1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is 2001: A Space Odyssey such a highly regarded movie?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dida, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

I've always thought that anyone who saw the movie but had not read the book would have a hard time figuring out the plot. The book fills in the many gaps in the movie, especially given that it was written in parallel with the movie. That said, you're right that Clarke's style (which I rather like) does not lend itself very well to Hollywood.

2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

That's true for pretty much any book to screen adaptation, the exceptions being.. things like Lord of the Rings.

3. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Oh, I'm a huge fan of a lot of Clarke's work. Rendezvous with Rama is still possibly one of my favorite sci-fi books. (A shame about what happened with the rest of the series.) This is kind of what bemuses me about people who claim I don't like sci-fi because I'm not a fan of the 2001 movie.

4. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

That's how I interpreted it too. Never thought of the obelisks as causing humans to evolve until this thread. I thought of it as a warning system and a means to stop humans from going too far - the moon monolith sent a signal aimed at Jupiter that messed HAL up.

But then again I'm not a fan of the movie and didn't give it much thought.

5. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

The apes act would not make sense then, becasue just before finding the obelisk the group is near extintion and only after having contact with it they begin to develop the neccesary tools and weapons to survive for hunting the pecaris and defeating predators and other hostil apes groups. The book confirms all this, but I think that the movie hardly leaves room to any other interpretation, even if you have not read the novel.

6. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Clarke's aliens were clearly the original Reapers.

7. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

In Catalonia there is a tiny town with a 2001 monolith in the graveyard...

8. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Have you read LOTR? So much was missing I don't know how you could say that! The Battle of Bywater, Tom Bombadil, etc. Really, I love the trilogy movie, but it left out so much.
    :lol:

9. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Please don't bring up the Reapers. Too creepy. :shifty:

10. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

His point is that there are no plot holes in the movies that are only explained in the books. Haven't thought it through completely but I'd say you can make that claim for LotR. For example, the plot of LotR makes perfect sense without Tom Bombadil.

11. NetGear

NetGear King

IIRC kubrick had more scenes detailing just what the heck is going on, but he cut them out last min to enhance the mystique feeling of the movie.

12. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

They didn't need to be in the films though - half of the extra scenes in the extended DVD's are for the book fans, and half of the director/writer commentary on the same DVD is explaining why they changed/left scenes out. As long as they kept to the central story - destroying the ring - there's no need to keep any superfluous stuff like Bombadil or Bywater in it.

A film adaptation should not be literal translation of the book, or it's just boring. It's creating a film version of events that happens to be based on the book.

13. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

IMO, one of the major plotholes in the book is also in the movie. Namely, the tentacled lake-beast is completely unexplained.

14. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Random Encounter? Fallen Maia with a grudge?