Selenites Pack

Von Hardwigg and Harry + Hans :)

nowadays, it would be disturbing if Harry married his first cousin :eek:

You've read the infamous 1871 Griffith and Farran's transdaptation (translation-adaptation). I haven't read it myself but it appears there were a lot of modifications. Names have been changed, whole paragraphs modified, added or deleted. It's generally considered a translation of lesser quality. It's amazing it's still used in modern books, as at least one other English translation is also free of rights (1877 Malleson's translation - with only minor edits).

Amazing Work, Supa! These were just what we needed for the Selenite Civ in the Lost Worlds Mod.

It's useful to remember that, although no one in their right mind will play our mod as the Selenites (unless they want to have a dull, hopelessly anachronistic game), they will be an AI civ that our human heroes will encounter, and for that purpose, these are just about perfect.

I liked'em so much that I downloaded them immediately and put them directly into the game, so that I could see them in action (I've been up all night, of course). I also put'em all together for a picture - here they are all saying "cheese":

(There was a picture here.)

Note that I'm using NavyDawg's Worker Bug in that screenshot, which seems to go quite well with them, color-wise.

If you're anxious to make more - (and who am I to disagree?) - I can throw you some ideas, easiest first:

A Spearman with a more elaborate spear would be a plausible and simple upgrade.

A Shooter unit could shoot something else...

The Selenite's attack looks like it could also be a throwing or slashing (Sword?) motion.

The size of the Behemoth might be manipulated. A spearman might ride a big one like an elephant..

Behemoth Bug upgrades could belch noxious gas bombs, or have those little shooter units attached...

I imagine the 'settler' to be a burrower - either a worker bug digging down into the dirt, or something like a larvae that comes out the backside of a big bug and begins burrowing. Or just a larvae in a sack carried by a Selenite.

Thanks for the comments!

It's great to see units you've made in-game! Thanks, Balthasar.

Although I thought their civ-color would be gray (very original, I know), the pink looks nice. The Workbug looks very nice, I wasn't aware NavyDawg made it.

It's useful to remember that, although no one in their right mind will play our mod as the Selenites (unless they want to have a dull, hopelessly anachronistic game), they will be an AI civ that our human heroes will encounter, and for that purpose, these are just about perfect.

Why is that ? Is it related to tech-tree issues ? I've already planned to play my second game as the Selenites. :D

Thanks for the ideas, they're duly noted. I've got already of few more of my own - I read (again) the first part of the novel before making this pack, I've now finished the second part.

Why is that ? Is it related to tech-tree issues ? I've already planned to play my second game as the Selenites. :D
I think it has more to do with space on the map & their ability to expand (no spaceships). In other scenario(s) they will probably be more viable as a player civ.

I've got already of few more of my own - I read (again) the first part of the novel before making this pack, I've now finished the second part.
Have you also looked at the 1960s era movie?
Would the brainy Selenite work as a Great Leader?
This is the "Great Lunar" (queen/king):

The staff has a sort of glowing energy crystal on the end (attack anim?) Something like that could do for the GL as well. Don't know that an army unit would necessarily need to display how many occupants. Maybe someone with experience could make an m-unit & someone who knows palettes do that part.

Thought there was a centipede / caterpillar unit that would do for a Moon Calf. Could only find tom2050's Carrion Crawler. A nice unit, but doesn't really match the color scheme. OTOH your Space Crystal nicely combines the idea of a grub & the crystals used by the Selenites. There ought to be a place for it somewhere in the Selenite unit line. Or maybe there are plans to add Mothra's larval form to the kaiju line? And whatever happened to your Termites?

Have you also looked at the 1905s era movie?

1905s ? I assume you meant 1964 movie, with Ray Harryhausen stop-motion. I have yet to see it, unfortunately.

Thought there was a centipede / caterpillar unit that would do for a Moon Calf. Could only find tom2050's Carrion Crawler. A nice unit, but doesn't really match the color scheme.

Funny, I was thinking of exactly that unit for the Moon-Calf, although a bigger version would be more accurate.

OTOH your Space Crystal nicely combines the idea of a grub & the crystals used by the Selenites. There ought to be a place for it somewhere in the Selenite unit line.

The Crystals focus comes from the 1964 movie ? I've glanced over the Wikipedia summary, trying to get some informations without spoiling it myself - it looks like a (somewhat) sequel to the novel. That plus Harryhausen effects makes me very interested in it.

Or maybe there are plans to add Mothra's larval form to the kaiju line? And whatever happened to your Termites?

If I can find an appropriate model, be sure I'll make the larvae Mothra. If not, I'd settle for a caterpillar model and I'd voodoo it the best I can. The two finished termites units are still on my HDD. If they're needed, I'd gladly share them. But the plan is to make a full pack of them first - if I can dig up the model, it's been a while since I've made them. The Insect MOD is way back on the back-burner.

Date corrected.

Crystals were the main tech / energy source for the Selenites in the film. Don't think the movie is so much a sequel as a "hollywoodization". There several "steampunk" films made during that era - mostly Vernean like Master of the World or 20,000 Leagues. IIRC you can watch a lo-rez version on youtube.

Termites would be nice to have for the Hollow Earth scenario. That's a ways off, so no hurry.

Realized that I posted the picture but wasn't explicit - yes, a Brainy Selenite is perfect for the Leader / GL.

Crystals were the main tech / energy source for the Selenites in the film.

Roger that. What about a upgraded Spearman, with a staff ending with an energized crystal ?

Don't think the movie is so much a sequel as a "hollywoodization". There several "steampunk" films made during that era - mostly Vernean like Master of the World or 20,000 Leagues. IIRC you can watch a lo-rez version on youtube.

I found a Zone 2 British DVD on Amazon.fr. I'll eventually buy it.

Realized that I posted the picture but wasn't explicit - yes, a Brainy Selenite is perfect for the Leader / GL.

I distinguish the brainy-type, I should start to call them Administrator like in the novel, like Phi-Oo, from the Grand Lunar itself. The Administrators are shorter Selenites, with a large, spheric skull and the largest sense of improvisation of all the casts, the Grand Lunar excepted.

The Grand Lunar is giant intellect, housed in a no-less gigantic cranium. His body is almost vestigial.

Spoiler :
"At first as I peered into the radiating glow this quintessential brain looked very much like an opaque, featureless bladder with dim, undulating ghosts of convolutions writhing visibly within. Then beneath its enormity and just above the edge of the throne one saw with a start minute elfin eyes peering out of the glow. No face, but eyes, as if they peered through holes. At first I could see no more than these two staring little eyes, and then below I distinguished the little dwarfed body and its insect-jointed limbs shrivelled and white. The eyes stared down at me with a strange intensity, and the lower part of the swollen globe was wrinkled. Ineffectual-looking little hand-tentacles steadied this shape on the throne….

"It was great. It was pitiful".

Unless the giant green orb is its brain, the Selenite on the picture looks more like an Administrator than the Grand Lunar.

I meant to make an Administrator as Leader-unit.

Unless the giant green orb is its brain, the Selenite on the picture looks more like an Administrator than the Grand Lunar.

Point taken. Only meant if you weren't inclined to make one.

Roger that. What about a upgraded Spearman, with a staff ending with an energized crystal ?

I like that idea.

The Grand Lunar is giant intellect, housed in a no-less gigantic cranium. His body is almost vestigial.

In the movie, that is identified as the Grand Lunar.

That would be welcome. We'll have to figure how to get a leaderhead to match. That will bring the Steampunk team's leaderhead requests up to three.

We'll have to figure how to get a leaderhead to match. That will bring the Steampunk team's leaderhead requests up to three.

To be frank, I'm also planning to do a Grand Lunar (novel) unit, to act as King unit in the game. You might want to match this one for the LH.

I've ordered the DVD, btw.

Holy Mackerel! Terrifying Space-Bugs! Wow! Tremedous, Supa! These are spot on Terrifying Space Bugs, and I know this because I am from Space and we have Terrifying Space Bugs in Space. They are terrifying. Space bugs.

Second wave of Selenites :

Administrator

Available as Leader and Army units. My first Army ! I'm not sure I even used an army in any mod before today.

Spoiler :
"I can hear them," [<unreadable>] "a different sort of Selenite altogether, who appears to be directing the&#8212;" [<unreadable>].
"They have larger brain cases&#8212;much larger, and slenderer bodies, and very short legs. They make gentle noises, and move with organized deliberation&#8230;"
"And though I am wounded and helpless here, their appearance still gives me hope." "They have not shot at me or attempted [<unreadable>] injury. I intend&#8212;"

{Selwyn Cavor}, Cavor Moon Expedition - 1899

in [The First Men in the Moon] (H. G. Wells, 1901)

Regulator

Spoiler Pedia :
And to rule over these things and order any erring tendency there might be in some aberrant natures are the most muscular beings I have seen in the moon, a sort of lunar police, who must have been trained from their earliest years to give a perfect respect and obedience to the swollen heads.

Founding Mother

My first settler.

Spoiler :
"Of the condition of the moon sexes, marrying and giving in marriage, and of birth and so forth among the Selenites, I have as yet been able to learn very little. I am of opinion that, as with the ants and bees, there is a large majority of the members in this community of the neuter sex. Of course on earth in our cities there are now many who never live that life of parentage which is the natural life of man. Here, as with the ants, this thing has become a normal condition of the race, and the whole of such replacement as is necessary falls upon this special and by no means numerous class of matrons, the mothers of the moon-world, large and stately beings beautifully fitted to bear the larval Selenite. Unless I misunderstand an explanation of Phi-oo's, they are absolutely incapable of cherishing the young they bring into the moon; periods of foolish indulgence alternate with moods of aggressive violence, and as soon as possible the little creatures, who are quite soft and flabby and pale coloured, are transferred to the charge of celibate females, women 'workers' as it were, who in some cases possess brains of almost masculine dimensions."

Sniper

An original Selenite. There are two sets of Fortify/Attack/Death, one standing, one crouching.

Download

Very nice yet again.

I might be able to use the Behemoth and Administrator in Modzilla - Behemoth as one of the monstrous insects \ minor kaiju, and the Administrator as a base unit (worker?) for the Alien civ (for the scenario(s) that will have one). Not what you intended but still works well within the lore.

Ack! More terrifying Pace Bumps! They're everywhere! Just like that one time!

Awesome units Supa! :goodjob: Now I'm gonna go looking for some sci-fi mods to add these beauties too ;)

Holy Mackerel! Terrifying Space-Bugs! Wow! Tremedous, Supa! These are spot on Terrifying Space Bugs, and I know this because I am from Space and we have Terrifying Space Bugs in Space. They are terrifying. Space bugs.
Ack! More terrifying Pace Bumps! They're everywhere! Just like that one time!
Hey bartender! Give me whatever he had! :beer:

[smegal like] yes, yes, more alien units, more, more, gives them to us, yes, we like these unit, yes my precious. Yaaahooow! [eats raw fish]

Top Bottom