1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who are the Great People?

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by xienwolf, Jul 16, 2008.

1. A_Hamster

A_Hamster Small Furry Animal

One could also use a fictional prefix or suffix to indicate "town" or "city" for each culture. One doesn't want to overdo it though, or every place will end up sounding alike.

For example, in the Lord of the Rings, "Minas" meant tower, thus we have Minas Anor "Tower of the Sun", and Minas Ithil "Tower of the Moon". When Minas Ithil fell to the Lord of the Ringwraiths, it was renamed Minas Morgul "Tower of Sorcery", and Minas Anor became Minas Tirith, "Tower of the Guard."

Historical examples would be the use of -polis in Greek, -ton in English, -atlan (-tlan) in Nahuatl and -abad in Arabic.

In FfH, Bannor uses "Tor" often, much like the above Lord of the Rings example, so there is already official precedent. Coming up with a few more would not hurt.

That being said, for the Khazad, I prefer city names like "Mountainheart", "Irondeep Gulf", or "Stoneforge". (All names I've used when I was still GMing fantasy RPGs.)

2. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

3. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

Almost all from the same site, I have that entire site saved, just haven't sat down to figure out which Great People any of them "belong" to. Mainly though I've been trying to decide if I should just flat out use pictures of the Muppets for the Great Engineers...

4. Broken Hawk

Broken Hawk Chieftain

Will this modmod make it into FF? :D

5. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

it already did.

6. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

Actually 050 was going to release with EVERY great person having an image, but things got crossed in last-minute file transfers sadly. So we're working on a "Media Pack" download so you don't have to get all the pictures each and every patch.

And I'm looking to get enough time to fully update the release for FfH, since it isn't as easy as how I set it up for FF

7. Broken Hawk

Broken Hawk Chieftain

Thanks for the info. I've been short on time and haven't had a chance to play FF yet.

8. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

bump..... so I don't have to look too hard for this : )

9. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

... Did the "City description" thread ever get going? I am sad I didn't manage to help out with this thread, so I'd probably be willing to help KC in his one-man-show (if someone else does my homework aswell)?

10. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Chieftain

It didn't, but I'd like your input into such, as I said here:

11. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young Chieftain

Leonard of Quirm. Or Kalm. Or whatever other city you desire. But for the sake of fantasy, how could you not have Leonard as a Great Engineer? He's perfect! :crazyeye:

12. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Leonard Nimoy?

13. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young Chieftain

Huh.

I just realized that Volanna the Grigori Adventurer is the same person (presumably) as Volanna the minor leader for the Svartalfar. A minor leader with the Treacherous trait (at least in Rise from Erebus), no less, so it's strange to see her as a Grigori stalwart.

Any bright minds have an explanation for it? My playthrough of the Elven court scenario was a bit short, so I never had anything relevant there.

14. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Mostly because Kael used her as a Svartalfar leader in the scenarios, and Notque gave her Treacherous... I haven't touched her myself. :lol:

15. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young Chieftain

I meant a lore reason for the switch.

16. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

And I gave you the only reason there is. ;)

Really, there is absolutely NO lore reason I know of, unless she was a leader during the Elven Civil War and became an adventurer after.

17. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

which is likely.

18. Opera

Opera Chieftain

I made up a lore reason if anyone is interested: she was the central part of the plot conspired by Svartalfars who were fed up with the war. It consisted in the assassination of Faeryl Viconia. Volanna was the voluntary assassin and succeeded. Afterwards, the Svartalfars were kicked out of the Ljosalfar lands with a 'thanks but you're bastards'. Instead of staying with their new leader, Volanna chose to go somewhere else and eventually become a Grigori adventurer.

19. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

I can see that, her wandering, doing odd jobs for various leaders and warlords, assassinations, thefts, etc, before finally running into an adventurer and becoming enamored with that life (and the Grigori)

20. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

Or that's just what gives her the biggest Ego-boost and income atm.

Would be cool with unique adventurer graphics imo :p