Wisconsin supreme court upholds anti-union law

Archbob

Ancient CFC Guardian
"American law continues to hate workers."

Colour me surprised.

Oh well, at least I can take comfort in knowing that the petition to get the SB5 repeal on the ballot is moving along smoothly. Last I checked it had 210,000 of the 234,000 required signatures.

For those who don't know, SB5 is basically the Ohio version of the public union legislation except it does not leave out police and firefighters.

Not surprising. The courts are usually in the hands of those with money and power. Slavery and segregation are two fine institutions the courts used to uphold. :rolleyes:

How does this benefit the people of Wisconsin?

This isn't a huge surprise...the law wasn't in courts because the action against workers was illegal per se, only that the passing of the law violated public records laws. Even if the court had struck the bill down, Walker and Company could have gotten it repassed, just with a lot more mess. The real losers here are Wisconsin residents who believe in open government.

It's their own grave they're digging. The smart political money is on the Dems taking back the Wisconsin House right now via recall elections, and I wouldn't be surprised if Walker doesn't get to finish his term.

1. The government employee unions will no longer be able to force unsustainable wage/benefit concessions from the state & local governments.

2. The state will no longer be required to collect union dues from government employees, as "just another deduction" along with F.I.C.A., Social Security and Medicare deductions.

3. The "people of Wisconsin" who are unemployed or barely employed will no longer be forced to support a bloated public sector with too many mandated employees being paid too much money.

Of course I don't claim to be an expert on Wisconsin; just spouting off what I've learned by listening to CNN and Fox News.

Of course I don't claim to be an expert on Wisconsin; just spouting off what I've learned by listening to CNN and Fox News.

That's very telling.

Moderator Action: Needless personal comment. Trolling. If you're just wanting to comment on the media, there's no need to post in a way that flames the poster as well.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Yeah, useless, so tell us where you get your information, and where you got your education (if any).:rolleyes:

Oh hoh bro, I'm not an American, so i try to look at this objectively. From what I can see, the unions are being made out to be the boogey man, an excuse for Republicans to cut stuff and screw over workers.

Most importantly, this makes it easier for the state legislature to pass bills before the people of the state get a chance to attend or react. What was going to happen to the Unions was going to happen either way.

1. The government employee unions will no longer be able to force unsustainable wage/benefit concessions from the state & local governments.

2. The state will no longer be required to collect union dues from government employees, as "just another deduction" along with F.I.C.A., Social Security and Medicare deductions.

3. The "people of Wisconsin" who are unemployed or barely employed will no longer be forced to support a bloated public sector with too many mandated employees being paid too much money.

1. They never could. Unions have never had that kind of power.

2. And so?

3. And so the employed people of Wisconsin will make less money and so be less able to pay taxes.

Yeah, useless, so tell us where you get your information, and where you got your education (if any).:rolleyes:

The American media is even more virulently anti-organised labour than that of places like the UK or Australia. And that's saying something.

Also this:

Link to video.

I doubt the recalls will be enough to give the democrats majority in Senate and without a majority in the house, they can't repeal the bill anyways.

They need to gain 3 seats, I think at most the recall elections will give them 2. The dems themselves have 3 seats up for recall.

Top Bottom