Would like to find a belief (philosophical)

GoldEagle

Deity of All Drummers
So, I would like to find some type of philosophical, non-religious belief. It should be closely related to Humanism,but I do not like the pro-abortion aspect of Humanist associations, such as the IHEU. I am a strong Agnostic, but pro-Gay Marriage, if that helps in the slightest. I like the belief of respecting others and don't like to injure, hurt, kill, etc anything.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Organizations promoting such beliefs would be even better. :)

Thanks,
GE

My code of morals and beilefs is unique. I cant find one philosophy that it conforms too.

Same thing with most reasonable voters. Nobody is for everything that the republican party or democrat party represents so why be either?

Well, if your only quibble with humanism is abortion, (which I think could be argued from humanist principles) I think it would be best to still join.

But I think a more important question is why do you need to draw on a single philosophical "-ism"? I just incorperate different elements of philosophy as I see fit.

Yeah, I would just like to belong to a group that shares my own philosophy, whether in a forum or in real life (though the latter would be extremely tough, seeing that my parents don't know that I'm Agnostic)

Try Buddhism. It's kinda all purpose.

Yeah, I would just like to belong to a group that shares my own philosophy, whether in a forum or in real life (though the latter would be extremely tough, seeing that my parents don't know that I'm Agnostic)

Tell your parents your agnostic. I dont see anyone taking offense to agnostics like some would to athiests.

Well there's the Brights. It's pretty wide open.

So, I would like to find some type of philosophical, non-religious belief. It should be closely related to Humanism,but I do not like the pro-abortion aspect of Humanist associations, such as the IHEU. I am a strong Agnostic, but pro-Gay Marriage, if that helps in the slightest. I like the belief of respecting others and don't like to injure, hurt, kill, etc anything.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Organizations promoting such beliefs would be even better. :)

Thanks,
GE

You found it.. It's your own. Why do you need a group of people who believe the same thing and have a fancy name for it?

Tell your parents your agnostic. I dont see anyone taking offense to agnostics like some would to athiests.
Besides the fact that I'm going to burn in Hell for all eternity for rejecting Jesus Christ? I don't think so. Don't feel like getting disowned until I'm out of the house. My parents are die-hard.

I see no real need to get together with a bunch of people that share my views. What can you learn from people that just mirror your thoughts? Differences are much more interesting than similarities, in my opinion.

Besides the fact that I'm going to burn in Hell for all eternity for rejecting Jesus Christ? I don't think so. Don't feel like getting disowned until I'm out of the house. My parents are die-hard.

Wow thats tough. I kind of wish i was in your situation though. It would be fun making fools out them for thier intolerence.

Wow thats tough. I kind of wish i was in your situation though. It would be fun making fools out them for thier intolerence.
Umm, Xanik, they're your parents. You don't want that kind of relationship with them.

I thought Buddhists believe in Reincarnation? Or am I just showing my total stupidity/arrogance?

It does, but so what? In the context of Buddhism, reincarnation is just another element of how the universe works--like gravity and molecular interaction. You do the best you can to work around it when necessary and get on with your life.

Umm, Xanik, they're your parents. You don't want that kind of relationship with them.
Yes. And I love 'em with all my heart. They probably would not like me, and most likely lose love for me, and try to get me spiritually healed. :rolleyes:

But this is another discussion, for another thread. :)

I guess i dont understand then. My parents are some of the most tolerent people on the planet.

Let me tell you a story.

My moms parents were so tolerent that even in the 50s and 60s if my mom used the n-word or didnt treat blacks with the utmost respect even more so then themselves they would get a spanking! :crazyeye:

I mean the 50s and 60s? Everyone used the n-word against blacks then...

It does, but so what? In the context of Buddhism, reincarnation is just another element of how the universe works--like gravity and molecular interaction.
Except that reincarnation has no scientific evidence....

Yes. And I love 'em with all my heart. They probably would not like me, and most likely lose love for me, and try to get me spiritually healed. :rolleyes:
I'm skeptical to that notion. It might result in a certain amount of irritating conflict (and attempts at spiritual healing), but I'd doubt they'd stop liking/loving you. You can always try questioning smaller things like an aspect of religion or a moral political belief to test out how your parents react.

Except that reincarnation has no scientific evidence....
It doesn't matter. Buddhism is not based in science. To a buddhist reincarnation functions in the universe just like it was scientifically valid. It is part of the order of things just like "desire" is the root of all suffering and pain. That is not scientifically proven either, yet it is at the very basis of Buddhism.

It doesn't matter. Buddhism is not based in science. To a buddhist reincarnation functions in the universe just like it was scientifically valid. It is part of the order of things just like "desire" is the root of all suffering and pain. That is not scientifically proven either, yet it is at the very basis of Buddhism.
The requirements of belief force it to not be "all purpose" as you suggest.

Top Bottom