1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do Marxists have a superior grasp on history?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hygro, Feb 22, 2012.

?

Why do Marxists understand history better? Pick just one (sorry!)

1. To justify Marxism, you have to justify historical particulars, leading to understand history

65.0%
  2. Having a good grasp of history leads to an understanding of why Marxism is good

10.0%
  3. Marx, as a Hegelian historian teaches history effectively, so those who study him learn history well

10.0%
  4. Marx provided linguistic categories for history, leading to historians trapped into Marxist thinking

2.5%
  5. I am a Marxist who disagrees with the poll's premise, or has another answer..

12.5%
  1. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Nah, he's probably just implying that the initials 'TF' could not be used to refer to anyone else, as he is wont to believe about the meaning of signs.

2. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Presumptions, presumptions...

3. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Mmm someone is presumptuous :D

4. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

That's utter nonsense. History shows us if you lack a form of economics that can handle crisis, you risk extreme politics that completely usurp freedom. I.E. if you sputter along in a depression and you aren't making any progress, you risk fascism/sovietism. Whereas neoclassical economists will say "depressions are fine, we'll get back on track in the long run" the common people start getting ready to engage in organized violence in hopes to set up a state with a strong interventionist government and therefore command economy. Which is of course a much bigger danger to freedom than deficit spending to stimulate an economy.

Having a leaning in which you think government should stay out of business as much as possible, except to establish contract law, some obvious "don't poison us" regulations, handle externalities, and levy taxes, and that government should stay out of our personal lives, you have libertarian sympathy. Most Americans prefer far greater government intervention in business than the Berkeley economics faculty.

edit: notwithstanding that macro economics as a discipline is a pretty good measurement tool for everything except crisis, ironically, and in understanding it, doesn't preclude a libertarian bent. Unless your definition of a libertarian is someone who is simply wrong.

5. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

I'm kind of annoyed (but completely unsurprised) that my only post on the central matter of the thread has drawn basically zero interest.
    If you were going to define history as "history according to Marxian analysis", you might have a point, but it wouldn't really describe anything.
    Uh, what about the history department?

6. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I just figured that, because it's pretty much indisputable, nobody bothered disputing it. :dunno:

7. Dachs

But a few people have disputed it, at least implicitly.

8. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Then, by all means, crush them just as implicitly.

Glad you got that one. ;)

9. Hygro

No idea. I took one history course in the department. Taught be Leon Litwack. A leftist, but I don't know if he was a Marxist.

10. Tarquelne

Tarquelne Follower of Tytalus

Maybe they're intrinsically crushed.

11. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Ah, okay, nevermind then. :D

12. Ergo Sum

Ergo Sum Prince

I've actually found my local library's collection of history to be pretty unimpressive. Pretty bare-bones surveys of history. I wouldn't be surprised if much of suburbia, or even big urban libraries, are the same way.

P.s. after reading all the poll options multiple times I still can't make heads or tails of them.

13. Tarquelne

Tarquelne Follower of Tytalus

I thought it was common for libraries to be part of inter-library lending networks.

14. Dachs

They do specifically exclude a very large group of people from voting on them at all - namely, the group that is not ideologically Marxist and disagrees that Marxists have a superior grasp on history. But I believe that was by design.

15. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Seeing history as a series of conflicts probably helps. Though it seems obvious there are many people who'd like to see history as a search for stability which is often attained and then unfortunately destroyed. Marxists may hope for some form of future stability, but looking back they seek nothing of that. Even where there is stability there is still conflict, and stability only remains for some time through superior force.

16. Ayatollah So

Ayatollah So the spoof'll set you free

That's most of it, I guess, but the way I would put it is:

This. Imagine that a religious sect - the Reformed Adventist Redeemed Baptists - say that you must eat bacon, but only from certain kinds of pigs. Well, the RARB's would quickly become more knowledgeable on average, on pigs and bacon, than your average Joe. Of course, among expert veterinarians, there might not be any significant difference in pig-knowledge between religions.

I never thought of that, but, duh. It's not just that Marxists have mostly taken a step forward. Most of the rest have taken a step backward.

17. jtb1127

jtb1127 Deity

I had the same problem.

18. Hygro

well in all fairness, Dachs, it was to discourage folk like jtb1127 from voting the downtown option ;)

19. Dachs

Like I said: by design.

20. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton One. And many.

I'd say either, seeing history as a series of conflicts or as a seek for stability, makes you a crappy historian.