1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Book Are You Reading Now? Volume XII

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Flying Pig, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demiurgenext

demiurgenext Chieftain

The Case Against the Case for Christ, by Robert Price. Pretty dry reading, but it takes on recent Christian apologetics without much sympathy. It's one thing to say you have faith, that's up to you. When you say you have scientific evidence, well let's just say the majority of the scientific community and biblical scholars would disagree with that assessment.

2. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

Re-reading Pynchon's "V" because it's way too cryptic and I didn't understand jack the first time. If anyone could help me out I'd be glad.

Also reading Edith Hamilton's "Mythology", which is the best collection of Greek myths I've ever seen. Great read, very much recommended.

3. stfoskey12

stfoskey12 Emperor of Foskania

Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson. It's about the 1900 Galveston hurricane, the deadliest hurricane ever to hit the USA.

4. Paul in Saudi

Paul in Saudi Emperor

5. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Sabotage, by Jay Leibold.
    Interesting.

6. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

JohannaK and Traitorfish like this.
  7. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

8. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

It is very interesting indeed.

9. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

I stayed up reading it last night. I've bookmarked the remaining articles for later along this week; they are all interesting.

Also, I've slowly begun reading Kropotkin's The Conquest of Bread, even if so much black text on a white screen background hurts a bit.
    (fear not, I will not become Brazilian overnight)

10. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Forgive me if we already have one of these, I haven't seen one any time recently. I'm always looking for more book ideas. I always say I'm going to read more, but I never know what's good to read. I enjoy both fiction and non fiction, but prefer fiction. As I mentioned in another thread, technology always makes it difficult to find time to read. I get most of my reading done when I'm on vacation away from technology and the internet in particular. Currently I'm reading a generic Tom Clancy book (not written by him, since the multiple series are done by other writers, I don't even think Tom writes any more), this is the series with the Campus and Jack Ryan jr. I can't recall the title, it's currently sitting in my truck, but it's fairly recent, like this year. I generally enjoy these books, but they are kind of generic action stories. I like the action, but I wish these authors weren't afraid to put some real human emotion into their books. God forbid a book aimed at guys have an emotional arc. I'm really looking for a book that has good action, political intrigue, as well as drama and emotion. I want everything I suppose.

So that's what I'm reading, feel free to say what you are reading and what you think of it so far.

11. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Tom died a couple years ago. :p

12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

LOL apparently he did die. That explains the lack of writing books himself. Where in the hell was I to have not heard about it? I blame the liberal media for not reporting his death. :)

I apologize for not seeing the thread buried on an older page. It isn't even that old, I should have noticed it. still it should be on page 1. You folks aren't reading enough. :D

13. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

wasn't he like in a coma or something during his last year or so?

14. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

:dunno: I stopped paying attention after seeing how dumb the plot was for The Bear and the Dragon. And quite honestly that was probably 4-5 books too late. I just recall hearing about his death.

15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I finished reading Chariots of Fire by Michel Parry and it was okay.

It's basically a novel about aliens meeting the ancient Incas and at first it was a bit predictable (I thought) but then it got a bit more interesting. I thought it would involve the Spanish in some way, but it didn't, so I was disappointed, but overall I'd give this book a 5.8/10. I enjoyed reading it because I enjoy alternate history stuff involving aliens and indigenous peoples, and from what I understand this book inspired the book by the same name by Daniken, which is what inspired the whole ancient aliens craze. So it was interesting to read for those reasons, but overall it wasn't a very good book IMO.

Right now I'm reading Matter by Iain M. Banks. Two chapters in and again I find myself among some not-so-modern people, which is a great start as far as I'm concerned

16. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Outlaw, by Angus Donald. It's a different take on the Robin Hood legend, as told in first-person by the teenage Alan Dale.

17. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

Just finished I, Claudius by Robert Graves and immediately started on the sequel Claudius the God (about 20% of the way through this now). Utterly great stuff, somehow I hadn't read these before even despite my great interest in classical history and Roman matters. Cla-Cla-Claudius is one funny and observant SOB as a narrator and the early chapters of the second book which focus on the character of Herod Agrippa, King of the Jews, are hilarious.

18. johnniewalk

johnniewalk Chieftain

Still i am searching suspense come horror story book, Please help me to search new good story book.

19. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

20. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

Just finished Kingpin, about the rise and fall of a carding hacker named Max Butler. Now on to Cyberpunk: Outlaws and Hackers on the Computer Frontier, published 1995.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.