Who is greater: Alexander or Jesus?

Who has had more impact?

• Total voters
Just curious, but what does 12 legions of angels actually consist of? And in what matter would they dispatch their adversaries?
They would dispatch them using a lethal combination of fists and magic of course. Silly Camikaze :rolleyes:

;)

They would dispatch them using a lethal combination of fists and magic of course.

Sure they wouldn't turn the minds of their enemies away from the earthly disease of war, and towards the ethereally splendid concept of encompassing love?

Right now, Jesus is. But when Christianity becomes nothing but mythology in the future, Jesus will be sidelined to someone like Zeus, except Jesus was a real person of course.

Alexander's legacy has lasted all this time and will continue to last so long as there's Greek/western culture. Alexander is reached India and briefly started a Greco-Buddhist culture.

'Great' has already been defined in the OP for the purposes of the thread and clarified even further in the thread. Maybe I should just put the post in the OP so that people would stop spamming to ask.

Still too vague.

So what do you want, a scientific study? Ever heard of a normative question? If you have an opinion, state it and back it up. Otherwise, nobody forced you to read or post.

Christianity has had a far reaching influence on politics for centuries and still exerts a strong influence even now. Its been the driving force behind a lot of the power white nations. But there really isn't much evidence Jesus the historical figure existed any more so than King Arthur the historical figure existed. So Alexander wins. Now, if it were a question of Paul of Tarsus vs Alexander, Paul wins.

Right now, Jesus is. But when Christianity becomes nothing but mythology in the future, Jesus will be sidelined to someone like Zeus, except Jesus was a real person of course.

People stopping to believe in Jesus has nothing to do with the influence of Christianity, which includes all of western civilization. Modern western civilization would not exist if it wasn't for Christianity. That's far more important than Bactria and the Indo-Greek Kingdom, whose influences do not exist today.

Really? All Alexander did was spread Helenik culture further, and everything which he founded eventually crumbled. Christendom is still standing, and the world's largest religion.

Alexandria is still here.

The city of Alexandria in Egypt still exists, and it was the home of the greatest library that ever existed, the famus library of Alexandria, burned twice, IIRC. The first time was by the Islamic leaders.

Didn't Julius Caesar burn it down when he was fighting Pompey? That would place him before Islam.

Alexandria is still here.

But the Hellenistic culture isn't.

If we're going by city count, Christianity pwns.

Entire empires have been found based on spreading his teachings. Even if those beliefs are wrong, you still cannot deny the impact of those who have been motivated by him.

But the Hellenistic culture isn't.

The effects of it's influence is still here. Hellenisim influenced Rome heavily and I don't think any other nation has influenced the world more than Rome has.

Current western civilization is pretty much a direct descendant of Hellenistic culture.

Yeah, the Greeks did give us philosophy, science, mathematics, drama, and a whole list of other things. They have a legacy that permeates every where, from the Hippocratic oath, to mathemtical symbols that use the letters of the greek alphabet, to the scientific method, and so on. Although Alexander didn't necessarily spread those things per se by conquering the world.

And what are they? What's your elaboration?
Well, Christian influence is more significant the Hellenistic. I mean Alexander conquered, he died, people fought over how to divide things up, and the Romans came in and made everything irrelevant. Jesus founded Christianity which had became the official religion of the greatest superpower the Earth had seen up to that point within 400 years. It has become a great force for good with many prominent artists, scientists, and benefactors from then to now being influenced by his life in their works. It has also been distorted into a force for evil, with wars from the Crusades to the conflicts surrounding the Reformation to the War on Terror today having some root in distortion of Christianity. And yeah, while many scientists were pious people who were driven to do all things by Christ, many people clung to the Church as an excuse to hold back science. Plus, as a Christian, I'd have to say bringing people life is more important than bringing people death.

The discussion really isn't very historical.
It revolves around the discussion of historical figures, so I'd say it's better off there.
Anyway, you aren't a mod, so comments like these aren't meaningful at all.
Yeah, but that doesn't mean I can't gripe about it.

Well, Christian influence is more significant the Hellenistic. I mean Alexander conquered, he died, people fought over how to divide things up, and the Romans came in and made everything irrelevant.
Hahahaha, you're funny. Tell me another joke. :)

Top Bottom