[RD] Will Trump be prosecuted for his crimes? (both criminal and civil)

And if the prosecution takes place, I suppose CFC can continue using this thread to discuss it, to keep things simple.

Obviously Trump has committed countless crimes while in office, both civil and criminal. Do you think he will actually be charged and tried in court for it? Will Bidden be a five letter word for cat and issue him a pardon? Obviously I want him prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, but I'm not sure what will happen.

What do you all think?

Aside from tax issues that are on the docket. Nothing's going to happen to Trump.

I hoping for jail time for him and his kids in NY. Leona Helms Helms did time. Didn't Martha Stewart do some too? Kushner's dad also. It's Trump time in the slammer.

Yes, he'll be prosecuted. And successfully. I don't think he'll do time.

Regardless of how much I think he may be guilty and deserves to be there.....a former president sitting in a jail cell....would be a terrible image and I don't think it will help 'heal the nation' (similar reasoning for Nixon given a pardon).

Jail time on federal charges? Nope. Pardon from Biden if necessary.

State charges? More Possible. I see fines and probation, not prison time.

I disagree with Trump facing jail time being bad for the nation.

I disagree with Trump facing jail time being bad for the nation.
All I know if you convict Trump and throw him into jail. You're going to have a bunch of angry Trump supporters.

We already have that now.

The guy Sharpied Utah on a map because he didn't understand spaghetti plots, there's no amount that his supporters won't tolerate.

I'm also of the opinion that nothing will happen in the end. His ability to defend himself is too strong and the cases against him are too weak. Impeachment is entirely a political question and I'm not (R) enough to know what they'll do. His was impeachable on emoluments, so it's mostly a question of what Republicans are in their best interest. With Trump's support so high, I expect more standard-bearers than inquisitors.

jury trial will be impossible unless they can remove everyone who ever supported Trump - and not just by asking them questions and relying on them to be honest. They'd have to do a background check.

War criminals gonna prosecute Trump? Not a good look...

4 dead is a tragedy, 400,000 dead is just a statistic
Trump will never face justice, but hes cronies and underlings are going to face the blunt of criminal investigations into tax and bank fraud. Iam sure Trump will be back stealing from Children cancers charity soon enough,

War criminals gonna prosecute Trump? Not a good look...

Biden is a war criminal? Partially true at best. It's also worth noting that the Obama administration did not pardon the black water war criminals who committed atrocities against Iraqi civilians. Even GWB didn't pardon them. Trump did.

Also the relaxed operational guidelines for Drone strikes regarding civilian casualties and just the threat of bombing cultural sites in Iran makes Trump a war criminal too.

But that isn't the thing to prosecute him for. Rather, he will get nailed with regards to tax evasion which then results in the publication of his tax records. It is to hope that that will ruin him financially (nobody wants to do business with him anymore) and in the public eye. Then, jail time isn't even needed anymore. As that would make him a martyr. And just fading from importance is a punishment on its own.

I am coming to the conclusion that the only major crime Donald Trump may be demonstrably guilty
of is his refusal to accept his election defeat, as demonstrated by inflamnatory rhetoric and wasting
court time with spurous law suits; and that is best dealt with via the impeachment by the senate.

Sure, he should be in jail. I am wholeheartedly againt capital punishment though and am kinda apalled that you can even suggest that. It‘s time to retire this one for good.

So, what are the crimes that are floated? Tax evasion sure. Then there‘s corruption, i.e. the whole emoluments clause. To be divided into financial self-benefits and other non-financial ones. Also things he did for his cronies. But who would be the party going to court on that? These cases seem indefinitely more complex than the tax evasion ones. Then there‘s the war crimes - but those seem to be a nonstarter since the US isn‘t part of the International Criminal Court. Election Fraud and getting other people do to stuff for him seems to be another type. Is there any other type of case potentially being prosecuted?

(So: tax evasion, corruption in a broad sense, war crimes, election fraud, ?)

The only thing anyone cares about is keeping Trump from running again, hence Schumer insisting on a trial.

J
That is certainly true for less radical republicans and democrats, but each for different reasons.

Top Bottom