heavy limited terraforming methoth (hills / mountians)

_ghost_

Warlord
Hi

i played around with the editor. if u set "plant forest " or "clear forest" as possible worrkerjob in te editor for the menioned terrain u get after workersjob is done eighter a forested grassland or a empty grasland. ... (thats tested by me)

thus means we are able to change a lot of the worldmap! unfortunately i see no way to revers this event to get hills or ountians back.

ah by the way. i testet it also with dessert terrain. there ths way doesn't work.
that remembers me of a thread a user studied "global warming events" and how the given terrain changes cuz of this.

it seems here are the same relations given bout what is possible. but that is only a guess by muself. thats not testet.

thats a nice thing i liked to share with u.

I have a hard time understanding what you are saying when you write like that.

You want to use forests to make some sort of terraforming? That could be done.

Hi

if u set "plant forest " or "clear forest" as possible worrkerjob in te editor for the menioned terrain u get after workersjob is done eighter a forested grassland or a empty grasland. ...

thus means we are able to change a lot of the worldmap! unfortunately i see no way to revers this event to get hills or ountians back.

ah by the way. i testet it also with dessert terrain. there ths way doesn't work.
that remembers me of a thread a user studied "global warming events" and how the given terrain changes cuz of this.

it seems here are the same relations given bout what is possible. but that is only a guess by muself. thats not testet.

thats a nice thing what do u think?

I've terraformed with global warming before and I know that: marsh, hills and mountains are overlays for grassland terrain so I've made grass to marsh and jungle before.

I am having trouble understanding your post as well, are you saying you have done this and these are your results or are you asking if this would happen.

I haven't tryed this, but I could see why it would happen, it does seem to fall within the parameters of the game.

What I can see from the post is, you can terraform hills and mountains in to grassland.

quincy got the point! but its a lil more i guess. think further. the errain graphics can be exchanged . also the names of terain in-game and terrain stats. .. so its possible to have other terrain types that are changable. right now i have no concrete idea.

I thought that was what was being stated! :) It's an interesting idea. Could be useful and unique for pre-setup scenarios. I might even use it!

So mountains/hills can't be 'planted on the map', but they can be cut down.

Can't really switch mountains graphics with swamps or forests since those don't have an 'above-horizon' area like mountains / hills do.

As you said though, graphics for plains and grassland could be switched; so plains graphics show under mountains and hills; and the plains graphics could be altered to be whatever. Or something like that.

okay i try tget u through Balthasar.

1. there are workerjobs in game: " clear wetlands" , "plant forest" , ...
2. if u took a look in the editor at the terraintab then u can see that this jobs are set to the acording terain ( "clear wetlands" to "jungle" for example)
3. its possible to give other terain that has no workerjobs at the moment this jobs ( for example "clear wetlands" to "mountians" )
4 if this is done a worker gets the "cllear wetlands" button displayed while he i on a "mountain" tile.
5. tell the worker that he " clears wetlands"
6. after the worker did his job the mountian is gone and u got a "grasland" tile instead.

so that is a example that works in similar ways for other terrain types .

i hope this time its better to get the point. ifnot tell me and i try again. ( sorry my english is not realy good)

Basically, from what I can tell, the discovery is that worker jobs (clear forest, clear wetland) dealing with overlay terrain (forest, jungle, marsh) can be applied to other terrain types (hill, mountain, volcano) causing them to revert to their base terrain type (grassland). But since you're then dealing with a regular grassland tile, you can only "replant" a forest, not recover the original terrain.

Code:
[Hill, Mountain, Volcano] -> [Clear Forest, Clear Wetland] -> Grassland -> Plant Forest -> Forest

Thank you, I've got it now. Interesting exploit. Has anyone else playtested this? If this is true, it has some uses I could think of immediately, for instance, in an urban mod, as 'urban renewal' to create 'green space', especially on a map like my Manhattan Terrain, where the volcanoes are belching factories!. But there are far too many more uses for this, now that I think of it, to list here. Good find, ghost!

...so this kid wandered in, and just sorta pointed and said, "why don'tcha do that the other way? It'd be a whole lot easier." And we said, "what other way?" 'cause we'd been doin' it that way for nigh on ten years without ever thinkin' there was any other way to do it. And he showed us. And we felt just plain dumb as mules......

Thank you, I've got it now. Interesting exploit. Has anyone else playtested this? If this is true, it has some uses I could think of immediately...

It works! I just play-tested it. I sent out a worker to the middle hill to the NW:

And 4 turns later the hill was transformed to a grassland:

Attachments

• Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 266
  • After.JPG
    After.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 265
oh my...by the Power of Einstein , someone wont believe that :)

Great to know , that we can do that , so practically , we can terraform hills , and pretty much everything else , oh man i feel like a god :)

Top Bottom