2020 Election Thread!!!!!!!!!

What is the basis for this opinion?
What I meant by what I said was that the media has found no smoking gun, the Dems are placing everything on being able to remove Trump from office somehow, and this is distracting them from focusing on actually stopping his agenda. And that impeachment usually doesn't happen unless the people are in support of it, for the people to support impeaching Trump the Dems need to convince them that Democratic policy is good for them. People will lose interest in the Russian investigation unless something very definitive is found. Evidence has been found, but it is partially circumstantial evidence also we should remember that it would take time to unravel all the loose threads that lead to the really incriminating stuff, mainstream people would not stop paying attention so easily if the Dems would stop acting like Trump was going to get impeached every time they found some circumstantial evidence.

No Republicans have ever won the presidential election without winning Ohio, so Senator "Sherrod Brown" may be one of the best candidates.

Donald Trump won Ohio by around 8%(2.84 millions to 2.39 millions), that's a very big change from 4 years ago when Barack Obama won Ohio by 3%(2.83 millions to 2.66 millions).

The big problem was the Democrats didn't motivate their base.

The big problem was the Democrats didn't motivate their base.

I see a lot of opinions similar

As a foreigner I am able to understand core "values" of the Republicans, whereby some of them have a high negative value for me, but when it is about understanding, that is beside the point.

However, still from a distance, I fail to recognise core values of the democrats

Another article has come out regarding the Democrats and their move to the left. Here is the summary paragraph.
http://cookpolitical.com/analysis/n.../democrats-leftward-shift-and-its-impact-2020

Talk to most Democratic strategists these days and you hear a lot of frustration about a lack of a compelling or cohesive Democratic message or narrative. This Pew data, however, gives us a pretty good idea of where the core values of the party lie. And, these values have moved dramatically left since the 1990s. Whether these positions are winners in a general election (as Penn worries), is another debate all together. But, a Democrat who wants to win the 2020 nomination has to speak as forcefully on structural racism as they do on economic inequality. The base is passionate - and unified - about both.
The Republicans have no such handicap. As much as they dislike him personally, Ted Cruz is giving a very cohesive message.

J

No Republicans have ever won the presidential election without winning Ohio, so Senator "Sherrod Brown" may be one of the best candidates.
Speaking of Sherrod Brown, his seat is up for election in 2018. How close it is and whether he wins or loses will be an indication of whether Trump's victory in Ohio means that other Republicans will do well in Ohio or if his victory by 8 points in Ohio was a unique event. Basically I'm saying it will be an indication of whether Trump's victory in Ohio was a move in the state away from the left and to the right or if it was solely connected to Trump and anger at the establishment and not his right-wing policies.

However, still from a distance, I fail to recognise core values of the democrats

Which is hardly surprising given that, since Donald Trump descended that escalator, the Democrats' core values have consisted of "we're not Donald Trump," and the few politicians who have tried to change this (e.g. Bernie Sanders) have been sabotaged and ostracized by the party elders.

Which is hardly surprising given that, since Donald Trump descended that escalator, the Democrats' core values have consisted of "we're not Donald Trump," and the few politicians who have tried to change this (e.g. Bernie Sanders) have been sabotaged and ostracized by the party elders.
And when they or their supporters speak up, the immediate response is "OMG SHUDDUP BERNIEBROS TRYIN TO DIVIDE MUH PARTI!!!!!!1!1". This party deserves (and is doing everything in their power) to lose, it's just a shame that millions of people get screwed over when they lose to Republicans and/or whatever the hell Goldilocks is supposed to be.

But, a Democrat who wants to win the 2020 nomination has to speak as forcefully on structural racism as they do on economic inequality.
I think this may prove relatively easy to do after four years of Trump.

Frankly, I think "Make America Great Again" may be a perfectly valid campaign slogan for a Democrat in 2020.

But, a Democrat who wants to win the 2020 nomination has to speak as forcefully on structural racism as they do on economic inequality. The base is passionate - and unified - about both.
Is this a joke? The Democrats have ignored economic inequality in favor of social issues for years.

And when they or their supporters speak up, the immediate response is "OMG SHUDDUP BERNIEBROS TRYIN TO DIVIDE MUH PARTI!!!!!!1!1". This party deserves (and is doing everything in their power) to lose, it's just a shame that millions of people get screwed over when they lose to Republicans and/or whatever the hell Goldilocks is supposed to be.

Yes, my predictions for 2018 have ranged from gloomy to grisly.

Was this before or after the party adopted his health care proposal as their own?

The criticisms I hear about the party "not having a message" seem extraordinarily silly. We're a year+ from the next federal election cycle. It is impossible to predict now what the playing field is going to look like - the current economy and perceptions thereabouts are of huge import in crafting a message. We also don't know what, if anything, the Republicans will manage to pass.

Trump is unpopular. Unpopular presidents tend to see their party get shellacked in midterms. At this point, "Not Trump" is absolutely the best message, and will remain so until pretty close to the election if not all the way through it.

Did we really all forget last year that Trump ran on a platform of, "I'm not Hillary Clinton," and became president? That message can get results, man.

Last edited:
Yeah, now that Trump is actually a thing, instead of just promises, it will be possible to run on "I won't be Trump" and have that mean very specific things.

In some ways every election year is like its own unique battlefield. One must study it carefully and not blindly compare it to other election years or overgeneralized oversimplified trends, especially in unusual election years. 2018 and 2020 are going to be more unique battlefields than other recent election years. I personally think the uncertainty is so exciting! But that is probably because I find politics fascinating.

2020 is an election year and also a census year, which means reapportionment. This will have an impact on the number of electoral votes available. Here is an early estimate of the revised Congressional seats.
Reapportionment will not affect 2020 election just like it didn't effect 2010 or 2000. The first election it will impact is 2022.

2020 state elections will, of course, impact redistricting. The next 2 elections and the results of Gill vs. Whitford will have a big impact on politics of the 2020s

Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Michigan are the 6 key checkmate states. Hillary Clinton only won Virginia thanked to her running mate Tim Kaine.

A democratic hopeful ought to call at least 1 of these 6 states a homestate such as Sherrod Brown from Ohio.

This site allows you to make your own election map and share -
https://www.270towin.com/

Florida, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania are the keys, they are good enough to secure the presidency for the democrats even if they lose all other battleground states -

Attachments

• Rust Belt and Florida.png
    Rust Belt and Florida.png
    86.3 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
Top Bottom