What would happen if Trump won against Hillary?

crabapple

I am watching
What would happen to the republican party?
What would happen to the democratic party?
What would happen to the US?
What would happen to the world?

Dont discuss how trump would win, there are other threads for that

The collapse of global civilization will happen in like 2050 instead of 2070.

Probably nothing. But after this election, I think the time has come for the Republican party to gradually wither, and I'd then expect the Democratic party to split and form the two new parties.

(The US should really adopt proportional voting and a parliamentary system...)

Mostly business as usual, but that will become more apparent during the rest of this election.

For all the screaming over Trump, the US governmental system is advanced enough that any one person can't hugely affect it. All the checks-and-balances will still be in place. And in any case, Trump is most likely far more moderate than his statements so far in the election has made him out to be.

We'll laugh a bit, just as when Bush was (re)-elected. Then we'll continue on. Possibly Trump will come with some less-than-diplomatic statements, which will create lots of media headlines, and some tiny diplomatic incidents, but it'll all pass.

Really, Trump isn't anything particularly special. He talks less controlled than anyone else, but the US government will mostly carry on as before.

Well, the Anti-Trump Riots by parts of the left would intensify, that's for sure.

Other than that I don't think that much would happen. He'd probably be a rather mediocre president who backpaddles on the stuff he said, some people would realize that the way the media portrayed him as Hitler 2.0 was completely over the top and in the end he'd probably become a reverse-Obama, looking like lots of potential for those who want to vote for him and ending up not achieving much.

Whether Trump is Potus, or Hilary (i don't think she will win vs Trump) there seems to be a coming mass escalation of wars in the middle east.

In that respect Hilary can easily be even worse. Also she likely will be worse re maintaining a charade of a global debt slavery system.

But first we will see the result of the UK referendum on EU membership, for if the UK leaves the EU there will be a sea of changes far before the new US president comes to office.

For all the screaming over Trump, the US governmental system is advanced enough that any one person can't hugely affect it.

That's because previous would-be tyrants have always aimed only, as you say, to "hugely" affect it, whereas Trump will aim to bigly affect it!

Big difference! Way biglier!

He'll throw discretionary inefficient spending money at different preferences than alternative presidents.

Otherwise I anticipate very little changing.

The left said the country wouldn't survive a second term by bush.
The right said the country wouldn't survive two terms of Obama,

Now everyone is saying the country wouldn't survive Trump.

Personally, I'm not overly concerned.

Wouldn't phase me. Somebody pass me the bong.

Nothing world-changing.

Trump's gonna muddle through, saying a lot but not actually doing much, dealing with a tricky Congress.

Unless of course the market panics at the very thought of a Trump presidency, and crashes.

President Trump would usher in a new age of political unity. If any other Republican had won the nomination, all Congressional Republicans would be pressured to move in lockstep with the president, and politics would go on as it was. But they would feel free to disagree with President Trump, and the disagreements might become so common that they can forge a grand coalition with the Democrats to oppose most of the things Trump wants to do, cobbling together a 2/3 anti-Trump majority and overriding all his vetoes, rendering him relatively powerless. Not only does he not get his legislative agenda through, but each time he tried to do something unpopular by Executive Order, Congress would pass a bill against that thing by supermajority margins and override yet another veto. Then the era of consensus politics would return, causing the government to become more functional than it's been in decades. This is how Trump will Make America Great Again.

;)

I'm not sure I wouldn't take a Trump presidency on those terms.

Seems people are to confident that Trump couldn't do lasting damage, but they forget that there is always executive orders..

Besides I think the democratic party would have a massive crisis on their hands, on how Hillary could have lost, and maybe start to rethink their politics.

End of their world. Trump would "propose" (ie randomly tweet out) his huge ideas for making America great again. Even Republicans in congress would recognize that tweeting doesn't actually make things happen, but they will get the full measure of blame from the Trumpists making the current level of "feeling betrayed" seem like "the good old days."

Not much. The Trumpists already consider Democrats to be their mortal enemies. Taking their share of the "blame" for keeping Trump in check won't make them any more hated in that quarter than they already are.

Pretty much all government at the federal level would grind to a halt...meaning that things would continue to happen on a purely reactionary stopgap basis.

The feeling that democracy left in the hands of imbeciles can be dangerous would be confirmed for those who already worry about it, and brought to the forefront for those who don't. Having the greatest concentration of world destroying power ever collected passed hand to hand every four years at the discretion of said imbeciles will be more widely recognized as a bad idea. Efforts to figure out how to drag the US away from the center of the world stage will increase, but still have no particular effect.

I actually think Trump could be a good or even great president. Boots was joking(ish?), but I actually think there is truth in what he's saying, that it would so radically alter the dynamics in Washington that big, important things could actually get done.

The much more likely scenario is that he issues an executive order banning non-citizen Muslims, the House swiftly impeaches him, and his Vice President is sworn in in June 2017.

As long as he chooses Ivanka as VP. She'd be the first VPILF. ;)

Top Bottom