1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Polynesian civ?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Greywulf, Feb 3, 2018.

?

Which Polynesian civ?

1. Tonga

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. Samoa

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. Hawaii

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Maori (New Zealand)

26 vote(s)
    51.0%
  5. Other (please share)

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Keep it "Polynesia"

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. Hiva (Marquesas Islands)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Slan

Slan Chieftain

I really enjoy this civ idea, the atoll ability would be really fun to play with.

I feel Maori would be a terrible mistake as you would lose the features that made Polynesia in civ 5 so unique. Although Maori they did travel to New Zealand by sea but this would of been pre Maori Polynesian culture not Maori culture.

and once settled in New Zealand the Maori didn't do much island hoping themselves and were a lot more terrestrial minded then the rest of the Polynesian cultures.
    Also Maori would be another indigenous civ which is based around ancient/classical tech which is militaristic, this I really don't like ( and feel civ devs also tend to stay away from).

back to the Tonga civ idea, I would like to suggest a UI/LUA that also increases loyalty. Because in terms of gameplay this will be a serious issue for such a expansive civ. this could maybe be a meeting house eg Marae which would be a replacement for a monument but add extra loyalty based on trade routes to the city.

I loved Polynesia in civ 5 and would love a civ that would represent this culture in civ 6

Guandao and Greywulf like this.
  2. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

Edited in Tuʻi-tā-tui and renamed the ability.

What do you think of a loyalty bonus?

I like the idea of a loyalty bonus as well, and this it would be important. We just have to work out the best way to fit it in...Would replacing the amphitheater work? Because we could potentially add a loyalty bonus to their UI Fale Tele.

3. humble serf

humble serf Chieftain

@Slan : The Fale Tele is the Tongan term for what the Maori call a Wharenui, which is the building at the head of a Marae, so it looks like we're on the same page there.

Currently I don't think the Fale Tele is a particularly OP building, and could easily be given an additional bonus (ie. loyalty). I was considering giving it a loyalty bonus yesterday, but I figured most cities in the middle of the ocean wouldn't suffer loyalty pressure since they'd be so far away from the cities of other civilisations (I'm actually not totally sure if that's how loyalty works, I've only played like 2 games of R&F). In hindsight, though, it seems like wishful thinking to expect Polynesia to find an endless supply of small islands to settle in the middle of the ocean, and in most games they would probably end up settling at least a few cities along the coastline, or on islands that are only slightly offshore.

On the other hand, there are already enough sources of loyalty that players rarely seem to struggle with it. Maybe we could give Polynesia something that's a little harder to achieve than just immediate free loyalty -- maybe the Fale Tele provides +2 loyalty when one of its Great Work of Writing slots is filled, and another +2 when they're both filled?

Greywulf likes this.
  4. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

Very nice! For now I'll put that into it, and see how that looks...