Balam-Agab's Alice unit

Supa

Out of Cheese Error
I've finally come around to make it. I had to recreate a few textures, mainly transparency maps. I've also switched the shadows from depth map to ray trace.

I've got a few questions for BA and the team :

- Did I forget something ? Is something off ?

- I think you've adopted a more realist proportion scale for your units. I guess a somewhat adult Alice is okay with these proportions ?

- What size ? First is 125x125, bigger than classic human units. Later is 100x100, a more classic Civ size (akin Baron Voodoo, here for comparison sake). I'd go for the smaller but I guess Alice could always eat something.. ^^

- Civ Colors. Blue is supposed to be Civ-Colored ? If not, what ? The yellow markings on the club ?

The blue should be lighter, unless you want it to be civ-colour.

It's meant to be an adult Alice. In proportion to "classic" units like the comparison is fine. At one point there was discussion of the color being on her stockings or hair band. Maybe the belt on the pinafore? Balthasar would have to decide on the civ-color.

If she's meant to be a single starting unit for just one civ then she might not even have to have any civ-coloured spots.

If she's meant to be a single starting unit for just one civ then she might not even have to have any civ-coloured spots.
Except for the fact that the unit is very likely to be used in different scenarios / mods. At the very least by this team. There's plenty of room for a mirror Alice. ;) Or her use as another type of unit.

On further reflection: a size-changing Alice suggests many intriguing possibilities. But it may be complex to do all the animations at multiple sizes in addition to a size-changing one.

Maybe just resize the images themselves?

But it may be complex to do all the animations at multiple sizes in addition to a size-changing one.

Not really. A size-changing unit can work (cf. my Ultraman units). An Alice could grow at the Fortify animation (like Ultraman, but the game sometimes bypass this animation when attacked), or during AttackA, leaving AttackB for a giant looping animation. Also, it could be an always giant Alice.

Any way, Balam-Agab's unit is very well constructed and detailed enough to look good at a bigger scale. If BA doesn't mind, I'll be happy to do a giant version.

I'll wait for Balthasar input for the civ-colors.

What about a lighter blue ?

Have you ever thought about the Alice version, um, alternate interpretation done by MAD in one of their books? With a rabbit saying 'Updok!' and so on?

I did toy around (back when I had the time for this sort of thing) with the idea of having Alice grow for the attack but I ruled it out because of frame size limitation. The alice as I have her does grow and shrink during the fidget but I could not see the attack working well. However, if you think you can make it work well, I say go for it.

How would size change as fortify look when she goes back on the attack or moves? Probably wouldn't be a smooth transition. Just saw you've got it as the fidget. Probably the best solution.

Maybe it could be used as a paradrop anim: land & shrink. If that doesn't work maybe there could be a paradrop with her falling - as in "down the rabbit hole". just the merest suggestion.

Balthasar / KA hold the decision as to the dress color. imho the color looks fine, but if paler looks better to you go for it - you know more about what works.

How would size change as fortify look when she goes back on the attack or moves?

She would pop right back at normal size after the size. It didn't bother me with Ultraman but it's your call.

Maybe it could be used as a paradrop anim: land & shrink.

BA already covered the paradrop with a really nice animation.

Just thinking about ways to use that particular animation. Please make it - regardless of whether it seems to fit the available actions now. Alice may be used with other ability flags in other mods. It's such an iconic action it would be shame not to have an animation of her size change available. As a stand alone it can be renamed by anyone who uses it.

Sorry to come so late to the conversation; I tend to check my 'subscriptions' folder only, & missed this new thread until this afternoon. Firstly, it looks great Supa.

BA did tell me once that he intended a 'growth' animation (eat me) for Alice, so that might explain the way the files accommodate the larger version. I like the idea, even as an alt animation. Otherwise, it looks just fine at Baron Voodoo size.

As for civ color: in the Lost Worlds scenario I'd prefer that she look exactly as she does in the preview, with no civ color; it looks great as it is, as far as I'm concerned. If you want to do a second version - with a civ colored skirt, I'd think - I have no objection, of course.

This is just so excellent.

PS In the did I miss anything? department, do you have a little white bow prop that you can stick at her waistline in the back? That's all I can see, but ignore me if it's any more difficult than an after-thought.

Please make it - regardless of whether it seems to fit the available actions now

Paradrop Shrunk/Grow then. Will do.

Sorry to come so late to the conversation; I tend to check my 'subscriptions' folder only, & missed this new thread until this afternoon.

Bad Balthasar ! ;)

Firstly, it looks great Supa.

All praise should go to Balam, he's the creator, I'm merely the renderer. :)

do you have a little white bow prop that you can stick at her waistline in the back?

I'll check if I can do that.

Sorry to come so late to the conversation; I tend to check my 'subscriptions' folder only, & missed this new thread until this afternoon.
It's possible to subscribe to forums as well - in the forum tools drop-down menu. You'll be notified when new threads are started.

Top Bottom