Which television shows are you watching? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rewatched the first season of Zoo and decided to force myself to power through the second season. This show had an initially strong premise with good characterization, but quickly went off the rails. Season two doubled down on that, to its detriment.

I thought it had a decent ending, until the ending wasn't the ending and they fast forwarded. The crisis was never solved, actually, and now we get to see what the characters do a decade into the future (while looking exactly the same as before, so I guess they didn't have a makeup department). I really tried to give the third season a shot but I just couldn't. Terrible.

They squandered an excellent opportunity with the show. Boo. I can't recommend it in earnest with all that in mind.

The first 4-5 episodes were totally gripping, and then it jump the shark big time. Ended up sucking.

The last season of Better Call Saul dropped on netflix and it's outstanding. This show just gets better and better.

The house I stayed at this weekend had CBS All Access so I am caught up to E4 of Picard. I'll post my thoughts in the Star Trek thread but overall I thought it is a good show but too light on the Trekkieness.

I tried to watch ST: Discovery but the app (or apple tv) kept crashing. Seriously it crashes every time I'm at that house and I'm pretty sure the problem is the apple tv and not the apps.

Please don't let me put you off.

I have a problem with dubbing in general, so usually prefer to watch films/shows in their original language (with subtitles) if possible, to avoid the feeling of disconnect I get when the mouth-movements don't line up with the words heard. (Conversely, dubbing is standard practice in Germany — to the point where every Hollywood actor always gets dubbed by the same respective German voice-actor — so my wife doesn't even notice it). Point is, I might have been more enthusiastic/charitable about this series if I'd seen Eps 1+2, and/or watched it in the original Norwegian — especially if I'm right about the actors dubbing their own English (assuming that acting in one's native language is usually more sympathetic/ convincing).

We watched on my wife's Netflix.de account (which is set to German dubbing/subtitles for foreign imports, unless otherwise specified), and though there were quite a few different languages in the audio-options, I can't remember offhand if we were even offered an English-subtitling option. But people on Netflix.com might well be.

I can't stand dubbed-over foreign media. I did try the English dub for Ragnarok and you're right that it's awful. They do have original audio with English subs, although it's too late for you now. :p

The Wandering Earth on Netflix had really good dubbing. Like, really good dubbing. If you weren't looking for it, you forget it's a Chinese movie based on the dialogue.

Rewatched the first couple eps of ReGenesis last night. Sarah Strange had a brief role in the recent Legends of Tomorrow, which made me think of it. With nothing really tickling my fancy lately, I might just cruise through the first couple seasons again. iirc, it jumps the shark a little bit at the end of season 2/beginning of season 3, and then goes off the rails in season 4. Still, for 26 episodes, I loved this show. :thumbsup:

Down the drain: Deputy, with Stephen Dorff; 9-1-1: Lone Star with Rob Lowe and Live Tyler; and Lincoln Rhyme: Hunt for the Bone Collector, with a bunch of people I recognized but can't name without Google. I gave all these shows a few episodes to woo me, and none of them grabbed the brass ring. None of them made me angry, either, just bored, so I guess if you're looking for something to have on while you're folding the laundry or scrubbing the oven or whatever... :undecide:

My antenna only inconsistently picks up the relevant channel so I miss a lot of episodes but it surprises me how consistently good Stargate SG-1 was. It had interesting stand-alone stories right alongside more episodic and thematic story archs. The characters are all great and the acting is also fantastic.

I've also decided to ask my landlord if they will put in a cable pass-through in my wall so I can put the antenna on my porch for better reception. I feel like the law is on my side but they'll do (or not do) whatever they want despite the law. FCC regulations prohibit landlords from prohibiting the use of outdoor antennas in most instances but it is very common for landlords to do what they want regardless of that. My grandma's condo association fought a protracted legal battle with tenants (who owned, not rented their units) to stop them from deploying satellite dishes.

The condo owners won over the association but only because they had the time, money and patience to persist. I have none of those things if my landlord says no!

Down the drain: 9-1-1: Lone Star with Rob Lowe and Live Tyler
I watched the pilot episode and it's something I was OK with but with so many procedural shows floating on the airwaves I thought I'd first better catch up with/finish all the ones I'm already watching (seriously, I don't know what they're doing with the second season of The Rookie but they'd better get that on the air already!) before taking on one that doesn't seem like priority material so far. Also the air times (at least here) are awful.

The Dragon Prince S2 rolled over unexpectedly into S3.

(Yeah, yeah, OK, I admit it, I hit 'Next Episode' to find out how they were going to get past the big scary blind dragon -- but I didn't realise that was the last episode of S2 before I did it!)

So I'm watching that now.

(Also Luke Cage S2 and iZombie S4, if I didn't say so already.)

...And apparently the latest episode of Picard was a big deal. I wonder if I'll get another chance to catch up on it before it releases on DVD or if I'm in it for the long wait.

I only glanced at the relevant discussion in the Star Trek thread to avoid spoilers but apparently the hot take is that they've managed to fully gruntle the fan base with this one.

...And apparently the latest episode of Picard was a big deal. I wonder if I'll get another chance to catch up on it before it releases on DVD or if I'm in it for the long wait.

I only glanced at the relevant discussion in the Star Trek thread to avoid spoilers but apparently the hot take is that they've managed to fully gruntle the fan base with this one.

Why do you have to wait so long?

Why do you have to wait so long?
I do not have a subscription to CBS All Access. I have a DVD-by-mail plan from Netflix that lets me watch pretty much all the content from all the other services, just with a time delay. This past week I stayed at a house that coincidentally had CBS All Access and I got a chance to catch up with the show after having caught the first episode on Youtube. I do not think I will have another coincidental chance to watch it before it releases on DVD.

I am amazed about how much I am enjoying the new XFL. :eek: Except for a smattering of bowl games. I haven't watched American football since the nid-70's. But the smaller, quicker players and the new rules make XFL games really exciting. :w00t:

I watched the pilot episode and it's something I was OK with but with so many procedural shows floating on the airwaves I thought I'd first better catch up with/finish all the ones I'm already watching (seriously, I don't know what they're doing with the second season of The Rookie but they'd better get that on the air already!) before taking on one that doesn't seem like priority material so far. Also the air times (at least here) are awful.
Tonight.

Makes me think of the episode of CSI that Quentin Tarantino directed. The one with the ants.

(Also Luke Cage S2 and iZombie S4, if I didn't say so already.)
And also — despite initial misgivings — I carried on with Archer and Brooklyn Nine-Nine (still on S1 of both of those, though: they're amusing, but not to the point of inclining me to binge them).

After 2 episodes of Mad Men, wifey decided she wasn't interested in following through with it after all, so instead we watched the first episode of The OA, which I think might be a keeper (it's reminding me a little of The 4400 — not a bad thing — and she already watched all 3 seasons of Stranger Things). She (also) enjoyed the B9-9 episode we watched afterwards, so (if she wants to see more) I'll mentally recategorise that one as a shared show (like GLOW and Sabrina), and stop watching it on 'my' TV-time.

Very much looking forward to seeing Altered Carbon S2, which drops on Netlfix.de this Thursday (with Anthony Mackie as Kovacs' new sleeve, taking over from Joel Kinnaman): not sure when I/we'll be able to make time, though...

Last edited:
Oh boy add Altered Carbon and Better Call Saul to my backlog. :(

I used to be a huge fan of Archer but something happened around the Archer Vice season where it stopped being that funny for me. I think honestly the jokes and set ups got stale and the wacky changes in setting didn't really help that much. It's good juvenile humor but I feel it got repetitive. Or something. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that turned me off the show, I just stopped laughing and watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom