Which Difficulty Level will you try first? (Poll)

What difficulty level will you try first

• Total voters
I usually play on Monarch in civ4, and only win about 25% of the time. Though I play on Emperor in FoH2 and have about the same success.
I hope they do indeed have less 'cheating' on the higher levels, I always hated that.
Anyways, I'll start on Prince and see how it goes.

I win 70-80% of CIV IV Games on Emporer and never tried a higher one...

I think I will start with Chieftan to be able to test a few things and still win. After that I will go on to noble and after that going up one grade of difficulty at a time up the the point where I will lose.

Settler, for the Steam "achievement" :)

Prince is the new noble, other than that your list is probably okay.

So did they basically combine those two into one or is there a no difficulty level? Prince and Noble were pretty close anyway.

Or better yet, see if you can get all the achievements except for the ones about winning the game from Settler to Immortal. :D That would be ultimate bragging rights for a civfanatic.

These types of achievements are bad because if I start at a high difficulty I have to later reduce it to get the achievement. I would prefer it just save the highest difficulty you've won at and then have a counter for how many times you've won on that difficulty.

Not sure about the difficulty, but I'm going to start on a duel sized map and work my way up. I want to sample lots of gameplay before I settle into a civ and settings to play.

I want a God-Emperor difficulty level:)

Honestly, Prince or higher. I've found that if I start on easier difficulties, I struggle when I try and go up, but if I start high and learn through trial and (much) error, it's ultimately easier.

Since Civ5 difficulties are less about AI bonuses and more about smarter civs, it should feel more fair than higher level Civ4.

There is nothing fair about CIV AI. It is designed to take advantage of the human player in some way when it comes to negotiations at the top levels. You may not recognize why the type of offers are made but what ever the AI thinks is fair is not to your advantage. Understanding that helps you win at the top level almost every time.

The the element of negotiations is an illusion which most human players willingly accept in their desire to fantasize the game experience.

Never give the AI an edge and try to do the unexpected which it may be slow to react to.

These types of achievements are bad because if I start at a high difficulty I have to later reduce it to get the achievement. I would prefer it just save the highest difficulty you've won at and then have a counter for how many times you've won on that difficulty.

I'm not sure what you mean. For example when you say "these achievements" - which achievements? Then, what is "the achievement" you refer to?

There is nothing fair about CIV AI. It is designed to take advantage of the human player in some way when it comes to negotiations at the top levels. You may not recognize why the type of offers are made but what ever the AI thinks is fair is not to your advantage. Understanding that helps you win at the top level almost every time.

Naturally; they're also trying to win the game. :D What I meant was that, instead of keeping the same level of AI intelligence and just loading them with bonuses (I'd win with a free Settler too), it gets smarter as you move up. Thus, it's more "fair" difficulty and less gamey overcoming-their-bonus.

A lot of games give credit for low difficulty completion achievements if you win on a higher difficulty. It would be nice if civ5 did that but they may not since there's also an achievement for winning on every difficulty (or is it every difficulty and size although it doesnt really matter which it is).

I'll probably try Warlord first and then try to go up the difficulty levels till I lose... which will probably be on the next difficulty level :(

Seeing as there are achievements to be unlocked for each difficulty, I suppose I will start out on Settler.

I'll start with something easy just to get a hang of the control and how thing work, then start over. I'm assuming that Chieftan will have more advisor screens ("Hey Idiot, that won't work in this version") which will help at first but quickly get annoying.

I will start from the bottom, for the achievements. Every game i will go up one level to see which difficulty is the best to play on (first one that i lose on :p).
In civ4 monarch got too easy then emperor got really fun, cos he wasnt that easy to beat.

Top Bottom