100% of Republican Senators Against 100% of Reagan's Budgets

JollyRoger

Slippin' Jimmy
Supporter
Bruce Bartlett takes a look at the Balanced Budget Amendment all 47 Republicans signed their names to and pronounces it “quite possibly the stupidest constitutional amendment I think I have ever seen. It looks like it was drafted by a couple of interns on the back of a napkin.”

I think “stupid” is the wrong word. “Dangerous” is more like it. And maybe “radical.” This isn’t just a Balanced Budget Amendment. It also includes a provision saying that tax increases would require a two-thirds majority in both houses of Congress — so, it includes a provision making it harder to balance the budget — and another saying that total spending couldn’t exceed 18 percent of GDP. No allowances are made for recessions, though allowances are made for wars. Not a single year of the Bush administration would qualify as constitutional under this amendment. Nor would a single year of the Reagan administration. The Clinton administration would’ve had exactly two years in which it wasn’t in violation.

Read that again: Every single Senate Republican has endorsed a constitutional amendment that would’ve made Ronald Reagan’s fiscal policy unconstitutional.
That’s how far to the right the modern GOP has swung.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/the-worst-idea-in-washington/2011/03/10/AFzQaOIC_blog.html

I like it that the GOP is finally coming to terms with Bill Cinton's superiority to Reagan.

Ronald Reagan was also a tax raiser.

Ahh the good old days when Clinton was here...

Obama needs to bail out CFC (too big too fail) before he caves in to Republican demands.

I call shenanigans on the OP.

What Jolly is miss.....errr, actually all of you are missing this: the "in-violation" budgets that occurred during the Reagan, Bush (which one??) and Clinton administrations were not written by the President. They were agreed upon by the President AND CONGRESS.

Which completely changes the picture, and reveals Jolly's conclusion to be (once again) bullcrap.

During the Reagan Administration, the Senate was sometimes controlled by the Democrats, but mostly controlled by the Republicans--and the Democrats controlled the House all eight years. George Bush Sr. had it even tougher--the Democrats controlled both the Senate and House all four years of his term. Meaning......guess what, folks.....all the budgets Bush Sr. ended up signing were written by DEMOCRATS. With Clinton it's more complicated; the Republicans controlled both houses of Congress for the last six of Clinton's years (including the years when the budget actually ran a surplus!).

Meaning that many (but not all!) of the violating budgets were actually written by the Democrats. And the two Clinton budgets that did not violate? Written by Republicans.

BUUUUSTEEEEED! :spank:

And, from 2001 to 2007, when the Republicans controlled everything... :p

I miss the immoral scumbag Clinton

Maybe if they instead said requires 2/3 majority to change taxes, either raise or lower.

No, still stupid policy to constitutionalize. (And lowering taxes when relevant to balanced budgets is moronic, of course.) A legislature needs more fiscal tools, not less.

Well, if you like California's budget crises and want to nationalize them, be my guest.

I call shenanigans on the OP.

What Jolly is miss.....errr, actually all of you are missing this: the "in-violation" budgets that occurred during the Reagan, Bush (which one??) and Clinton administrations were not written by the President. They were agreed upon by the President AND CONGRESS.

Which completely changes the picture, and reveals Jolly's conclusion to be (once again) bullcrap.

During the Reagan Administration, the Senate was sometimes controlled by the Democrats, but mostly controlled by the Republicans--and the Democrats controlled the House all eight years. George Bush Sr. had it even tougher--the Democrats controlled both the Senate and House all four years of his term. Meaning......guess what, folks.....all the budgets Bush Sr. ended up signing were written by DEMOCRATS. With Clinton it's more complicated; the Republicans controlled both houses of Congress for the last six of Clinton's years (including the years when the budget actually ran a surplus!).

Meaning that many (but not all!) of the violating budgets were actually written by the Democrats. And the two Clinton budgets that did not violate? Written by Republicans.

BUUUUSTEEEEED! :spank:

Yeah brah, we already know good things are the fault of Republicans, and bad things are the fault of Democrats.

Read that again: Every single Senate Republican has endorsed a constitutional amendment that would’ve made Ronald Reagan’s fiscal policy unconstitutional. That’s how far to the right the modern GOP has swung.

And the Dems have gone nearly as far right.

GOOD! Let's do it! I have to live within my means, so should Washington!

The government is not a private individual and need not follow the same rules.

Even consumers are allowed to carry debt, that's the point of mortgages and such. If we all had to "live within our means" home ownership would be far more rare.

You know if there wasn't a government we wouldn't have to waste time talking about this nonsense.

I hope this gets passed.

I also hope the Republican ticket is Gingrich/Trump.

And I hope they win, and make Palin SoS.

Top Bottom