no tweaks, it runs at 5fps. With the workarounds, it runs at 15fps. I'm not willing to put up with anything less than 30fps, especially with a game from 2004.

The human eye can't see more than 24fps anyways.
While I appreciate the suggestions, since I was just handed Unreal for free I suspect it will scratch the current itch. These phases usually don't last all that long, and I expect I'll be back to a steady diet of strategy games pretty soon.
Have either of you tried a game called 0 AD?

@Synsensa, human eye can see much more than 24fps. Try to play any VR game at 30fps and you probably will puke your guts out. While for a flat screen 30fps can be acceptable (60fps being the absolute ideal imo), in VR recommended framerate is 90fps and the ideal spot is said to be around 120fps, beyond that there is not noticeable benefits, so i think that 120fps is the limit for human perception.

I'm finishing a runthrough of Supreme Commander (and Forged Alliance) with all three factions.
This game is really the king of RTS, without even a distant heir. Even 10 years later, there is still nothing that even comes close (and with the genre on a prolonged hiatus, not sure there will be for the foreseeable future).

But damn, that's good.

@Synsensa, human eye can see much more than 24fps. Try to play any VR game at 30fps and you probably will puke your guts out. While for a flat screen 30fps can be acceptable (60fps being the absolute ideal imo), in VR recommended framerate is 90fps and the ideal spot is said to be around 120fps, beyond that there is not noticeable benefits, so i think that 120fps is the limit for human perception.

I'm finishing a runthrough of Supreme Commander (and Forged Alliance) with all three factions.
This game is really the king of RTS, without even a distant heir. Even 10 years later, there is still nothing that even comes close (and with the genre on a prolonged hiatus, not sure there will be for the foreseeable future).
But damn, that's good.

COH !
I prefer Micro over macro

COH !
I prefer Micro over macro
Even then, you have to recognize the fantastic UI, the incredible ambition and the awesome scale of the game. Having such gigantic maps full of units blasting several weapons at once, each weapons giving a deluge of shoots and each shoot being calculated, and yet the whole game running smoothly and allowing you to zoom in and out, plan whole logistic paths and display explosions everywhere... It enforces respect.

Thank you for correcting me. After some thought, I realized that the human eye can actually only see 18 fps.

(I'm a 60fps speed queen, it's just a gaming meme. ;) )

ETA: I tried playing Papers, Please. I bought it a looooooong time ago and only played for 20 minutes. This time I did for 2 hours before losing. Did not feel very inspired to try again.

Played a few hours of Banished. I've come back to this game three times, usually only for 2-5 hours, and then shelve it again. It's a good game, rather polished and not buggy at all, but there is a pretty big bottleneck in gameplay where you're just doing more of the same after you reach 70 population.

I got the level packs for Borderlands 2. Might replay it soon. Or play another game in my backlog. :think:

Last edited:
Pillars of Eternity 2 was released not long ago. Reminded me I hadn't yet played White March (my backlog in game is literally hundred of games and I really start playing on a whim, so...).
Then I realized I lost my previous game when I built a new computer (I backup my saves, but this time I forgot and only had a barely-half-the-game archive).
So well, I just started PoE1 from scratch.

And I admit, I find it better than first time around (I found it "good, but only good" and regularly had some definite spells of boredom). I guess already knowing the plot allows me to better grasp the details and subtleties and not be lost as easily (Grieving Mother is making much more sense now), and not being rushed to see what's happening next.
I'm having quite a lot more fun than the first time anyway, and the game has a more "this is a classic" feeling. Not bored at any time either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom