Why bother voting anymore?

Conservative? In what? You did not defined which segment. Economics or socially?!

Okay, let's turn this line of questioning around. If you disagree with the term center-right, how would you describe the politics of the American populace? Certainly you would not say moderate or independent after viewing those polls.

The American populace consists of 300,000,000 people, each of whom has different politics views. To speak about it in monolithic terms as if it is one person with a single set of views is preposterously foolish.

I did prove it... with subjects such as health care. The fact that they can sway a large portion of the public towards rejecting universal health care can only attribute it to propaganda.
Wrong. There are many possible reasons. You must prove that propaganda was the cause.

My example was showing how the media can twist perceptions of reality for a lot of people.
Same answer as last time: I don't care about "can". Prove that they DID. The only cans I care about belong to my woman. :D

Exactly my point. The health care reform that people would have wanted (and would have benefited them the most) was shot down in a useless compromise because of the heavy influence from certain parties.
It was shot down by liberal Democrats--people who would be IMMUNE to Republican propaganda if it actually existed.

The reform that would benefit people the most is reform that reduces the cost of the actual care. The Democrats refuse to address the causes that make health care expensive. (Putting a cap on lawsuits is one way--it should be obvious how a Democrat would respond to that idea.....)

How will your voice be heard, if you do not vote? :confused:

The American populace consists of 300,000,000 people, each of whom has different politics views. To speak about it in monolithic terms as if it is one person with a single set of views is preposterously foolish.

Very true - I visited the US nearly a month ago (New York, San Fran, Oahu and LA), and I have to admit that even though I visited some of the more 'liberal' areas of the country, they still felt very different from each other. I got the distinct impression that the US is more like a bunch of countries masquerading as one country.

What are some words that are not ill-defined?

Not political terms. :lol:

Okay, let's turn this line of questioning around. If you disagree with the term center-right, how would you describe the politics of the American populace? Certainly you would not say moderate or independent after viewing those polls.

It's not as easy as you think. As we have seen, descriptions of peoples' political views are only good for that individual person.

How will your voice be heard, if you do not vote? :confused:
When the total number of votes collected is lower than the last election. When voter participation goes down, that's the entire nation telling the politicians that they all suck. It's also an open pool of potential votes that the politicians start trying to figure out how to acquire.

It's not as easy as you think. As we have seen, descriptions of peoples' political views are only good for that individual person.

Seriously I want an answer. If you have a problem with the predominantly accepted conclusion that America is a center right nation, yet fail to provide any other alternative term, than I can not take your objection seriously, and will have to continue believing what my high school government textbook says in the opening paragraph.

Seriously I want an answer. If you have a problem with the predominantly accepted conclusion that America is a center right nation, yet fail to provide any other alternative term, than I can not take your objection seriously, and will have to continue believing what my high school government textbook says in the opening paragraph.

:lol:

That assumes that there IS a term that can encompass a majority of Americans' political views, correct? In other words, given the diversity of political thought in America, who says there has to be a term?

Not to pick on you in particular, but you bring up a good point. How can one single government ever hope to satisfactorily represent over 300 million different voices, each with their own unique interests?

That is why voting is folly. It is not that the current Republicrat party is corrupt, but that the extreme centralization necessary to govern many millions of people will necessarily become corrupt and disconnected from the people. Voting in such an environment is meaningless, because the very concept of voting, of democracy, is based on decentralization. On forming communities small enough to effectively govern themselves, rather than relying on a bloated, out-of-touch bureaucracy like that of the USA or USSR.

will have to continue believing what my high school government textbook says in the opening paragraph.

Unless you are unaware, those textbooks are horribly out of date :p.

Not to pick on you in particular, but you bring up a good point. How can one single government ever hope to satisfactorily represent over 300 million different voices, each with their own unique interests?

On the contrary, you are agreeing with me. :)

That is why voting is folly. It is not that the current Republicrat party is corrupt, but that the extreme centralization necessary to govern many millions of people will necessarily become corrupt and disconnected from the people. Voting in such an environment is meaningless, because the very concept of voting, of democracy, is based on decentralization. On forming communities small enough to effectively govern themselves, rather than relying on a bloated, out-of-touch bureaucracy like that of the USA or USSR.

This is true iff you believe that every man's opinion ought be represented in national policy.

America is seeking a fiscally conservative / socially liberal party. The two parties as structure makes a voter decide which is more important. And on the bases of the last election fiscally conservative is more important.

Unless you are unaware, those textbooks are horribly out of date :p.

Copyright 2008.

Civgeneral, let's see if you can answer my question. Apparently Mad Viking does not have an answer. How do you explain the polls below?

Any political strategist will tell you that America has always been, and continues to be a conservative, center right nation.

In fact, the percantage of Americans who identify themsleves as conservative has grown since the Obama was elected.

40%, 21% liberal in 2009
42%. 20% liberal in 2010

Top Bottom