1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which television shows are you watching? Part III

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by leif erikson, Jul 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

It's a "parody" of police/medical shows. It is truly awful. On par with those old parody movies from the late 2000s when they realized Scary Movie did well and they wanted to milk it by parodying every movie fad under the sun. I have no idea how it's rated so highly. The design, sound, pacing, all of it, is as though it were produced by a high school drama club.

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Warlord

Well, just watched the final episode of The Good Place and it took me a long time to stop crying :D

3. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

Started watching Rise of Empires: The Ottomans.

I have to admit they are doing a great job telling the story of Mehmet's II obsession with conquering Constantinople.

As painful as it is to watch I'm enjoying it. I say painful because let's just say as an Orthodox Christian it's hard to see this jewel of the Balkans be lost even though it happened so very long ago.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  4. Synsensa

Teenager "oh no we're isolated" shows require suspension of disbelief, and I accept this. I can sit back and enjoy The 100 just fine, for example.

Netflix released a show called The Society. A bunch of teenagers, no adults, completely cut off from the outside world. Well, alright, that could be interesting.

The story, however, and the scenes... they are truly something else. Abysmal. Awful. Atrocious. Irredeemable garbage. Nothing makes sense, even from a perspective forgiving towards the premise. Truly terrible television. I try to think of an audience it could appeal to and I come up with nothing.

I've instead started Good Girls. It's not bad so far.

5. civvver

civvver Deity

I am really digging glow but find it a very interesting perspective that I am starting to despise Debbie more and more as the show goes on and adore Ruth even though Ruth was the one who injured Debbie and shouldn't it be the other way around? Should we sympathize with Debbie and he situation more? Yet I don't at all. She's barely likeable. The writers have done an interesting job there. Kind of like Betty used to be on madmen. Everyone hated her and loved Don despite Don's behavior being atrocious if you really looked at it, and Betty being innocent. But she just wasn't charming.

tjs282, hobbsyoyo and EgonSpengler like this.
  6. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

With its great season finale, Evil on CBS has become one of my favorite shows. I didn't think much of it at the beginning, with its hackneyed premise and bland title, but it's really grown on me. It took me a while to warm up to Katja Herbers, too, but I like her. It's run by Robert & Michelle King, who did The Good Wife, which I really liked (also The Good Fight, which I haven't seen). The Christmas episode, "Seven Swans a Singin'", was brilliant. Holiday episodes usually suck. I think the series has already been renewed for a second season, so the season finale won't be one of those annoying series cliffhangers that never gets resolved (hello, Southland fans).

Birdjaguar likes this.
  7. Synsensa

@Snerk Have you seen Ragnarok? New Norwegian show. About... well... y'know...

I thought it was alright. The pacing is a bit crap but it's only six episodes so I suppose that's forgivable. It's a story about an autistic teenager becoming Thor in a Norway where climate emergencies are caused by mythological figures.

He's not explicitly introduced as autistic, but it seemed fairly obvious.

Your fellow Norwegians hated it apparently: "The series was very badly received by Norwegian media. VG called it nonsensical and that the characters, plots, and dialogue were a failure, and noted that even though it was in Norwegian that it felt more like a Danish series.[2] Despite being set in Western Norway, the characters do not speak in western dialect.[2] Dagbladet called it a stilted mixture of Skam and Norse mythology, "just as bad as it sounds".[3]"

8. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Not seen it but it's on my radar! I've registered that the reviews are a little mixed and that some of the stuff is perhaps a little cheesy. But many seem to like it too.

I might get around to. It's on Netflix?

9. Synsensa

It is. At least, here it is. I think it's a Netflix Original so it should be there for you too.

I wouldn't exactly call it great theatre but it wasn't any more egregious than some of the English stuff being released lately. It's definitely cheesy.

But it's a pretty small investment. Six episodes at less than an hour each.

10. tjs282

tjs282 Socially isolated since 1975

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    It's (also) on Netflix.de, so I would assume that Netflix.no(?) has it too...?

11. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Yeah should be there.

Right now The Witcher and the new season of Curb is on the top of my list but I'm useless in getting stuff watched these days.

12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I have been using Stargate SG-1 as my current background music

13. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Stumptown: At the beginning of the network season, I'd have said this was my favorite new series. That first episode, the rare good pilot, seemed to be aiming for "Spenser: For Hire, if it were written by the Coen Bros, and if Spenser was a woman with PTSD and a little brother to take care of." It had a weird sense of humor and well-choreographed fight scenes featuring characters who didn't really know how to fight and car chases with people who weren't very good drivers. But then it seemed to lose its nerve and turned into a much more generic private detective show. The episodes with Dex being a P.I. have been the real yawners, while the episodes featuring the supporting characters have been the most fun. Ansel and Tookie are a great pair. Gray and the car thieves was kind of fun. I liked Max; I didn't like Inbar Lavi much in Lucifer - she plays Eve - but I did like her here. The show seems to start to do something and then chicken out a lot. When Dex partied with Gray's girlfriend, for example. Total wimpout. Max and Gray. Wimpout. Dex and her Army girlfriend. Probable wimpout, I'm assuming, we'll see. Y'know, now that I'm thinking about it, the writers have a pattern of setting up these dangerous women, threatening to throw a monkey wrench in Our Heroes' lives, and then chickening out and writing them off the show before they do too much damage. Boo, I say. Boooo. I am starting to come around to the idea that it's alright if the main character is the least interesting character. That can work. Buffy the Vampire Slayer was like that, for me, where the main character was sort of there for the nuttier supporting cast to orbit around. Cobie Smulders hasn't wowed me, but Sarah Michelle Geller never really wowed me either, and I watched that show almost from beginning to end. Dancing around the edges of Dex's PTSD is working for me, too. I'm glad they don't just bonk us over the head with it. I think there's a couple episodes left. I wouldn't be furious if it got canceled, but I think it's still got some potential, if the writers can just let their freak flags fly.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Episodes 4 and 5 of The Orville were kind of lame. The humor isn't good enough to sustain the show at this point and while the plots are pretty good Star Trek-type setups, the execution is kind of boring. Really it just needs to get funnier.

15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Warlord

Is this based on the comic?

16. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Yes. I've never read the comic, though, so I can't make any comparisons.

Loerwyn likes this.
  17. Synsensa

I rewatched the first season of Zoo and decided to force myself to power through the second season. This show had an initially strong premise with good characterization, but quickly went off the rails. Season two doubled down on that, to its detriment.

I thought it had a decent ending, until the ending wasn't the ending and they fast forwarded. The crisis was never solved, actually, and now we get to see what the characters do a decade into the future (while looking exactly the same as before, so I guess they didn't have a makeup department). I really tried to give the third season a shot but I just couldn't. Terrible.

They squandered an excellent opportunity with the show. Boo. I can't recommend it in earnest with all that in mind.

18. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I skipped Breaking Bad but AMC has been running a marathon of all 5 seasons on Sundays - the last, 5th season is this weekend followed by the movie El Camino which is supposedly a spin off. Gotta say its an impressive series, I dont want to give too much away but I had grown fond of the supervillain "Gus" even though he's a cold blooded killer. Anyway, season 4 ended this past Sunday and it was killer ;)

"Better Call Saul" is a spin off and the new season approaches in a couple weeks. I haven't watched it either, but will. He played the sleazy lawyer in Breaking Bad.

19. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

If you come to Albuquerque, you can tour lots of places used in the series. One of them, a park scene, was shot a stone's throw from my front door!

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  20. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I've been thru there at least once, but I thought of you when I saw Albuquerque was the setting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.