1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which television shows are you watching? Part III

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by leif erikson, Jul 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Towards the end of the series "Mike" is in a park watching his granddaughter (on the swings?); that is our neighborhood park.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  2. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Not quite as glamorous but they were filming for Casualty just up the road from me. One of my friends used to rent his house to the BBC for filming it. Penarth has also been the location for some of Doctor Who, Torchwood and The Sarah-Jane Adventures.

3. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

There's constant filming near me, but it's always for CW shows. Occasionally we'll get something big or different but it's usually the same sorts hanging about.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  4. tjs282

tjs282 Socially isolated since 1975

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Now watching The Dragon Prince S2 (did I already say that a few pages back? Can't be bothered to look ;) ) and -- having finished Sabrina S3 (ooh, the paradoxes are strong with this one!) with the wife -- we've started watching Mad Men S1 instead, which is already giving me a Breaking Bad-type vibe.

Which is to say that I suspect that I will not sympathise with, let alone like, any of the protagonists, but watching their slow-motion crash-and-burn will be(come) compulsive viewing (no spoilers, please!).

Synsensa likes this.
  5. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

This is pretty accurate, tbh. I only watched 'til the end for just that reason.

6. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

Which is what stopped me from watching Breaking Bad. I always thought it was great production, great acting, etc. but it was never the kind of people for whom I could have any sympathies.

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Warlord

I started watching 'The Borgias' last night - I'm only two episodes in but I quite enjoyed it, and I think I'll continue for sure. That said, it's really made me realise I'm not really a fan of Jeremy Irons - for some reason, I just don't think he's particularly good.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  8. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

For comparison, you can also watch the other Borgias series, which has less known actors, a smaller budget, a longer run and better historicity.

9. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Most of my new and returning shows this year have been fairly disappointing (Picard, The Magicians, Kim's Convenience, Modern Family, etc.). I have enjoyed the new nature show Seven Worlds, One Planet with David Attenborough on BBC America. I also just finished up Netflix's Rise of Empires: Ottomans docudrama, which was pretty entertaining and informative. I missed last year's The Last Czars, which I want to start watching this weekend.

For the most part I've had to go back and watch previous shows to find something entertaining. Currently started working through some mindlessly fun half hour shows/animation like The Clone Wars, How I Met Your Mother, Eureka Seven, & going way back to the early '90's - Saved By The Bell. Also fired up some older K-Dramas like Dream High, Reply 1994, & You Who Came From The Stars.

Hopefully, the new miniseries War of the Worlds that's finally making it to the US on Epix this coming Sunday will be good. The previous 3 episode UK one from last year was trash.

10. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Superconductor Moderator

Does anyone from the UK know if they are making any more episodes of the Philip K. Dick anthology series Electric Dreams? I really enjoyed the limited run they had in Canada, and I was hoping for more.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  11. Laurana Kanan

iirc, it was only ever intended to be a limited run series of 10 episodes. There were some rumors back in '18 about a sequel series, but as far as I'm aware the project is dead.

12. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Superconductor Moderator

Oh bummer. :(

13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Warlord

I'll give it a go when this is done. Thank you :)

14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I haven't seen the other one, but the Jeremy Irons one is fantastic. It ends abruptly, unfortunately.

15. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

I would definitely recommend the other series. Canal+ also did the sumptuous three-series Versailles, featuring an Englishman, a Welshman and a Scot as Louis XIV, his brother Philippe d'Orleans and his chief valet, Bontemps. :)

16. Laurana Kanan

Although I just watched an episode of How The Universe Works, which detailed the likely impossibility of our ever contacting intelligent alien life, I found the premiere of the new War of the Worlds series intriguing all the same. I especially appreciated that the events, while global, are focused in the UK and France and not the stereotypical US.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  17. tjs282

Watched the last 4 (out of 6) episodes of that Norwegian series Ragnorok on Netflix, with the wife (she'd watched the first two eps without me). It was... OK, I guess. Interesting idea, executed competently enough, but not very, I dunno, compelling...?

Some of that might have been due to the dubbing, though. The script seemed to have been (Google?-)translated into English by someone who didn't speak/read it very well (would any psychiatrist really describe a patient as being 'warmongering' rather than 'aggressive'...?) ;) I was also left wondering if the same actors also provided their voices for the English dub, as everyone spoke with noticeable Scandinavian (Norwegian?) accents — including one character/actor who'd obviously learned her English from an American teacher, unlike her in-universe family.

Seemed to end kind of suddenly, though, and without really resolving the story. Maybe in S2...?

18. Laurana Kanan

My older sister and brother-in-law just got done watching this and they said they really enjoyed it. I was thinking about giving it a shot, but now with your review I'm not sure I want to waste my time.

19. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

XFL

IMHO. this is better than the NFL. The players are smaller and more nimble There's a lot more action. :thumbsup:

20. tjs282

Please don't let me put you off.

I have a problem with dubbing in general, so usually prefer to watch films/shows in their original language (with subtitles) if possible, to avoid the feeling of disconnect I get when the mouth-movements don't line up with the words heard. (Conversely, dubbing is standard practice in Germany — to the point where every Hollywood actor always gets dubbed by the same respective German voice-actor — so my wife doesn't even notice it). Point is, I might have been more enthusiastic/charitable about this series if I'd seen Eps 1+2, and/or watched it in the original Norwegian — especially if I'm right about the actors dubbing their own English (assuming that acting in one's native language is usually more sympathetic/ convincing).

We watched on my wife's Netflix.de account (which is set to German dubbing/subtitles for foreign imports, unless otherwise specified), and though there were quite a few different languages in the audio-options, I can't remember offhand if we were even offered an English-subtitling option. But people on Netflix.com might well be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.