[RD] Will Trump be one of a kind in US politics?

Local-level doesn't count (you can find all kinds of crazies there depending on the community), but anything statewide and federal.

He isn't presidential in any conventional sense. Will future candidates (particularly from the GOP) copy Trump's style? Or shy away from it?

I hope they copy his style of stupidity and ignorance. The Republicans need to lemming themselves off a cliff ASAP. Otherwise America will never progress.

The worst would be combination of Trump's style and an actual competent politician.

There have been 2 Clintons, 2-3 Bush, a string of Kennedy's too -

political dynasties are somewhat of a feature in the US, I suspect there will be Trumps to follow...

The Clintons aren't a dynasty. If they grew up nowadays, Hillary would never had to have stood back behind Bill. That's a question gender equality.

When you draw a line from the 19th century, you see that the amount of rules and norms there are in public life decreases all the time. How long til we have a (male) President without a tie for example? And that loosening of norms extends from fashion into the serious and brings with it that also people that aren't conforming can make a career, which is a good thing. Trump is a bad example since, besides being non-conforming, he also has a psychological disorder that his wealth shielded him from.

So will we get bigger personalities in the white house? Yes. Will we get right wing populists? I don't think so, not in the next few years for sure. The (republican) opponents learned enough from Trump. You can't repeat a political trick twice. In the long run though - if you think the US will exist for another few hundred years -, yeah, probably!

I hope they copy his style of stupidity and ignorance. The Republicans need to lemming themselves off a cliff ASAP. Otherwise America will never progress.

The worst would be combination of Trump's style and an actual competent politician.

A more competent and articulate Trump sure.

One just as offensive but more targeted perhaps.

I thik that Donald Trump was very much a one off.
That's my view as well (except I think it). I've argued the point before. He has a unique combination of traits, and no one is going to manage that same combination. Most inimitably, he's endearingly stupid; that is to say, stupid people don't feel condescended to by him. Second is is utter disregard for the truth. Most politicians can lie, but very few people of any sort can lie as unreservedly as Trump. It mattered also to his campaign that he had preexisting nationwide celebrity; true of relatively few people. And that he had enough money to self-fund until his fanboys got on board--because had he been reliant on monied donors, they would have bailed with the "Mexicans are rapists" opening.

There's just never going to be anyone with all four of those traits, and it is all four collectively that made Trump succeed.

I actually think his lasting impact will be to make things hard for Republicans. His fanboy voters will want another Trump. The R party won't be able to provide one, for the reasons detailed above. And they'll drift back out of interest in politics.

Another of his lasting impacts, some Rs will have taken note of and will put to use: his illustration that you can break norms without consequence.

Last edited:
He isn't presidential in any conventional sense. Will future candidates (particularly from the GOP) copy Trump's style? Or shy away from it?

Trump created a cult of personality around his persona, hate, and idiocy. Who else could the Republicans use to re-create these sort of dynamics? They don't have any career politicians to fit the bill, they'd have to find somebody from a reality TV show again or something. But the rub is that this person would already need to have a sizeable following, like Trump did when he became president.. This person would need to be able to lead the idiots the same way Trump did, and how many current reality TV show stars could do this? I don't watch any of that junk, but I doubt there's anyone like that out there really that would appeal to right-wing voters to nearly the same extent as Trump ever did.

The only sort of person I can think of who could work here is a WWE wrestler. That's the only way we'd get another 4 years of circus-like idiocy in the white house.

Trump is already taking his crazy followers and leading them to a cliff to jump off and abandon the Fox News and in the end probably the Republican party as well. Is this what the Republicans want happening every 4 years? I doubt it. They simply found themselves in a position they can't figure out a way out of. For now they have to support the idiot in charge because he has them by the balls. i.e. he controls a decent chunk of their voters.

Will the Republicans realize that this sort of cult of personality will just never really work out for them, unless they manage to flip the country and turn it into a dictatorship? I doubt it, they have a 4 year long attention span and get distracted by shiny objects that can easily sway their opinions. As more of the country becomes progressive over time they will turn to more and more sinister schemes to attempt to end up in a situation where the are able to win elections. Look at all the voter disenfranchisement they are responsible for these days. What else can they do? They don't have solutions to offer to Americans, they can only say: "Vote for us, we are not liberals, and we hate them like you"

It will probably be more clear what happens to the Republican party and what sort of future they might have after the moron is chased out of the white house in January. Trump will take his followers and lead them to wherever, and that will probably impact a lot.

Local-level doesn't count (you can find all kinds of crazies there depending on the community), but anything statewide and federal. He isn't presidential in any conventional sense. Will future candidates (particularly from the GOP) copy Trump's style? Or shy away from it?
He was presidential in most practical senses. He did a very good job running the country. It was only his persona that was out of norm, but it was extremely far out.

I hope they copy his style of stupidity and ignorance. The Republicans need to lemming themselves off a cliff ASAP. Otherwise America will never progress. The worst would be combination of Trump's style and an actual competent politician.
Trump was a competent politician and he had a very competent administration. Just look past the mannerisms to the policy and the results.

A more competent and articulate Trump sure. One just as offensive but more targeted perhaps.
Few will ever have Trump's ability to talk past his opponents. Most of what he said was ignored by MSM and Democrats, but his people understood.

I thik that Donald Trump was very much a one off.
With this I have complete and unqualified agreement.

That said, there will be another candidate appealing to the same base. They were here long before Trump came down the escalator.

J

He also lost reelection based on how he talks.

I've said multiple times you can't beer to far left a d expect to win.

Also can't go to far right either.

You can't reliably win with 40% support.

trump gets fed up , Trump anoints a replacement , and you Americans are so doomed .

You all keep looking to the right for a populist leader like Trump. I would suspect the next one might come from the left: Oprah anyone? Or someone like her. If Oprah ran, I'm pretty sure she could win.

Well: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/10/election-trust-polling-study-republicans
Basically the title is the conclusion: 70% of Republicans say election wasn't 'free and fair' despite no evidence of fraud – study
So they lead with a lie. Not a good start.

So... The US is far away from fighting off the disinformation campaigns and cultural demolition of democratic practices. As such, I can see another charismatic populist growing from these grounds.
That there was no fraud is a big story in the disinformation campaign. At the least there are thousands of affidavits alleging fraud and statistical anomalies. Whether it was provable or sufficient to affect the outcome are different questions.

You all keep looking to the right for a populist leader like Trump. I would suspect the next one might come from the left: Oprah anyone? Or someone like her. If Oprah ran, I'm pretty sure she could win.
Trump was never a populist. He is much too business oriented.

J

And has never been, you know, popular!

It's less an uncouth politician from outside the beltway about which we should attentive, but a competent authoritarian. Trump's presidency has demonstrated, and continues to demonstrate, that much of the electorate is willing to elect a populist authoritarian who sees punishment of minorities as a key plank.

So they lead with a lie. Not a good start.

That there was no fraud is a big story in the disinformation campaign. At the least there are thousands of affidavits alleging fraud and statistical anomalies. Whether it was provable or sufficient to affect the outcome are different questions.

Trump was never a populist. He is much too business oriented.

J
Cool.

Aid.

EDIT
Ok, I know that was snarky and probably unreasonable.

So I'll be more on your page from now on.

I definitely think the Illuminati rigged the election. So I'm on your side now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom