2020 NFL Regular Season Thread Presented by Bizzaro World

Yeah, but they're not getting a good draft pick to find a replacement. The problem with trading up is they have a lot of other needs. Personally, I would play him for one more year then use the draft capital from this draft to keep the offense chugging along (that at a bare minimum, but moreover it needs upgrades) then the next draft go all-in on finding the QB of the future after you've already put them in a position to succeed.

Jags have #1 due to strength of schedule tiebreaker - in this case, weaker schedule wins.

Darth Hoodie being the evil defensive-minded genius he is, I figure the Pats will lose to the Jest in the last regular-season game, just to keep that #1 draft pick out of the AFC East. A zero-zero game tied toward the end of the game, and Cam runs out the back of their own endzone: Jets fail to lose with a 2-0 score.

I don't think Belichick will intentionally lose a game for any reason.

edit: especially the season after he lost Brady.

We have an interesting week coming up.

In NFL history only four TE have ever reached 1300 yards receiving, with the record of 1377. Travis Kelce has 1318. No TE has ever led the league in receiving yardage. Kelce is 2nd to DeAndre Hopkins 1325.

J

is that only for the regular season or can that stat include playoff runs?

All 'single season' records (even 'career' records) are regular season only, unless it specifically says "including playoffs".

Okay, the 1-13 hoping-for-the-first-pick-of-the-draft Jets manage to beat the 10-4 Browns? :rotfl: :lmao::yeah::thanx:

Leaving the AFC with, if the Packers beat the Titans tonight, a 5-way tie of 10-5 teams vying for four playoff spots. It'll be like NFL musical chairs, and whoever loses next week is out. Unfortunately that may well be my Fins as they play the Bills, but still, interesting and competitive.

Unlike the the other conference, where it seems probable that the NFC East will bring a division champion with a losing record...

Nfc east champion will be either 7-9 or 6-10 (barring any tie games). Looked like the jets were looking to catch Bengals in wins and drop another draft spot, but the Bengals win their game.

Edit: I want the giants to beat cowboys, washington to lose, for a three way tie at 6-10, who wins tiebreaker?

Edit2: Giants win division in that tiebreaker scenario because of 4-2 division record.

Last edited:
Leaving the AFC with... a 5-way tie of 10-5 teams vying for four playoff spots. It'll be like NFL musical chairs, and whoever loses next week is out. Unfortunately that may well be my Fins as they play the Bills, but still, interesting and competitive.

Yeah both the Bills and the Steelers will be wanting that #2 seed (i.e. guaranteed home game in the divisionals, as well as not having to face the Chiefs till the AFC title game). Dolphins are getting some starters back, but we're also playing in Buffalo, which traditionally hasn't boded well for the 'Phins in January. But things are looking up for the Dolphins, especially with us currently holding the #4 draft pick next Spring: I think the 'Phins take a receiver at that spot to stretch the field and open things up for Tua.

Okay, the 1-13 hoping-for-the-first-pick-of-the-draft Jets manage to beat the 10-4 Browns? :rotfl: :lmao::yeah::thanx:

I'd say "that is the most Jets thing ever" (i.e. losing out in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes), but I think that cliché has been completely worn out already by this season's Jets. At least we won't be seeing Trevor Lawrence twice a year in the AFC East.

BTW I got to wear my Christmas present while I watched the game Saturday night - probably why the Dolphins won! :yup:
Fitzmagic jersey.png

Yeah both the Bills and the Steelers will be wanting that #2 seed (i.e. guaranteed home game in the divisionals, as well as not having to face the Chiefs till the AFC title game). Dolphins are getting some starters back, but we're also playing in Buffalo, which traditionally hasn't boded well for the 'Phins in January. But things are looking up for the Dolphins, especially with us currently holding the #4 draft pick next Spring: I think the 'Phins take a receiver at that spot to stretch the field and open things up for Tua.

Yeah, we're definitely playing with house money this season, I'm happy enough with a winning record much less being in playoff contention, and that draft pick should do wonders for our receiver corps.

I'd say "that is the most Jets thing ever" (i.e. losing out in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes), but I think that cliché has been completely worn out already by this season's Jets. At least we won't be seeing Trevor Lawrence twice a year in the AFC East.

Thinking about it, it's beyond "the most Jets thing ever" because it's also "the most Browns thing ever". No good plans can possibly succeed against both of those forces combined.

BTW I got to wear my Christmas present while I watched the game Saturday night - probably why the Dolphins won! :yup:
View attachment 579538

:agree::dance::clap::rockon::eekdance::w00t::band::beer::banana::thanx:

:popcorn: watching Pats fans exiting the bandwagon...

I don't live in New England and don't know any Patriots fans, but if I knew someone who is leaving the team as soon as the glory days are over, I am shaming them hard 100% for the rest of my life until they die.

:popcorn: watching Pats fans exiting the bandwagon...

My daughter brought home a Patriots fan from college (this, after I told her explicitly not to), and now he's going to be my son-in-law....

I don't think the Evil Empire is dead: cap space issues and a lot of players doing the COVID opt out affected them, so I expect the Pats to bounce back next year and be more competitive.

In other news, the Steelers are going to rest Big Ben "and other unnamed key starters" against the Browns:

https://www.nfl.com/news/tomlin-big-ben-to-rest-vs-browns-mason-rudolph-to-start

Hopefully Mason Rudolph can keep his helmet on this time.

Long range weather outlook for Buffalo is +3C and rain/snow for the game: not good at all for a warm weather team like Miami! However I think this favors Flores' decision to go back to Tua, as he is more mobile than Fitzpatrick, meaning more reliance on the read/look option plays where Tua can use his legs.

D

Is the game completely unimportant for the Steelers? Could losing the game affect their playoff home-field advantage?

Is the game completely unimportant for the Steelers? Could losing the game affect their playoff home-field advantage?

If the Steelers win and the Bills lose on Sunday the Steelers get the #2 seed, which means a guaranteed 2 home games (as opposed to travelling for their divisional round matchup). From what the linked article I posted above inferred from the Steelers, it looks like they feel resting some of their starters takes precedence over the chance at getting the #2 seed.

D

The Dolphins are no pushover, the Bills could easily lose. I disagree with this completely.

The Dolphins are no pushover, the Bills could easily lose. I disagree with this completely.

I can't disagree with your statement, however the Steelers might be worse off physically than Tomlin is letting on. Also, Pittsburg didn't get a bye this year because of the COVID rescheduling, so they might be suffering from mental fatigue, as well.

And this from the Bills today:
Will Sean McDermott follow Mike Tomlin’s lead and rest Josh Allen and other key starters, give the unit some playing time before Wild Card Weekend or play them all four quarters? Buffalo’s head coach said the team has a plan in place.
“Those conversations have taken place and we have a plan,” Sean McDermott told reporters shortly after their 38-9 win over the New England Patriots. “I want to keep that plan internal, for a number of reasons. Number one, I haven’t had a chance to talk to our players yet. At the end of the day, it’s trying to do what’s best for our football team and every team’s different.”

Link to the whole article:
https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bi...ay-against-miami-sean-mcdermott-has-plan.html

Technically Pittsburgh got a bye, but since it was all the way back in week 4, probably unplanned, then yes you might as well say they didn't get one.

With no crowds, home field advantage hasn't given teams the advantage as in years past, after week 14 the home team had a 103-104-1 record.

However, road teams do worse when having to travel to a different time zone....Every AFC team with a shot at a playoff spot are in the Eastern time zone except for KC (and Titans, barely). 1 hour time difference isn't as bad as if it was a team on the west coast with a 3 hour difference.

Bills are trying to get a few thousand fans into their stadium, so that could help their home games, though 6,000 fans aren't as much help as say 60,000 fans.

Schedule of games to watch-playoff implications
----------------
Noon games:
Spoiler :

Pointless games:
---
Vikings-eliminated
vs
Lions-eliminated

Jets-eliminated
vs
Patriots-eliminated

Little importance:
---
Falcons-Eliminated
vs
Buccaneers-#1 wildcard (win) or #2 Wildcard (lose, rams win)

Important:
---
Ravens-Fighting for a wildcard
vs
Bengals-eliminated

Very important:
---
Dolphins-Fighting for a wildcard
vs
Bills-#2 or #3 seed

Steelers-#2 or #3 seed
vs
Browns-Fighting for a wildcard

Potentially important, or pointless:
---
Cowboys-Need to win and a Washington loss to win division
vs
Giants-Need to win and a Washington loss to win division

Afternoon games and night game:
Spoiler :

Pointless:
---
Raiders-eliminated
vs
Broncos-eliminated

Chargers-eliminated
vs
Chiefs-Have #1 seed

Important games (AFC)
---
Jaguars-Eliminated
vs
Colts-Currently out. Need to win and Titan loss to win division. Can get wildcard with win (Titan win) and another 10-5 team loses (Browns, Ravens, Dolphins)

Titans-Currently leading division. Win or Colts loss will win division. If Colts get division (Titan loss), fighting for wildcard (need Ravens or Dolphins to lose)
vs
Texans-Eliminated

Important games (NFC)
---
Cardinals- Currently out, need win to get a wildcard.
vs
Rams-Can get anywhere from #1 wildcard (win, Bucs lose) to out of the playoffs (loss, Bears win).

Saints-#1 seed only if win, GB loss, SEA win (three way tie at 12-4)
vs
Panthers-Eliminated

Packers-#1 seed with win or Seattle loss
vs
Bears-Wildcard with win or Cardinal loss

Seahawks-#1 seed with win AND Packers loss AND Saints loss
vs
49ers-eliminated

Night game:
Washington-Win to win division
vs
Eagles-eliminated

Last edited:
I think they should be starting Tua anyway.

Top Bottom