1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who are the Great People?

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by xienwolf, Jul 16, 2008.

1. 25_Hour

25_Hour Chieftain

"They refer to us as "lunatics" only because they understand neither the meaning nor the ultimate purpose behind our Speaker's visions. But then, what can you expect of a people who have never dreamed of the towers of Carcosa, or midwifed the birth of a Drown?"

--Mag Tuireadh

"The highest calling of any race is that of Industry, of taking raw materials from the world around us and shaping them into things of utility and beauty. This is the price of Kilmorph's blessing, and we pay it gladly."

--Aengus Saone

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcosa
    (Carcosa is a city from the Cthulhu mythos, but hasn't been referenced in FfH canon. Allowable?)

Also, we need more neutral-ish Great Prophets! Overlords, Fellowship, and Runes, I mean. Most seem to be either Order or Veil.

2. Milosrdenstvi

Milosrdenstvi Chieftain

# Aes Sidhe - Female/Elven - Svartalfar: "The night shall be thy cloak, and thou shalt blend with it as doth the darkest panther. Deception shall be thy blade, and mystery thy follower. Turn back from no place, but become as one with the inhabitants there, till their will is thine, or their blood the earth's. (Prophet of Esus)

# Teutates - Male/Human - Kuriotate: Comes the dragon, comes his magnificence, comes the brightest gold the world has seen. What part have we in mysterious magics? We shall be but trampled underfoot coming and going by one god or another. But come with me, and ride with the dragon, and he with fire and acid shall guard our glory and destroy the hordes that rise up against it. The dragon is power. Soon we shall have among us the essence of the divine.

Aegeus Isildur - Male/Human - Kuriotate: I planned these cities. With the help of a thousand peoples I built them. Look at them! Are they not the grandest things on Erebus? Home to unimaginable numbers, reaching up to heaven, all shining like the gold they're made of. See them gleaming!

3. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Emperor

Rusa Pariek, male Svartalfar merchant

"I never called them anything other than 'meat pies.' So I wasn't technically lying. Besides, the city morgues were getting too full, the poor were going hungry, and the assassin's guild needed a cheap way to get rid of bodies. All problems solved."

4. Ekolite

Ekolite Deity

Hahaahaa Good one!

5. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

6. westamastaflash

westamastaflash Lord Commander

Don't you know..

SOYLENT GREEEN IS PEOPLE!

7. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Emperor

For MC's quote, hoping not to earn his wrath.

"Cultuum? Spends all his days up in the Tower of Alteration. Apparently he's trying to build a better universe. Some say he's insane. Every so often he'll mention one of his ideas, though... you know what I reckon? If he pulls it off, I'm moving there." -Unknown adept on Magister Cultuum

8. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

I'm Algeroth and I approve this message.

9. Skitters

Skitters Prince

Great Commanders:
    Palpeious - Male/Orc - Clan of Embers -
    Attack from the hills not across the river. Are you SURE you get the idea, Greeb? Yes, the arrows and walls WILL be a problem, Snod, but that's why we gave the Ogres big rocks. You say they ate the rocks, Harough? For Bahll's sake, just... CHARGE!

Great Engineers:
    Khmer Otterfig - Male/Goblin - Clan of Embers - Known Facts: Small, green, kind
    It isn't easy... Being Green.

Just to refer these two entries to the Aqueduct entry that Kael has accepted :)

Pedia Entries

10. Annex

Annex Tyranny and Mutation

Ive reworked the Goroff Grist quote a little, tell me what you think

"In the name of Junil a just decision has been made. Like the crow, Lita will take flight. If she falls to her death, she may be given an Order funeral. If not, then any punishment we can give will not equal the fate she will eventually suffer..."

11. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

12. Kael

Kael Deity

To answer the question in the first post Hastur was intended to be the archangel. He was an extremly enigmatic figure in the D&D games and occasionally appeared as human to push his agenda before his attack on Mammon's vault.

It doesn't make much sense as a great person in the are of rebirth where he was kept busy in Danalins vault. But I just pulled a bunch of my favorite characters as great people (at the time I never thought anyone would be interested enough to ask about their backstory).

So I may go and change a few of the great people to make them match the backstory better. Many have been worked into quotes and story elements, but its worth a review to cut some duplicate and confusing names out.

13. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

14. A_Hamster

A_Hamster Small Furry Animal

Since these are actual historical quotes, I've provided attribution. In the case of the Ben Franklin quote, just change America to Bannor. For the Great Merchant quotes, I'm following the precedent of vanilla Civ, where Versailles and The UN provided Great Merchant points, implying diplomats/politicians are "Great Merchants". I also decided to treat "Sopheriel" as a family name, following the real world Asian precedent that traditionally the family name comes first, then the personal name. It doesn't make much sense for the Bannor, since they have a more western European feel, but the quotes seemed more appropriate to the Bannor than any other FfH civ.

Great Sage
    Cu Roi Human/Male - Elohim
    Power without wisdom is deadly - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Great Merchants
    # Sopheriel Mehayye Human Female/Bannor
    Establishing the liberties of America will not only make that people happy, but will have some effect in diminishing the misery of those, who in other parts of the world, groan under despotism. - Benjamin Franklin

# Sopheriel Memeth Human Male/Bannor (Great-grandson of Sopheriel Mehayye)
    We are the heirs of the ages, and yet we have had to pay few of the penalties in which old countries are exacted by the dead hand of a bygone civilization. - Theodore Roosevelt

Great Bard
    Caspian Loch - Human/Male - Bannor -
    War is the mother of all things - Heraclitus

Great Commander
    Tethira - Female/Human - Hippus
    War is sweet to those who do not know it. - Erasmus

15. Skitters

Skitters Prince

The Bannor don't strike me as being overly concerned about liberty. Indeed I'd have thought that a Despotic leader would get on quite well in the Bannor as long as his/her primary purpose was to forward Junil

16. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Indeed. If you want to use these quotes for a civ that protects liberty, then they should go to the Grigori.

17. A_Hamster

A_Hamster Small Furry Animal

True enough, but my reasoning was that the Bannor are the only FfH civ that sees themselves as having a mandate to improve the lot of others, even if that is only freedom from demons. That is similar to how America has always seen itself, "a city on a hill" in the words of John Winthrop, governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony). [To be fair, Gov. Winthrop meant this as leading by example as opposed to crusading.] Both the Bannor and the U.S. have a sense of exceptionalism, which is why I thought the quotes fit. In any case, Xienwolf has edited quotes before, and if he thinks they'll go better elsewhere, he'd edit or change the nationality of the Great Person(s) as needed.

18. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

Not sure about your Teddy Rose quote. Bannor have been around for quite some time, and have many debts to pay due to their heritage (namely, the Clan). But overall, quite nifty set, and gets us closer to completion.

EDIT: 3 post Ninja'd on that one. I'm debugging, so it's to be expected. I did indeed modify the quote from saying "Liberty" to saying "Structure"

19. Annex

Annex Tyranny and Mutation

I have two Bannor quotes for bard Chiles Putney

"It is well known the greatest works of our time are composed of pain and suffering. Who better to create the next great masterpiece than those who wandered the bowels of hell itself?"

OR

"Let the Balseraph write about their colored masks, and the Ljosofar about the beauty of nature, none of these artists are inspired by the grandeur of Torroleriol's temples or the discipline of a Bannor military regiment."

20. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity