When journalists are the news, not just reporting on it.

classical_hero

In whom I trust
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/kidnapping-charges-filed-against-60-minutes-crew-over-botched-child-recovery-mission-in-lebanon/news-story/88f1eb659cb15c60a1b5185fc3bb62a5
THE fate of an Australian mother and the 60 Minutes TV crew in Lebanon could be decided today, with the start of a hearing for 10 people facing charges of kidnapping, causing harm and disrespect for authorities.

Brisbane mother Sally Faulkner will front up at the Babda Palace of Justice in Mt Lebanon, Beirut, alongside 60 Minutes reporter Tara Brown, senior producer Stephen Rice, cameraman Ben Williamson, sound recordist David Ballment, three local men and two Britons.

It is expected to be the first full day hearing after Judge Rami Abdullah yesterday read lengthy testimony provided from the prosecutor, including formally filed motions of charges, which can carry anything from three years to life in jail.

Lebanese news service the Daily Star reports the charges could lead to 20 years’ jail time. Alternatively, the judge could downgrade the charges following the interviews.

All the accused declared they wanted a lawyer yesterday, so each spent five minutes before the judge with the exception of the children’s mother Sally Faulkner, who spent longer answering questions.

The four are among nine people to have been charged in the case, which centres on last week’s bungled snatching of two children from a school bus stop in the southern Beirut suburb of Hadath.

Speaking outside of the court to News Corp Australia, the children’s father Ali Elamine expressed his dismay at the situation.

“It is a big mess, a really big mess, 100 per cent,” said Mr Elamine.

“The children are good, they are in good health and that is all that matters not the media not what happened, but it (CCTV of the botched operation) is for everyone to view.
This was just stupid in what they did. Many have said the action of this recovery crew were amateurish and totally unprofessional. But they are going to be facing a massive amount of time in prison and the jails in Lebanon are not that nice to be in.

This thread can be used for any time a journalist makes news instead of being on the other side of it.

It's a good question, though: when does a journalist abandon just reporting the news and become engaged with the event instead?

I often wonder what I would do if I reporting on a famine, for instance.

You're supposed to report on the famine with the right amount of sympathy in your expression. That's all. Anything else would be unprofessional and not 'objective'.

Spoiler :
I've had first hand experience of when media becomes too inconvenient. The powers-that-be tend to win. Why bother with all that fuss, right? Just do your job and report what everyone else would report.

Top Bottom