2020 Election Thread!!!!!!!!!

I can't be the only one who thinks Oprah is more inspiring on a personal level than the likes of Kirsten Gillibrand or Corey Booker.

All of the arguments against seem to leave out the fact that an actual inspiring candidate doesn't really exist. At least, not among the most prominent names being floated. I'm looking more for which mayors and governors will be growing in profile in the next year. And I pray not Bill de Blasio.
It certainly won't be Cuomo after the NYC subway fiasco.

She has something that I think voters will be very much hungering for after four years of Trump: a certain kind of non-sanctimonious moral authority.

I don't however like the precedent Trump set of celebrities with no previous record of public service thinking they can parachute into the highest office in the land. She'd do a better job than Trump, I have no doubt.

I dunno, if you watch enough of Congresspeople appearing on TV, you start to realize that none of them seems to have a clue about the issues, either. All they do is regurgitate talking points and duck any questions and then circle back to repeating their talking points. I don't think there is much that your average member of Congress actually brings to the table that makes them fit to be president. I mean, there's even a saying about it - politics is for people who are too ugly or untalented to make it in show business. It's kind of a cruel sentiment, but there's also a nugget of truth to it. And now with the 24 hour news cycle, politics more than ever is as much performance art as it is anything else.

I don't know that Oprah is "better" than Trump, in terms of being willing to put in the work and actually gain the knowledge and competencies necessary to actually do the job. I do know that she actually had to work for everything she has built, whereas Trump had it all handed to him by his parents, so I don't doubt the work ethic is there. But beyond that, who knows?

I dunno, if you watch enough of Congresspeople appearing on TV, you start to realize that none of them seems to have a clue about the issues, either. All they do is regurgitate talking points and duck any questions and then circle back to repeating their talking points. I don't think there is much that your average member of Congress actually brings to the table that makes them fit to be president. I mean, there's even a saying about it - politics is for people who are too ugly or untalented to make it in show business. It's kind of a cruel sentiment, but there's also a nugget of truth to it. And now with the 24 hour news cycle, politics more than ever is as much performance art as it is anything else.

I don't know that Oprah is "better" than Trump, in terms of being willing to put in the work and actually gain the knowledge and competencies necessary to actually do the job. I do know that she actually had to work for everything she has built, whereas Trump had it all handed to him by his parents, so I don't doubt the work ethic is there. But beyond that, who knows?
and, AND!... her election will not embolden please the Klan, Nazis, etc... so there's that

Last edited:
She has something that I think voters will be very much hungering for after four years of Trump: a certain kind of non-sanctimonious moral authority.

I don't however like the precedent Trump set of celebrities with no previous record of public service thinking they can parachute into the highest office in the land. She'd do a better job than Trump, I have no doubt.
This is what bugs me about speculation that Oprah will run. I don't know enough about her political views to have any other opinion on her though.

and, AND!... her election will not embolden the Klan, Nazis, etc... so there's that
I'm confused... Obama's election did embolden and reinvigorate the Klan. Trump was their coming out party but they were already well on the rise before that.

Top Bottom