Why bother voting anymore?

I would like to see some citations please. America has been a conservative, center-right nation since its founding.

And the Democratic party is to the right of center-right. So what's your point? The Democratic party is further right now than it has been at any time since the 1930s. The populace has mostly drifted left. The Tea Party, on the other hand, is the furthest extremist right party the US has had in the past century.

And the Democratic party is to the right of center-right. So what's your point? The Democratic party is further right now than it has been at any time since the 1930s. The populace has mostly drifted left. The Tea Party, on the other hand, is the furthest extremist right party the US has had in the past century.

I was kinda hoping you (Cutlass) and Tyrant would just start into each other directly as to whether the US is actually left or right of center (however that's actually defined).

:popcorn:

I was kinda hoping you (Cutlass) and Tyrant would just start into each other directly as to whether the US is actually left or right of center (however that's actually defined).

:popcorn:

You want a flame war? :lol:

Most Americans do not want Social Security and Medicare destroyed. Most do not want all welfare and schools privatized. Most do not want all immigration stopped. Most do not want to privatize all government services.

when u reach the point of "Why bother voting anymore" you know its time to go into politics yourself and if u dont stop complaining and if u dont get anywhere then you are thinking wrong.....simple

You want a flame war? :lol:

Most Americans do not want Social Security and Medicare destroyed. Most do not want all welfare and schools privatized. Most do not want all immigration stopped. Most do not want to privatize all government services.

No, red-tagged posts do nothing for me. ;) I'm just saying that because you two are each the most consistent and vehement in your (opposite) claims. I do know I've discussed it with you myself (to no apparent effect), but I'm intrigued by the prospect of watching people argue about whether one plus one is equal to one or three (IMHO).

No, red-tagged posts do nothing for me. ;) I'm just saying that because you two are each the most consistent and vehement in your (opposite) claims. I do know I've discussed it with you myself (to no apparent effect), but I'm intrigued by the prospect of watching people argue about whether one plus one is equal to one or three (IMHO).

Well, I can't always put my arguments into persuasive prose. That doesn't mean I like to let ridiculous opposing points pass unchallenged.

America is known as a center-right nation due to the demographics of its population. A population where twice as many people identify themselves as conservative rather than liberal. A population where those who identify themselves as conservative, outnumber those who identify themselves as moderate. A population where 48% say their views are closer to the Tea Party than Congress

Cite that 48% number. That seems completely off base, given the tea party infusion of 2010

A high percentage of conservative or tea party identification doesn't really surprise me, but that has a lot to do with how branding of political parties works. The GOP did a great job of making "liberal" a dirty word, so voters would be hesitant to call themselves "liberals", even though they would express support for many "liberal" programs.

Voters have pretty contradictory views...they want "small" government, but they also want the government to help pay for college, regulate big business and police the world. They want "lower taxes", but demand for services is still high. Do half of Americans actually espouse what Dick Armey or the Freedomworks believe on policy? You couldn't convince me of that.

..."But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

-Declaration of Independence

Of course we're not quite going towards despotism, but it is amazing how Jefferson could invent a universal ideology that has been so effective.

If a third party is still around when I turn 18, and if I agree with that party's platform, I will vote for it. Too many people are hounded into a two-party system for fear that their vote will count for nothing otherwise.

End: Representation requires candidates voted into power, in a sincere manner. The instant that parties formed, is the instant that representation has obliged people to conform to power, rather than shape the government they rely on. Snowball effect. Mind games. The government will never be effective unless the representatives sincerely embody the minds of the people.

They don't.

Top Bottom