Why is rape considered ok in our society?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qoou

Emperor
One thing that sickens me most about modern culture is our collective indifference to rape. Very few countries outside the EU, and very few of the US's states, have any kinds of law whatsoever recognizing rape as a crime. The only thing that is a crime is "forceful penetration of a female". If I were to go out today and rape a girl, I'd be put in jail for the rest of my life; if I were to go out and rape a guy, I'd be fined for assault. Sure, some places have better laws, where any kind of "forceful penetration" whatsoever is illegal. That still means men are the only people capable of rape. It means over half of the population cannot be legally charged with rape.

And you know what, it's not just the laws, it's the culture. Male rape is considered funny. There are hundreds of movies out there that have incredibly offensive jokes about male rape, but instead of being offended, people laugh at them. Make a film containing a graphic scene of female rape, and it will be refused a rating, and you will be called a Nazi. Make a film containing a graphic scene of male rape, it will be rated PG, and you'll be called Charlie Chaplin.

Each year there's about twice as many male rapes than female rapes in the US alone. There's likely more than that, due to the immense social stigma with reporting male rape. Yet no one finds this a problem? Come on people! Wake up!

Under the United States code, rape is defined as "[committing] a sexual act upon another person by—
(1) using unlawful force against that other person;
(2) using force causing or likely to cause death or grievous bodily harm to any person;
(3) threatening or placing that other person in fear that any person will be subjected to death, grievous bodily harm, or kidnapping;
(4) first rendering that other person unconscious; or
(5) administering to that other person by force or threat of force, or without the knowledge or consent of that person, a drug, intoxicant, or other similar substance and thereby substantially impairing the ability of that other person to appraise or control conduct"
There may be some especially backward state laws out there, but if it's prosecuted federally it applies to men and women alike.

The cultural stigma associated with male rape is kind of whack though. What would you propose to change it?

Women can be charged with rape, and we're hardly 'ok' with male rape - I'd like to see a source for your claim that there's twice as many male rapes as female in the USA.

Under the United States code, rape is defined as "[committing] a sexual act upon another person by—
(1) using unlawful force against that other person;
(2) using force causing or likely to cause death or grievous bodily harm to any person;
(3) threatening or placing that other person in fear that any person will be subjected to death, grievous bodily harm, or kidnapping;
(4) first rendering that other person unconscious; or
(5) administering to that other person by force or threat of force, or without the knowledge or consent of that person, a drug, intoxicant, or other similar substance and thereby substantially impairing the ability of that other person to appraise or control conduct"
There may be some especially backward state laws out there, but if it's prosecuted federally it applies to men and women alike.

Sadly states have the right to overwrite federal laws, and in this case many of them in fact do. I would also like to see your source for this, as according the 2011 FBI statistics, rape is defined as "forceful penetration."

But anyway, back to the subject of state laws: I have first-hand experience of this. I was in fact a victim of male rape during my stay in prison, and despite the fact that I reported it immediately and that there was plenty of evidence and of witnesses, my case got thrown out of court immediately, with the judge calling it "silly." I have never been more humiliated in my life. Well, maybe except for once, the reason I ended up in prison in the first place, but that's another story.

The cultural stigma associated with male rape is kind of whack though. What would you propose to change it?

Look at what the gays are doing. Spamming rallies everywhere, clogging up streets, annoying people with their sinful message, their promiscuity, and their gaudy colors. If such an immoral sect of people can convince our government to protect their unnatural lifestyle, I don't see how a rightful message like this can fail to get across.

Women can be charged with rape

They cannot in many states. Look at the actual state laws. I am quite certain they cannot be charged in my state, though thankfully my prison was gender-divided and I was not forced to come against that law first-hand.

and we're hardly 'ok' with male rape - I'd like to see a source for your claim that there's twice as many male rapes as female in the USA.

A quick google search came up with the 2001 Human Rights Watch report, the numbers being slightly less than twice as many. The most recent Human Rights Watch report however has seen the number of male rapes climb significantly.

I think the fact that people make a page like that and are so many of them are outraged to some degree when they see it in film indicates that for the most part we're not 'ok' with it. In the same way, the fact that you get racist jokes online doesn't mean we're 'ok' with racial discrimination.

Hm. I shall have to consider this line of thought.

BTW, I am most definitely not okay with female-on-male rape. Just to make sure everyone knows.

A quick google search came up with the 2001 Human Rights Watch report, the numbers being slightly less than twice as many. The most recent Human Rights Watch report however has seen the number of male rapes climb significantly.

Your statistic is not even self-consistant.

There are probably more men than women raped in the United States every year—most of them in prison. Best estimates put the annual number of prison rapes at about 140,000, which is 50,000 more than the 90,000 or so rapes of women reported to police

Your stat is estimating the unreported rapes in prison while ignoring the unreported rapes of women outside of prison. That's some horribly shoddy methodology.

As for your general premise, I would care more about your "men are victims in society today!" trope if women were actually equal to men in society. Not even in the most liberal of western democracies (Scandinavia) is this true.

As for your general premise, I would care more about your "men are victims in society today!" trope if women were actually equal to men in society. Not even in the most liberal of western democracies (Scandinavia) is this true.

Ah, yes, the old "can't complain about X because Y is worse" argument.

Ah, yes, the old "can't complain about X because Y is worse" argument.

No, it's more of a reaction to men who perceive society is unfairly set up against them. In stead of coddling such people, I react with a barrage of scorn; except in the case of child custody, and maybe the draft, it's simply not true.

It's rather like when whites complain about affirmative action. Is it a flawed idea? Perhaps. But to then say, "society is stacked against whites, just look at affirmative action!" is such a ludicrous statement that I am not going to take the time to be respectful towards you.

But I never said that society is stacked against men. I believe the opposite, in fact. HOWEVER, female-on-male and male-on-male rape is still wrong and we should combat it.

I think the fact that people make a page like that and are so many of them are outraged to some degree when they see it in film indicates that for the most part we're not 'ok' with it. In the same way, the fact that you get racist jokes online doesn't mean we're 'ok' with racial discrimination.

There are hundred of webpages supporting the godless cult of the homosexuals. That does not mean that most of society is ok with them.

And just to be clear, I'm not accusing the LGBT community of being a cult, as that would likely be labeled as a "hate crime". But you have to admit, they have many of the characteristics of a cult. Fierce indoctrination, intimidation of those who try to leave the community, etc. Gay people openly teach each other to hate the Bible and its lessons.

I mean, I'm a Christian; I absolutely don't hate the people who choose to practice this kind of sinful lifestyle (though I have no doubt they're going straight to hell). But I disagree with the organizations on an extremely strong level.

Moderator Action: These comments are hateful and constitute 'inappropriate content'. Those rules fully apply in this forum.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Your statistic is not even self-consistant.

Can you find me a better statistics? And like I said, the 2010 report has much scarier numbers; this statistic is a decade out of date.

How are women inferior to men in society? They have the right to vote, the right to work outside the home, the right to serve in the military, even the right to hold public office. I'm not going to mention some of the clear faults of the justice system that give women automatic wins in many court cases, because after all this thread is not about the question of the equality of men and women, but rather about a specific, grievous, flaw of our laws and society.

Rape is not considered OK in our society. You just got an incompetent judge.

Regardless, you have my sympathies.

There are hundred of webpages supporting the godless cult of the homosexuals. That does not mean that most of society is ok with them.

The vast majority of society, except for people living in the Stone Age (and even then several Stone Agers are probably going to shout at me for tarring them with that brush), is OK with people of different sexual orientations.

And just to be clear, I'm not accusing the LGBT community of being a cult, as that would likely be labeled as a "hate crime". But you have to admit, they have many of the characteristics of a cult. Fierce indoctrination, intimidation of those who try to leave the community, etc. Gay people openly teach each other to hate the Bible and its lessons.

...what.

Can you find me a better statistics? And like I said, the 2011 report has much scarier numbers; this statistic is a decade out of date.

You're the OP. The onus is on you. I would point out though that you've made a claim and you have absolutely no credible basis for them.

How are women inferior to men in society? They have the right to vote, the right to work outside the home, the right to serve in the military, even the right to hold public office. I'm not going to mention some of the clear faults of the justice system that give women automatic wins in many court cases, because after all this thread is not about the question of the equality of men and women, but rather about a specific, grievous, flaw of our laws and society.

Woah, even the right to hold public office??! You know how to go out on a limb here!

I would counter by the number of women actually in political office. Pay inequalities. I'd go on but I get the feeling you're really just upset that the world isn't working for you, and you're blaming the fact that you're a guy rather than the fact that you're you.

this is the lunacy i come here for.

I mean, I'm a Christian; I absolutely don't hate the people who choose to practice this kind of sinful lifestyle (though I have no doubt they're going straight to hell). But I disagree with the organizations on an extremely strong level.

What the hell are you talking about

LGBTers are no way akin to a cult

The vast majority of society, except for people living in the Stone Age (and even then several Stone Agers are probably going to shout at me for tarring them with that brush), is OK with people of different sexual orientations.

I'm not sure where you live, but from my experience most people find these deviant lifestyles repulsive. It's not like I haven't traveled any either; I find that to be the case wherever I go.

What the hell are you talking about

LGBTers are no way akin to a cult

I think my points that you quoted speak for themselves. But ok, I can certainly concede that a minority of the population doesn't have a problem with homosexuality. Let's leave it at that and move on though, because that's not at all what this thread is about.

You're the OP. The onus is on you. I would point out though that you've made a claim and you have absolutely no credible basis for them.

I provided a source, you're the one who called it biased without providing any better source. And I've also mentioned the 2011 report; I can't find it online, but it should be readily available in the journals section of your local university's library.

Woah, even the right to hold public office??! You know how to go out on a limb here!

I would counter by the number of women actually in political office. Pay inequalities. I'd go on but I get the feeling you're really just upset that the world isn't working for you, and you're blaming the fact that you're a guy rather than the fact that you're you.

I don't understand why you're attacking me. Yes, women have the right to hold public office, a right they were denied until just recently. I have no problem with women, I have a problem with this specific issue I brought up. I know plenty of women who support me on this, on top of my girlfriend of course.

Rape isn't considered okay in any western society I'm aware of.

Look into your local laws. You'll be surprised. You never think anything like this could be true, until it happens to you and there's nowhere to turn to.

you only say that because you havent seen the light. and are probably gay.

Please keep this out of my thread D:. It's perfectly fine to verbally disagree with policies, organization, lifestyle choices, etc, but flaming individuals is not the Christian way to do things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom