Who will be the next UK Labour Party Leader?

Who will be the next UK Labour Party Leader?

• Keir Starmer

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Emily Thornberry

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Lisa Nandy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yvette Cooper

• Jess Phillips

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Clive Lewis

• Rebecca Long-Bailey

• Shared like the Greens

• Jeremy Corbyn

• Some one else

• Total voters
I don't know. RLB probably. Maybe it is a bit overkill to have Angela Rayner as deputy leader, though. That said, obviously Emily wouldn't accept any deputy leader position.
Maybe Lisa Nandy or Clive Lewis would be better as deputy.

Imo both RLB and Emily are great as leader, but maybe Emily is more suited to face something like Bojo.

Despite what she says, I think that Emily Thornberry will sooner marry Bojo than beat him... meaning: I don't trust her.

I like Rebecca Long Bailey, she has come across well in the few interviews I've seen of her.
That said, Keir Starmer has forgotten more about the legal aspects of Brexit than BOJO has ever known, which has to count for something.

RLB seems to be the best of a sorry lot. But being a Corbyn light she’d be suicidal mad to take the party currently. She’ll be damned whatever she says or does, damned if she doesn’t. Labour is fractioned and the centrists will never shut up, nor should the left. No, it’s time for the real part of Labour to lick the wounds and contemplate. Let a centrist kick the can down the road for another 10-20 years and try to capitalise on the next left momentum swing. Pray for a Bernie win in the US, that could maybe swing opinion sooner? Brits strike a good independent pose but underneath they are notoriously weak to influence of US opinion and government.

Leaving the EU does not have to be all bad for the British. A five-year-into-the-future centrist Labour government could more freely mend a lot of the symptoms of Boris-boys neoliberalism even if they do nothing to cure the disease. The EU is also probably better off with the Brexit black eye. It should hopefully be a lesson that Macrons neolib just-cross-the-street-rhetoric is the wrong way forward.

RLB seems to be the best of a sorry lot. But being a Corbyn light she’d be suicidal mad to take the party currently. She’ll be damned whatever she says or does, damned if she doesn’t. Labour is fractioned and the centrists will never shut up, nor should the left. No, it’s time for the real part of Labour to lick the wounds and contemplate. Let a centrist kick the can down the road for another 10-20 years and try to capitalise on the next left momentum swing. Pray for a Bernie win in the US, that could maybe swing opinion sooner? Brits strike a good independent pose but underneath they are notoriously weak to influence of US opinion and government.

Leaving the EU does not have to be all bad for the British. A five-year-into-the-future centrist Labour government could more freely mend a lot of the symptoms of Boris-boys neoliberalism even if they do nothing to cure the disease. The EU is also probably better off with the Brexit black eye. It should hopefully be a lesson that Macrons neolib just-cross-the-street-rhetoric is the wrong way forward.

It won't be as easy to smear RLB with antisemitism or other false accusations, so she may be ok. That said, I think that Emily has more of a chance to keep the blairites in check. With RLB those may need to be purged.

At any rate, I think it will be a very bad development if the new leader isn't female; about time that the party had a female leader, tbh, and most of the candidates aren't shills.

What makes you think she is harder to smear than Corbyn? Is she not critical about Israeli apartheid as well? Isn’t both her parents Irish, and would that matter? Look at today’s Graun Live. Corbyn sent a new year’s message in line with everything his cabinet said and stood for and the vitriol knows no end. Very few media or supporters have the backbone to stand up for him today. If he had resigned and RLB taken over after the election she’d be doomed already. There is so much built up frustration in the UK. Corbyns Labour had to win - and didn’t. Now it’s best for everyone if he takes as much of the frustration as possible on his shoulders before handing over. It’s still going to be a serious uphill battle for anyone anyway. A more centrist figure would get off easier in the short term but would be holding Labour back long term (imo).

What makes you think she is harder to smear than Corbyn? Is she not critical about Israeli apartheid as well? Isn’t both her parents Irish, and would that matter? Look at today’s Graun Live. Corbyn sent a new year’s message in line with everything his cabinet said and stood for and the vitriol knows no end. Very few media or supporters have the backbone to stand up for him today. If he had resigned and RLB taken over after the election she’d be doomed already. There is so much built up frustration in the UK. Corbyns Labour had to win - and didn’t. Now it’s best for everyone if he takes as much of the frustration as possible on his shoulders before handing over. It’s still going to be a serious uphill battle for anyone anyway. A more centrist figure would get off easier in the short term but would be holding Labour back long term (imo).

I don't think the antisemitism trope will last against another labour leader. But we will see; anything can happen in current Beertan.
I like Emily - not sure if she is centrist, but hopefully she isn't closer to blairism than corbynism. I can see her winning, although her own baggage is that she is part of the aristocracy - iirc married to a peer.

Whoever wins they will be smeared.
Long Bailey is the heir of Corbyn, Starmer and Thornberry are metropolitan Remainer elitists etc.
Right now the press like Phillips, partly because she didn't like Corbyn but mainly because they don't think she can win. If she did win they'd soon find reasons why Labour led by her was bad.
Apart from Cooper none of the likely candidates can be considered Blairite (and even she was aligned more with Brown than Blair).

Jess Phillips is a fine Brummie lass (I would say Northern, but that's my Southern bias kicking in), so if she took over, she couldn't be accused of being part of the metropolitan elite. (I mean, she could, but it would be even more meaningless than it usually is.)

Jess Phillips is a fine Brummie lass (I would say Northern, but that's my Southern bias kicking in), so if she took over, she couldn't be accused of being part of the metropolitan elite. (I mean, she could, but it would be even more meaningless than it usually is.)

No, but they'd probably demand she "prove" her moderate credentials by purging Momentum.
Kinnock purged Militant as the right-wing press wanted but they still found ways to denigrate him afterwards.

Of course the right-wing press will smear the next leader of the Labour party.

But as the voting population moves online, the press's influence declines.

I'd the feeling that'd be so, But as CFAN poll opener, I didn't want to start by mentioning my preference
or belief in the probable outcome, and then have the thread all about others disagreeing with me..

Frankly I prefer Jeremy Corbyn to most of those names put forward so far.

Last edited:
Starmer is a solid choice. No one to the left of him will be able to get anything done without the centrists going on about how Corbyn failed. Corbyns failure was of course a better result than Miliband or Brown but it makes no difference now. Brexit killed Corbyn and the left swing. Better luck next time. Till then, Starmer is a good bet.

Isn't Starmer one of the people who pushed for blocking brexit, thereby helping set Labour on this path?

He is one of the pro-Remain candidates.

Top Bottom