Why eating food can be offensive

Goodfella

Showing results for
I read this article on the Washington Post this morning: How it feels when white people shame your culture’s food — then make it trendy

The gist of it is that the Asian-American author feels annoyed if not offended that the same white people who mocked her culture's cuisine in her childhood now consume that cuisine because it's trendy. At the same time, she feels that the way many white people consume Asian cuisine verges on appropriation. White people go to Asian restaurants because they think its exotic (she calls this "discount tourism") and they want to participate in a fad but don't actually care about the cultures the cuisine belongs to.

Do you agree with her? If so, what are some ways we can eat food from other cultures without appropriating and commodifying those cultures? Is what she describes inevitable? Do you think any of this is necessarily bad?

I think she's mostly right but it's a difficult situation. The white people who made fun of her when she was a child didn't realize how good Asian food was. But now in every major American city, young white adults love to eat Asian food. I'm not sure what the situation in Europe or Australia is, but half the time I eat out, I'm either at an Indian, Thai, Chinese, or Middle Eastern/Central Asian restaurant. I even eat sushi now despite historically hating fish.

Another thing is, this seems to have already been happening for ages with every culture that's arrived in America. Think of all the pizza, pasta, tacos, hot dogs, and hamburgers which are now the basis of mainstream American cuisine. It almost seems that with the acceptance of foreign cultures comes the assignment of those culture's cuisines to traditional, fast-food, and fusion forms. We already see this with Panda Express which in all likelihood will soon be as ubiquitous as Taco Bell.

I don't how to feel about all this so discuss.

I would be offended if I were the food. Otherwise I don't get it, myself.

I'd say the OP is somewhat misleading. The article never claims being "offended", which would be quite ridiculous.

I would be offended if I were the food. Otherwise I don't get it, myself.

Kafka once noted in his diary that by accident he was dining in a restaurant that did not have full vegeterian meals, so he had to also order some sardines. He ate the sardines, but looked so miserable that the waiter asked him what had happened. When Kafka told him that he was sad he had to eat the sardines, a once alive animal, the waiter replied that "at least you weren't the one eaten, and the sardines eating you!", which apparently echoed a familiar motif to Kafka so he wrote it down :p

You know culture is a #RealThing when it's an exclusive club. Who cares about what food someone eats? Food is food, some of it tastes quite nice and I'll be damned if there's a genetic or geographic requirement to put something in your mouth.

Kids will tease you over anything, many of them will become what they insulted you for. Crazy to think that life isn't a static construct and things change on a consistent basis.

Americans love food. We love food so much we not only eat our food, but we're adventurous and eat everyone else's food as well.

Don't see what's wrong with multiculturalism. As Synsensa pointed out, culture isn't genetic and can be easily shared. And I think that sharing is for the better.

Beats any other form of ethnic nationalism *cough* banning minarets *cough*

These "Eating food of x culture is appropriation" people don't understand the concept. Furthermore, culture is meant to be shared.

Food is food. As far as I know, it doesn't subscribe to national boundaries or culture.

It's either edible or it isn't.

Having said that, you are what you eat. And at the moment, I'm about 75% bacon sandwich. And a glass of milk.

So that's what that dish we got once in a while back in the Philippines is called. Glad to finally know its moniker, though I'm worried about the potential lack of authenticity if I were to order it in North America.

Anyway,
This cultural appropriation stings because the same dishes hyped as “authentic” on trendy menus were scorned when cooked in the homes of the immigrants who brought them here. Fashionable food from foreign cultures may satisfy a temporary hunger, but if you’re trying it for shallow reasons, you’ll be culturally unfulfilled in the long run.
What the hell does that even mean? You know Ms. Tam, maybe I just want to eat gelato because it's a nice treat on a hot day and not because I need to understand the Italian immigrant experience.

That would actually be Scotland. It is tough to find dishes with American origin.

Frankly, it takes a LOT of convincing to get me to take any argument that mentions "appropriation" seriously. Most of the people I've talked to that talk about cultural appropriation seem to be closet racists, either of the type who think segregation is a pretty excellent thing or, more commonly, the type that are just racist against white people, calling the same activities either "multiculturalism" or "appropriation" based on the skin color of the person doing it.

So long story short, no I don't agree, I'm not going to feel in the least bit guilty for hitting my local Vietnamese restaurant for some pho.

Frankly, it takes a LOT of convincing to get me to take any argument that mentions "appropriation" seriously. Most of the people I've talked to that talk about cultural appropriation seem to be closet racists, either of the type who think segregation is a pretty excellent thing or, more commonly, the type that are just racist against white people, calling the same activities either "multiculturalism" or "appropriation" based on the skin color of the person doing it.

So long story short, no I don't agree, I'm not going to feel in the least bit guilty for hitting my local Vietnamese restaurant for some pho.

I had the same reaction until I read the article

You know whats trendy & annoying, being annoyed by BS & whining about it in clickbait. It pisses me off that I used to get ripped on for wearing velcro shoes & high socks & liking books & computer and now it's "in" to be nerdy but I'm not going to write an article whining about it, "waah, people were mean when I was little, now they think my s***'s cool without really understanding it, poor misunderstood me", funk dat.

Top Bottom