Who is more pushy with their POV atheists/agnostics or the religious.

Who is more pushy?

• Total voters

Mark1031

Deity
You needn’t reply about how you can’t generalize and all religions are different bla bla bla. I mean in general so generalize.

From my side (atheist) there are some groups that do things like challenge the phrases about god on money and in government buildings. Now I find this annoying, not because they aren’t correct in the law, but because they cannot win in the society as it is and it is one of the least important things I can think of to worry about. But they are not saying put my POV on money and buildings but just don’t mention the topic in these venues. So this is the most radical of the atheist “proselytizer”, saying hey, just don’t engrave god all over our money and publicly funded buildings. The bulk of atheists could care less. The only place I have ever discussed religion is here and maybe while stoned in college but I really don’t remember it. We're atheists, what’s to discuss.

On the other side of the ledger I have had many people come to my door to try and push their religion. They were very nice and I am polite and it really doesn’t bother me. But the political arm of religion does and is trying to push claims about god and creation in schools and every aspect of public life. Yet many religious people feel put upon by atheists. How? Please explain. No one is closing your churches. No one is teaching your kids to be atheists. We are not coming to your door trying to convert you. We are not insisting on engraving god is dead on our money or government buildings.

Not to mention the T-vangelists.

On the forum it is definitely the atheists/agnostics who are pushy. And religious(christians) people are on the defense in big parts of Europe. On the other hand atheists have not, apart from some advertising on buses, spent any money on converting believers.
Just today I read about some norwegian christian organisation(it is a conservative, but still mainstream organisation within of the state church) was going to increase funding for converting Norwegian muslims(good luck...).

Relgious, otherwise most of the world would still be Pagan.

On the internet: Atheists

Regular life: Religious

Although I haven't found both to be that pushy. Its just words.

On the internet: atheists

Real life: also atheists

Never met anybody trying to convert me to any sort of deity-involving religion, actually.

Atheists leave you alone unless you step on their toes. The religious step on your toes if you leave them alone.

I've never met an atheist has woken me from my slumber at the crack of noon to tell me about how wonderful it is that there's no god.

I've never met an atheist who wanted to put In No God We Trust on our money

I've never met an atheist who wanted to have "Under Absolutely Nothing" in our pledge.

I've never met an atheist that wanted to erect a plaque in our public buildings with all the commandments he doesn't have to follow.

I've never met an atheist that said we shouldn't consider Religious people as citizens.

I haven't really seen many atheists campaigning to convert people to atheism. I've seen supporting secular government and civil liberties, but I've never seen atheists campaign to convert people like religious people do.

For the majority of recorded history, the religious. The atheists/agnostics are beginning to catch up though.

In real life, the religious.

On the internet, the atheists.

edit: dangit, two people thought of my answer before I did! grrr. I'mma gonna jihad them good!

At least part if the reason most atheists don't want to inflict their morals on is others because they can't. It might be different if they ever achieved a majority. Then watch out. The back side of our money is going to then read "In Nobody We Trust", and we will be tithing to the Church of God the Utterly Indiferent.

I don't recall seeing threads "Mobboss K.O.'s Atheism 12: The Awesoming" :D

But yes in real life, the religious tend to be a little more pushy. Why this one time, this Buddhist completely shoved his religion down my throat! Well he didn't exactly shove it, he more like discussed his religion and his reasons and listened to mine and we had a nice chat on the MAX. :)

However the opposite trend occurs on the internet though.

Generally the religious, I have never actually met a atheist pushy about his non-religion (then again they wouldn't have anything to push against with me since I already don't believe in God or gods). Agnostics are obviously the least pushy since they don't know what they would even push for.

Agnostics are obviously the least pushy since they don't know what they would even push for.

You haven't met the sort who get all preened up about how fair and impartial they are?

In any case, internet atheists are pretty pushy, but I suspect that's mostly just a way to blow off steam from real world religious pushiness.

Perfection's creationism thread doesn't target the religious, it targets the ignorant and/or stupid!

Oh that's right! "Mobboss K.O's Evolution 11: The Empire Strikes Back"

You haven't met the sort who get all preened up about how fair and impartial they are?
Yes, but usually they are religious and somehow see their religious beliefs as logical.

In any case, internet atheists are pretty pushy, but I suspect that's mostly just a way to blow off steam from real world religious pushiness.
Seconded. You never hear of atheists harassing people in the subway.

I live in a dense metropolitan area, often traveling to parts of town with lots of foot traffic. With the exception of the angry haters pretending to be Christian who yell at us for being sinners with their commercial budgets for conversion, most of the mean aggression I get regarding religion comes from self righteous atheists. I also spend a lot of my time online, which accounts for much of it. While I know that the religious have, as a proportion to any given human activity, done more than atheists throughout history, in my own experience atheists, on a personal man-to-man level have been pushier and more aggressive and ruder with their beliefs. Thus my vote.

But is worth noting Downtown's atheist equivalent has never come to my door seeking a conversion. :p

Agnostics and loose atheists (the absence of belief, rather than the belief of absence) are completely wonderful people who don't harass anyone.

Edit: it's also worth noting the word "pushy". You can't be "pushed" if you're already there, so to speak. Since I am a person of faith, not particularly religious (perhaps too open minded), those telling me to believe in God or whatever are at some level preaching to the choir--I really don't feel infringed upon. It's like being at my local baseball stadium and hearing "Go A's"--it incites camaraderie, not annoyance. On the other hand, as a liberal who watches Bill Mahar and hangs out in internet forum, I'm at odds with a large segment of my world, meaning even if that side pushes weaker, I'm being more pushed.

Top Bottom