YnAMP - Development thread Civ6

A compilation of maps and script with culturally linked start location or TSL

1. duchovka

duchovka Chieftain

Hi, I am having some problems with the Play Europe Again map.
    As soon as I try to play with more than six civilizations, the TSL get mixed up. The locations are correct, but not for the civilizations at that place.
    After some trials, it seems that there are some patterns, e.g. Rome is usually in Arabia, unless I don't include Arabia, then it's in Norway. And so on...

Is this a known problem? If not, can I help with finding the cause? Or did I just miss a setting?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I went back to Alpha 0.10 and everything works as expected. So something changed between 0.10 and 0.12 that caused this. I *really* like the automatic naming, so I am offering every help to figure this out.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  2. _Impreza1_

_Impreza1_ Chieftain

Has anyone thought about changing the units you start with, depending on the civ? For example, would it be more beneficial beneficial to allocate a Naval unit to island nations instead of a warrior?

3. davbenbak

davbenbak Lackey

I'm unable to improve bonus features on flood plains while playing the Giant Earth Map. Is anyone else having this problem? Am I missing something?

4. Kerithlan

Kerithlan Chieftain

That would be a bit of a loss for most civs except for Norway, as they wouldn't be able to enter tribal villages early on (when they still exist in clustered areas, like Europe).

5. _Impreza1_

_Impreza1_ Chieftain

This would just be for the island nations, such as England and Japan on giant earth. Exploring does little good when just a small island, which sometimes has no huts.

6. SlightlyMad

SlightlyMad Prince

The warrior may still be needed to fight off barbs.

7. Prion

Prion Chieftain

Congratulation, great job on the maps!

But, I think it should have an option for slow down scientific and civic progress. At Emperor difficult (12 civs/Giant or Greatest Earth Map/Scarce Resources), AI and, sometimes, me are using airplanes in 14th or 15th century.

Moreover, since Update 9, the "slow turn on barbarians" issue got worst. Is this happen with someone? I cannnot end a game since Update 9, because the game crashes often at barbarian turns, even at the early game.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  8. Corto Maltese

Corto Maltese Chieftain

Beautiful, really Nice map, and it is so cool that city names are generated historically.

I am interested if anyone have tried to optimize their system for this. I am using a 3 screen setup With an Asus Z87 motherboard, GPU is XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB GDDR5, Intel Core i5-4670K, and Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL9.

I am currently using only the XFX for the screens but will usign the Integrated graphic card on the z87 improve performance? It has 1gb of vram.

Sometimes it takes e.g. 5- 10 min to load a round.

9. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

Look for the Map.xml files in each of the maps folder in "..\Documents\my games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\Yet (not) Another Maps Pack\Maps\"

I can't reproduce it, what's the exact setting/rules you're using ?

Could you post your lua.log after starting a game with the TSL not working as intended ?

TIA

I need to add a check for resource placement when importing resources, some were valid in civ5 but no more in civ6.

davbenbak likes this.
  10. Leodim

Leodim Chieftain

Hi Gedemon,

Since I lost internet for a few days, I started coding a bit and made a map-reducer for Ynaemp, since I found maps a bit too large.
    It does
    - take a map, a TSL file and a coeff for X and another for Y as input (tested it on GiantEarth with 0.7 and 0.7 = 49% of original superficy, or cells quantity)
    - reduce the map obviously (tried different options about what to prioritize in case of equality, none if perfect ofc)
    - reduce various stuff accordingly (wonders, Nile, etc)
    - merge rivers (so there might be a bit too many) to keep them coherent,
    - dont merge cliffs (so there are kind of as many relatively)
    - keep landmass and watermass which are connected/unconnected!! That was the HARDEST part, it seems to work 95% of the time, and it prevents, for example, having north/south america unconnected or France/England connected.
    - keep coasts as coasts (an ocean cell cannot be neighbor to land)
    - reduce TSL so they are well placed

Of course, it still need a few editing here and there afterwards, note that the example provided is what is output AS IS (so all can see the various small issues, like north italy being too narrow, etc.). I'm pretty confident that it still makes you create a nice and polished version of smaller maps 99% faster :D

Right now to test it, rename GiantEarth.lua.txt to GiantEarth.lua (civfanatics forum doesnt allow .lua uploads), then simply backup then replace GiantEarth.lua and Map.xml in Mods\Yet (not) Another Maps Pack\Maps\GiantEarth\

What do you think? I shall post the exe file (and maybe sources when it's cleaned) a bit later.

The cool thing is that it should work on any map (greatestearth, whatever), and at any resize <1.0 as long as it's not TOO small (tried 0.5x0.5 = 25% of superficy and it still was somewhat ok)

Hope you guys like it

EDIT : I'm kind of too lazy to look at how to add a new map to ynaemp (instead of overwriting an existing one), so if you can point the steps on how to do this, I would be grateful :)

If someone wonder how to edit the map (worldbuilder), you can and the answer "how to" is already posted on those forum (but forgot where^^)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  11. Leodim

Leodim Chieftain

Btw, rule I made to keep land/water connection and separation (sorry for bad english, I'm french and this is somewhat technical) :
    Detect if there was a 1cell-wide connection of land or water there (ie panama, english channel, etc), to do so:
    - for each new cell, look at the original cells in what I called "zone of interest to look at", which is the zone from where cells are merged, ceiled (ie when rounding doesn't fit, keep border ones)
    - for each original cells in said zone, get the neighbors (6 neighbors unless you are at map top/bottom border ofc)
    - for each neighbors 2 by 2, if themselves are not neighbors, have both same land/sea as cell center and you cannot go from one to another without going through center being in same land/sea then it's a 1cell wide connection, and the new cell MUST be of same land/sea than this center.
    Results are good and only change like 1% of cells of reduced map (didnt count, but really not many).

Example, this is a Land (X) connection of 1cell-wide (water is O) :
    X0
    XX0
    0X
    because you cant go from top left to bottom right without crossing water and without going through center.
    Note that water and land are interchangeable, same rule applies if opposite.

And this is not a 1cell-wide connection:
    0XX
    XX
    etc.

Havent found bad cases so I guess my rules fit. Anyone is finding a counter-example?

12. Leodim

Leodim Chieftain

Sorry cant find how to add screenshots using edit, here are 2, just as how it was generated (no manual correction). Size is 0.7x0.7 original = 49% of cells original quantity
    You can see that water/land connection are good (england, panama), but some minor polish is needed (north Italy very narrow, etc.)
    So you can check quality without trying the map I uploaded
    EDIT : 1) I just noticed there are bad rivers in Europe and I'm pretty sure I checked that earlier so it might be a bug with some latest changes, sorry. Should look into this.
    2) TSL are not shown in screenshots, but they do work and seems well placed (tested it ig with "reveal all")

GiantEarth_07_panama.jpg GiantEarth_07_westeurope.jpg

13. Gedemon

Thanks, looks more polished than the crude upscaling I've used to make the Largest Earth (I've placed all rivers manually...)

This will surely be of interest for a lot of people, as smaller maps were requested but no one provided one with a TSL file.

I'm posting an update very soon, but for the one after I'll try to regroup all files related to map configuration into each map's folder, and if possible I'll add a small independent mod (and related tutorial) to show how to add a new map for YnAMP without editing anything in the base mod...

14. Gedemon

Gedemon updated YnAMP - Yet (not) Another Maps Pack for Civ6 with a new update entry:

Alpha .13

• add option on all map scripts (including scripts from external mod as long as AssignStartignPlot.Lua is not overridden) to prevent placement of ice adjacent to land, this should allow circumnavigation in most cases.
    • add check to try to prevent duplicate names for city renaming
    • added brick623 city map for Russia (central) on Play Europe Again
    • added tomaltachpaulson addition of Roman names for France and Britain on Play Europe Again
    • added brick623 city map for Russia (east) + Arctic on Play Europe Again
    • added tomaltachpaulson Continental Europe Roman Names on Play Europe Again
    See screenshot for new ice placement:
    Clipboard-19.jpg Clipboard-20.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  15. duchovka

duchovka Chieftain

Ok. First, I installed version 0.13. Then I used the advanced settings screen to just alter the map to Play Europe Again, then added AI Players until I hit the max (10), then chanced them to the desired European leaders:

Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-11 um 08.54.16.png

Trajan appeared in Russia as usual, I confirmed this by revealing the map via the console:

Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-11 um 09.02.41.png

I hope you find the answer in the attached Lua.log. The only thing that looks somewhat suspicious to my eye are the changes after recalculation the distances for the civs. After that, they seem to be in an different place with different distances to each other. Could that be the problem?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

16. Corto Maltese

Corto Maltese Chieftain

Memory clock frequence seem the bottleneck for my system.

I managed to lower the somewhat long loading time by increasing the clock frequence from 1333 to 1600 Mhz on the 16 GB memory bank.

17. 10KEyeCandy

10KEyeCandy Chieftain

Hi! @Gedemon
    I've downloaded the newest alpha .13 and found that the Simplified Chinese(zh_Hans_CN) translation isn't up to date.
    So I made an up-to-date translation for it and a new Traditional Chinese(zh_Hant_HK) translation, too.
    I also deleted 3 redundant blanks in the original English texts.
    BTW I updated the Chinese text in .modinfo too. As for now they are actually called "Real World Simulation Map Pack"... I changed them to a more literal name.

Is there anywhere I can give you the files I changed? Is uploading them in this reply okay for you?

18. Gedemon

Are you using other mods ?

It seems that something else has changed the configuration settings, the map size in the log is incorrect as if it has been deleted.

You shouldn't be able to see "Start Position Link" when "Civilization Placement" is set to "True Starting Position", and other options are shown while they shouldn't (like "Ressourcen" when "Resource Placement" is "Import")

Different langage shouldn't matter, but I suppose you could do a test with the UI in English just to be sure.

As a workaround, try to change "Start Position Link" to "Random" to prevent the Ethnic placement to overwrite the TSL placement (and I'd suggest to use one of the "Euro" ruleset, there is one that just prevent non-euro CS and Civilization to be selected)

Great ! :)

If you're not confortable with GitHub, you can upload the file here, I'll do the merge.

19. 10KEyeCandy

10KEyeCandy Chieftain

Alright. I'll just upload it here then.

The files I changed and the original file from alpha .13 are all in there so you can easily figure out the differences.
    Thanks for the amazing mod, too!

Attached Files:

20. braveheart1

braveheart1 Chieftain

boys Added the ability to decrease the size of the earth map?