White Flight Redux: Self Segregation out of Irrational Fear.

Cutlass

The Man Who Wasn't There.
White America is quietly self-segregating
Everyone wants diversity. But not everyone wants it on their street.
Updated by Alvin Chang@alv9nalvin@vox.com Jan 18, 2017, 8:20am EST

But this isn't a story about what minorities have done. It's about how many white people have reacted to increasing exposure to nonwhite populations, who are following in their footsteps and pursuing the traditional American dream. The reaction is not always articulated or even intentional; in fact, most people say they want to live in a diverse and integrated community; they, too, have the dream that no one will be judged by the color of their skin.

But data shows that as minorities move into suburbs, white families are making small and personal decisions that add velocity to the momentum of discrimination. They are increasingly choosing to self-segregate into racially isolated communities — "hunkering down," as Lichter likes to call it — and preserving a specific kind of dream.

And even when white families live in relatively diverse suburbs or urban neighborhoods, the one place integration has to be faced head on is in traditional public schools, where catchment areas determine where your child goes.

In a place like North Carolina, white families are using charter schools to escape this system. And as a whole, studies show that charter schools have created more segregation than traditional schools. It can be a tool to integrate schools, but that’s not what’s happening — white children who choose to go to charter schools are choosing to go to predominantly white schools, and black children to a predominantly black one. In short, charter schools are being used by some as a self-segregation tool.

https://www.vox.com/2017/1/18/14296126/white-segregated-suburb-neighborhood-cartoon

So the takeaway from this is that whites are continuing to segregate the US. And this has major negative consequences for the future of the country. These are the Trump voters, to a large extent. And they are denying other Americans a chance at the American Dream.

What's the problem here? (aside from this being a 60 yr old story). The white folks move out, taking their privilege with them, and leave behind a nice neighborhood in which the People of Diversity can relax and prosper.

What's the problem here? (aside from this being a 60 yr old story). The white folks move out, taking their privilege with them, and leave behind a nice neighborhood in which the People of Diversity can relax and prosper.
people of diversity lol.

Good term. In Berkeley there are two kinds of people. The minority: people who "stay with their own kind" in its various forms, and the majority: people who associate freely. Or as I might shall now call us "people of diversity"

The problem is that poor people and people of color in segregated schools don't ever get the same education and life opportunities as people in integrated schools get.

Man, it's nearly as if humans were tribal in nature - an audacious and completely novel concept !
I'm sure we're on some never-heard before breakthrough here.

Do you really want the opportunity machine churning out more people like me?

Judging from the last two paragraphs in the OP (i.e. 50% of it), the thread title could just as well be "White and Black America are quietly self-segregating"

White America is quietly self-segregating
Everyone wants diversity. But not everyone wants it on their street.
Updated by Alvin Chang@alv9nalvin@vox.com Jan 18, 2017, 8:20am EST

https://www.vox.com/2017/1/18/14296126/white-segregated-suburb-neighborhood-cartoon

So the takeaway from this is that whites are continuing to segregate the US. And this has major negative consequences for the future of the country. These are the Trump voters, to a large extent. And they are denying other Americans a chance at the American Dream.
Ferguson was a consequence of desegregation writ-large in the St. Louis area. The segregation is so bad that locals put a lot of emphasis on which high schools they went to lest you think they may have ever associated with the others. It's really bad there and I'm glad I got out.

Question for the OP, do you live in a minority neighborhood?

I have, and the problem for me is the hip hop music at loud volumes. Hispanics do it too. It's part of their culture. So yes, I do want to live among people who are quiet and don't disturb me. Call me racist if you like. I don't treat other races bad, however. I just acknowledge that there are different cultures in the U.S. By the same token, I don't want to live in some white trash neighborhood with heavy metal playing all night. That's a culture I don't want to be a part of.

Question for the OP, do you live in a minority neighborhood?

I have, and the problem for me is the hip hop music at loud volumes. Hispanics do it too. It's part of their culture. So yes, I do want to live among people who are quiet and don't disturb me. Call me racist if you like. I don't treat other races bad, however. I just acknowledge that there are different cultures in the U.S. By the same token, I don't want to live in some white trash neighborhood with heavy metal playing all night. That's a culture I don't want to be a part of.

The racial makeup of the town was 38.4% White, 25.9% Black or African American, 0.03% Native American, 5.9% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.3% from other races, and 1.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 28.3% of the population.

It's pretty disgusting that you evidently don't care about your fellow Americans not getting the same opportunities you had.

It's pretty disgusting that you keep using the word 'disgusting' all over this forum to just describe people with a different political opinion than you. Sounds like you're not ready for the big boy world.

1. People want to be around others like them. Shame on the Chinese in Chinatown, no? Oh, the rules are different for those in the minority than those in the majority? That doesn't sound very 'equal'.

2. Can you blame people who don't want their property values to decrease? Even if they are not racist, and they wouldn't devalue the price of the property, other prospective buyers will. After the first decrease in home value, some will want to sell before it drops even more.

Ferguson was a consequence of desegregation writ-large in the St. Louis area. The segregation is so bad that locals put a lot of emphasis on which high schools they went to lest you think they may have ever associated with the others. It's really bad there and I'm glad I got out.

You mean the area that had a high school that was so terrible the state state superintendent of public schools in that state visited the troubled high school personally and stated at the graduation ceremony "We failed you".

It's pretty disgusting that you keep using the word 'disgusting' all over this forum to just describe people with a different political opinion than you. Sounds like you're not ready for the big boy world.
Racism is still worse, though.

1. People want to be around others like them. Shame on the Chinese in Chinatown, no? Oh, the rules are different for those in the minority than those in the majority? That doesn't sound very 'equal'.
There are practical benefits to Chinese people living in Chinatown, namely, access to Chinese-language facilities, to Chinese cultural and religious institutions, and to specialty business. Do you imagine that similar motivations drive white flight?

Last edited:

Dude, there are political opinions that are just plain disgusting. If you don't want to face that truth, I submit it is you who is not ready for big boy world.

Dude, there are political opinions that are just plain disgusting. If you don't want to face that truth, I submit it is you who is not ready for big boy world.
They can say you are disgusting just as easily.

Top Bottom